Another %&#$%*@% Octane Question!

blkcherimika

:
CX-7 FWD, Bose 6CD & MoonRoof, PDS
O.K.... So our 7 is the wife's daily driver. I get to drive it on weekends - if she says so.

Sunday, I'm out in it on an errand and notice that it's running like a scalded rabbit! No lag, all kick, and I'm lovin' it.

So when I get home I say "Baby, what the "heck" did you put in the gas tank!?!" And she says "Did I ruin it? I put 89 mid-grade in for the last two fill-ups."

Shoot, we may try a tank of regular just to see if it shreds the tires. (spin)

What's up?

why just kidding??

I have 20 K miles on my 2007 CX7. 15 K has been with 85/87 octane and it flys. I will never put 91 in my CX-7 again. It runs like crap, hesitates and lags with 91 octane. That's my experience with my vehicle, and I don't care what you put in your vehicle.

Man I wouldn't go below 89 octane...if you're running 85/87 consistently I hope you bought the extended warranty and don't tell your service dept. what low grade gas you're using if you want the motor fixed under warranty some day. Gas prices suck but you're only saving a couple bucks per tank using low grade. Mid grade ,89, is probably A-OK since a lot of that gas actually has a higher octane than posted...so I've heard from someone who should know. If you look at nearly all new cars with a turbo you're going to find that they all require premium. Although you may think you're CX-7 runs amazingly on 87 it definitely won't run better in the long run.

I have 20 K miles on my 2007 CX7. 15 K has been with 85/87 octane and it flys. I will never put 91 in my CX-7 again. It runs like crap, hesitates and lags with 91 octane. That's my experience with my vehicle, and I don't care what you put in your vehicle.

Funny you should mention that, people have said they get BETTER mileage with regular! On stock tuning, I would run 87octane without problem. Not with higher boost levels though.

Although you may think you're CX-7 runs amazingly on 87 it definitely won't run better in the long run.

I wouldnt say that. There is no detonation or preignition (the ECU would NEVER allow that), so there is NOOOOOOOO harm for the long run!! With the direct injection and the latent heat of the fuel injected offsetting detonation (as well as the amazingly complex ECU programming), it makes perfect sense.

Not true the 08 was detuned so that you could use regular gas, because all owners were bitching about the cost of filling up.

well actually, the advice began in the 08 yr, however no physical difference exists between the two. The ecu on 07s can adjust for regular as well, i doubt they even rewrote the program, but if they did, the latest firmware should have any changes that may have been made.

They actually did rewrite the tune. The timing curves are no where near as aggresive as the used to be. There are also a few other changes in the pcm but I'm not going to get into it.

^ see thats reasonable. If dealers do what they should be doing, than any 07 CX that goes in for service should have the new program written on it

Mazda stated that the 07 can not be reprogramed to run the lower octane fuel. Mazda says there is more than a reprogram difference. What that might be, I don't know but, it would seem locical that the intake valve timing may have been changed.

Back