I Found This Interesting... Must Read

B16RacerN2NR

:
2006 Mazda 5
OK, I don't know about this being a 'must read' but it got your attention so here we go lol...

I was reading this thread http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123706255

This part got my attention:
For some reason, the Mazda5 won't shift to lower gears when the car starts slowing down when climbing long hills unless I really press hard on the accelerator

I noticed this EXACT samething when I took my car to the dealer on monday. I took a canyon road which had it's fair share of hills. I would be at a steady speed and as soon as I started up an incline and the car started to slow down a bit, I couldn't get the tranny to downshift to third unless I almost put the pedal to the floor.

Now when I picked the car up this morning I took the same road home and on the inclines I would barely give it any gas and it would down shift for me. I tried different speeds and no matter how fast I was going, if the car was slowing down due to an incline I would barely touch the gas pedal and it down shifts.

It just hit me right now that the dealer did the reprogram to the PCM for the 'Engine Stumble' TSB... You guys think that the reprogram had anything to do with helping out the MZ5 downshift problem?

I would not put it out the realm of possibility. They have been upgrading the software all along for unrelated issues, so when you get the lates and greatest to fix your specific issue, you get all the other goodies too.

See my experience from the Engine Stumble TSB below, try it out sometime... lol!
on a slightly off topic note, though, just had the ECU reprogrammed the other day for the engine stumble TSB (seems to have worked so far). Not sure if some recent software upgrade, related or not, made this difference, but I was wringing 'er out today, and noticed that at full throttle, when the tach hits 6k, the engine really growls to life similar to a VTEC motor. Not sure what the engine's doing... I know we don't have lift like a Honda VTEC or a Toyota VVTL-i, but something significant happens. Mentioned this before a year or so ago in a seperate topic, but now it's at a higher RPM, louder growl, and there's a noticeable sudden burst of power too.

my fix for hills is less scientific, but more accurate.

G12-7666c.jpg

but seriously, transmissions can be reprogrammed but I would assume they would have told you had they done something of the sort. It's possible the ECU reset that occured after a reflash, is what is currently solving the problem with your transmission. You could always ask them to see what they say.

Yeah I was thinking that the new software would 'fix' a few other bugs.

Anyone who hasn't gotten the Engine Stumble TSB done should consider it asap :D

my fix for hills is less scientific, but more accurate.

Nice mod, it gives it that Arcade game look, LOL

But back on topic. Although I have MT and the stumble has not happened, I'm now considering this TSB more seriously, good feedback from the ones who had applied so far :D

I say just try and go get it done while your warranty is still valid :)
yep, if you check out the TSB and look closely, you can see that this is one of the very few TSB's where the first instruction for the tech to follow isn't "Verify concern." In other words, most issues they must duplicate before they'll touch it, this one they'll take your word for it and just make the change.

Just make sure your VIN falls in the range of 5's covered ;)

yep, if you check out the TSB and look closely, you can see that this is one of the very few TSB's where the first instruction for the tech to follow isn't "Verify concern." In other words, most issues they must duplicate before they'll touch it, this one they'll take your word for it and just make the change.

Just make sure your VIN falls in the range of 5's covered ;)
(iagree)

I told them that the TSB problem wasn't 'mimicable on command' so they took care of it anyway.

Back