626 will crank, but not start

jalbao

I have a 1999 626 (2.0L/4cyl Auto Trans)

The problem:
The car will crank, but not start after it has been driven for 10 or more minutes. When this problem occurs, I can get the car to startup if I let the car sit for 15 or more minutes. However, this symptom is intermittent

Interesting points:
  • When engine is cold, the car will start every time
  • Twice, in the past, when the symptom above occurred, the car started immediately after putting the gear shift into Neutral. However, I think the Neutral "trick" was simply a fluke since it only worked twice
  • The problem has been ongoing for over a year
  • The problem may not occur for over a month, then once the problem rears its head it will act up multiple times within a week. Then, go away for a month or so and the vicious cycle begins
  • Transmission was replaced in 2004 by a Mazda Dealership (ROMERO MAZDA in Ontario, Calif)
  • I've changed the O2 sensor, problem persists
  • I've changed plugs/wires, problem persists
  • Two different mechanics have been unable to diagnose the problem because they cannot reproduce the problem when I have them look at the car (typical, eh?)
  • Sometimes, when the problem occurs, it feels as though the car is out of gas - i.e. the car cranks and fires, but then will immediately go back to cranking
Not being savvy with cars, it's difficult for me to know exactly how to describe the car problem. I'm curious, would it be helpful to any of you in diagnosing this problem if I were to send you an .mp3 audio file of what the car sounds like when the problem occurs?

Hmmm. Is the ignition system distribute or coil pack? If its distributer, i would check the cap and rotor. I would also check the Nuetral Safety Switch. Either of those could have intermittent occurances. As so far as starting and quickly dieing, on older cars like my 1.6l, it usually has something to do with the intake system, as in a leak. If there is no leak, check your MAFM. Just a fewthings to check.

Back