Looking at buying a MSP and want advice? Post here!

I have a friend who just called me to inform me he was planning on picking up a msp and so me being a p5 owner I got all excited! Anything I should be informing my friend about the turbocharged version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has a lot to learn, that is for sure. Have him look around the forums. Problems to address would be cracked turbo manifold, check if the car still has an LSD, check the hot pipe for oil if the turbo is blown/check for turbo shaft play, check the motor mounts and shifter bushings, check for oil leaks. He will probably want to replace the sway bar bushings and possibly end links as well as the rest of the suspension bushings, if it is running stock boost or less than 12 psi or so on a stock motor (which is the 'safe' range if he has an upgraded IC, intake and exhaust) he will want a piggyback or fuel management to lean the mixture a bit as they run very rich on the stock ECU.

There are lots of things he will need to address if the car is stock, have him post pictures of the car here and we can help answer questions about the car.

Hello, I am looking at purchasing this mazdaspeed protege as a daily driver. I plan on keeping it stock except for a any potential reliability mods. I've been reading through this forum trying to figure out what potential issues to look out for, but I can't seem to find many recent threads. The things I've read say to look for exhaust/intake leaks and coolant leaks. Are there other major things to watch out for? How much do you think this car would be worth? I'm planning on offering them $3K. How is the reliability and fuel economy on a stock example?

Thanks,
Paul

Well you can't physically "look" at the LSD but check that out [emoji6]

All the msp out here are around 2500-3600

Yes if I'm correct they all should have lsd so if it doesn't someone has been breaking or fiddling with it.

Just in case you were unaware if you look a couple posts up you can see a wonderful list of things to check.

Hi, just found this spicey at the wreckers. Its a salvage title, has been rebuilt and hasn't had the inspection.

Hoping the hear from anyone that maybe has gone through a rebuilt title process. If this would be worth saving or parting out.

Thanks for looking!
7588de4dfa9ed0bbc4462e30ace1e6c5.jpg

Hi, just found this spicey at the wreckers. Its a salvage title, has been rebuilt and hasn't had the inspection.

Hoping the hear from anyone that maybe has gone through a rebuilt title process. If this would be worth saving or parting out.

Thanks for looking!
7588de4dfa9ed0bbc4462e30ace1e6c5.jpg

Damn nice find! I'd go and try to save it!

Damn nice find! I'd go and try to save it!
Yeah it looks to be in great shape, interior is nice, starts up & has the racing harts. My only problem with it is the price : $3000 cdn seems steep for a car I would be unable to register & insure. My titanium was only $500 and an active title.

So it still sits in a yard, waiting for me. I check on in occasionally. I was thinking of making another offer on it once it was covered in snow. Sad it sits unloved outside, there is zero rust on her.

The guy down the road from me who owns a spicy and doesn't drive it, ya his kids decided to throw rocks at it the other day and broke a couple windows and got some dings -.-

The guy down the road from me who owns a spicy and doesn't drive it, ya his kids decided to throw rocks at it the other day and broke a couple windows and got some dings -.-
So what you are saying is we are are assembling a linch mob in the name of Mazda justice ?

So what you are saying is we are are assembling a linch mob in the name of Mazda justice ?

Omg ..... that my friend is EXACTLY what we are doing ! Bahaha oh boy that gave me a great laugh! I swear I'm going to open a MSP sanctuary... lol like a retired race horse deal [emoji23] American version of JP lol with out the euthanizing lol

Your mission is to get that vin! So where are you from? Did I receive your vin yet? I'm actually sitting down in a few to go at these vins at 110% for a few hours... so many lol

Omg ..... that my friend is EXACTLY what we are doing ! Bahaha oh boy that gave me a great laugh! I swear I'm going to open a MSP sanctuary... lol like a retired race horse deal [emoji23] American version of JP lol with out the euthanizing lol

Your mission is to get that vin! So where are you from? Did I receive your vin yet? I'm actually sitting down in a few to go at these vins at 110% for a few hours... so many lol
Haha I laughed so hard I cried at the idea of a msp sanctuary, you sir are brilliant.

Haha I laughed so hard I cried at the idea of a msp sanctuary, you sir are brilliant.

Well I'm a chick, but I get the point [emoji23]. Who knows, these hints gravitate to me.... maybe mazda will help me fund a big MSP meet for some throwback publicity. They like that s***. Like how loyal everyone can be and the true love and passion for the name. Hummm let me work some magic..... muahahahaha *evil laugh* [emoji23]

Back