Looking at buying a MSP and want advice? Post here!

Treat it like a cat, you pet it nicely it will purr you beat on it and it will scratch the f*ck out of you.

Nice ending line.

Alright, so I do not by any means intend to keep it stock. This would be my next project car. It probably won't be driven in the winter either. I'm also well aware that it's by no means a beast but it has alot more pep in it that my last cars and more potential because it's already turbo.

But small things like tunning chips and the usual I/H/E still apply right? Go for intake, then fix the restrictive exhaust system from the turbo back and slap on a boost controller. Or am I going to have to build the motor before running something like 10psi. I think stock is 6.

What about BOV's? I'm assuming this has a MAF sensor so if you don't recirculate your gonna run rich? I saw a few threads that they were running the stock DV and a BOV. Why?

Oh and edit: What do you guys think this car is worth?

BPV and BOV can be both run without relocation your MAF sensor onto the cold pipe. if you jsut get rid of the BPV and put a BOV than you would have harable idle and stall. if you run just a BOV you would need to relocate the MAF to the cold pipe.

and with intake, exhaust (turbo back), hardpipes/upgraded Intercooler i knew someone who ran 10 psi on that.

But i would highly suggest getting stronger motor mounts for one of the first things you would do.

Alright, so that clears up some stuff. But, one last thing. What is it worth?

95k km
A few rocks chips up front and the clear is pealing at a few places
cracked fog lamp
AC doesn't work
Unstock, presumably crappy deck
He wants 12,5k

I'm thinking offer 10 and work from there. What do you guys think?

The stock kenwood deck is prone to fail, so its no surprise he replaced it. Mine died after 2 years from purchase. All mazda paint sucks ass in my opinion and experience so the chips are also to be expected up front.

The a/c not working could be simple or major so factor that in to your offer.

It looks clean on the outside but it could have been detailed recently. Engine bay shot would reveal how the car was cared for also.

Have it looked at by a mechanic before your buy it if you are not mechanically inclined.

negociating 10 against 12.5 is gonna be a wide gap, but the value of these cars is essentially what you're willing to pay, or what its worth to get rid of one. the market is selective. I've negotiated 10K US for the one I'm (hopefully) picking up in a month or so... its got a few flaws, and a few mods... I think I've got a good, fair deal, assuming no mechanical issues are being hidden from me. lol

Alright thanks a lot guys. Pretty much answered all my questions. I was thinking offering 10 then having his counter offer be in the 11's. Max I'd pay is 12 but it's at 12,5 now so I think I might be able to get it a bit under 12.

The guy was in his late 20's and looked like he kept it in order and maintained it well. So I don't think I'll have too many surprises.

Oh and for the deck he said he got two new ones under warranty then just got an aftermarket one.

I just hope my car sells quick. I'm pretty sure I want to get this car. It's got all I'm looking for right now. I was also looking at the MKIV Jetta 1.8Ts, but I know of all the quirks with those and everyone I know has had trouble with them, plus they're common. I like the MSP 'cause it's pretty rare around here.

I think thaikim said it very well. Personally, for me it was a "hate" relationship. The car is such a great idea, but I had issues with just about every one of the Mazdaspeed additions. I think the car is found wanting in the reliability department. As someone coming from owning a Toyota (or in my case Honda/Acura), I think you may be in for some disappointment. It is definitely a fun car, but it feels delicate -- in contrast, my Integra felt bullet-proof and was extremely reliable. Just my 2 cents.

well a msp and ms3 are 2 very different cars.

but anyways that is more than i paid several years ago for a msp with far less miles.

if you could get it for 10 i think that would be fair. maaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyybee 11.

do your searching on the forum part of me thinks i would of never bought my MSP if i would of looked into the overall platform you get to start with. However the car handles great, however it is not that fast and making it fast is going to take time and some stacks. I guess I just wish it was easier to make fast then again my buddies drive STI's, S2000s, Supra's and a t3/t4 GTI so maybe i just think it is slow.

I love the look of the msp! I agree that the MSP and mazdaspeed 3 are 2 totally different cars. how much are you looking to spend? that MSP looks clean and has low miles. plus is like 10k cheaper than a speed 3. I like the look of the msp over the speed3. I would say offer 10500 and see what happens. i would pay 11k for it. it is clean. have you seen the engine bay? I'm always iffy about buying a used turbo car because you don't know how the previous owner was with it or what mods they did. good luck tho. I would go for it, with those miles its a great car.

I haven't looked at the car yet. The dealership is like 2 hrs away, lol.

I found it through cars.com, searched within 50 miles of 07036...where I live. I picked up an auto shopper today at Pathmark though, and not every dealership posts on the internet cuz I found another MSP closer to my town for 11,999 @ 61,000+ miles.

Its not on the site though, so I'm not sure if it's still in the inventory.

Another option is this:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...ional&paId=135653431&recnum=1&leadExists=true

I'm looking to finance at like 12K...if I have to....if I can't talk down to 10. And I really didn't want a MSP with over 30,000 miles on it, but they're been around for a while now, so what are you gonna do right?

Used MS3's are selling at the same price as new ones.

I'm so torn...part of me wants to go toe to toe with Evo's and what not, but right now I drive a '98 Protege ES and wanna stick with a Protege....but an MS3 would be easier to get up to the STI level.

PArt of me doesn't even think I'll mod a car...yeah, I sound like a noob, sorry, lol.

PArt of me doesn't even think I'll mod a car...yeah, I sound like a noob, sorry, lol.

Just make sure you dont do any modifications at all... not even one. I remember a year and a half ago I just wanted an exhaust and CAI and look at me now... i just drove 600miles and spent $1200 for like 20hp... it really is an addiction and it was worth every second / penny. but like stated before if i had done some research i would not have bought this car even though i do love it now.

yeah the modding bug is crazy. i didn't plan to touch my msp but ended up dropping $6k into it. You just start buying stuff.... if your plan is to go head to head with STI's and such... you can't do that in a msp without spending a lot of money. discreetspeed on here can take on sti's and stuff with his speed. ive seen him take one form a damn stop. but over all these years he's put in so many thousands of dollars and blown 3 motors getting to where he is.

I would be weary of the yellow speed. Its missing the rear lip (no biggy i guess... but it looks weird without it)... the steering wheel is WAY too worn for 45k miles. i mean those things do wear but not THAT much! and the 2 things to really watch out for.... the gear shift knob is form an 03 mazdaspeed... not the 03.5 (which is what the yellow msp is)... and i can't tell what exhaust that is but its not stock. both of these things are hints that the car has been modded. Buying a modded car can be risky. you never know what else the guy did to it or how he/she treated the car.

just my $.02

but i loved my msp sooooo much. seriously the msp and ms3 are 2 different categories. $10,000 difference.

Thanks for those two cents man....I wouldn't have even noticed.

Speaking of which, can someone show me the middle console of an MSP? Where the defroster knobs are and such, thanks.

Ok, so the 61,000 mile one selling at $12k has a dial missing...I borrowed this picture from an old thread on here:

gauges.jpg

THe middle dial with the numbers going around it is missing from that sale.

Should I even consider that one given the one's I've mentioned?

in the picture are you talking about the dial at the bottom? the fan control? cuz that would be weird. but if you talking about the a/f ratio and the ... "pyrometer" is at in the picture.... theres not supposed to be anything there. its a little pocket with a door on it.

c444487a.jpg

Bad picture to grab I guess, lol.

But stock, I guess it's the door like in the picture you provided.

The fan control is missing.

Back