Looking at buying a MSP and want advice? Post here!

INGREXCO

:
2003 MSP
This Sticky has been created for anyone looking at purchasing a MSP! Have a particular MSP in mind and want to find out if it's mods are good and if it's in good shape? Post here for advice!

However, BEFORE YOU POST, make sure you check out these threads which have likely already answered a lot of the questions you have.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123677826
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50549

Also, try using the search function in this thread itself, to see if someone else has already provided the information you're looking for .. that way, we don't get repeated inquiries.

Thanks!
-- Rush

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everybody,

I haven't posted on here in a long time but as of today my girlfriend and I looked at a 03.7 Blue MSP. Here is the breakdown.

75k Miles
Was in an Acciddent but drives perfect (I did an hour long test drive)
Missing Kenwood Subwoofer deck.
Alpine headunit that is a basic cd player.
Minor knicks and scratches here and there as expected on a car of this age.
The trunk does not pop open from inside and doesn't like to close easily either?
Seats are cracked and town up.
Rims are curbed.

I was wondering what you guys would be willing to pay for a car since I haven't been looking to much at values (got my msp in 03 brand new, haven't cared to look at such things)

And also does anyone know what kind of money I would be looking at to replace the kenwood system and get the trunk fixed? THANK YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:
if the trunk doesnt close all of the way, could cause problems later. I wouldnt pay more than 7500 for it.

the trunk might be an easy fix unless the frame is bent as some others said

what kind of accident?

$6K.....Milage, wrecked, curbed wheels, bad interior,Trunk issue(likely from wreck).

Obviously not taken well care of.

$6K.

I'd say look for a better one...You don't want the bent frame issues, it's not worth it in a performance oriented car, but 6k sounds right

mine was MINT, used 40k kms, not a damn scratch or ding or nothing, stock, the sale tag was 17.5k CDN. course that was a month or so before the stronger dollar push we just got. they were also selling a pretty mint yellow one with 70k kms on it for 14.5k

and yea id say low ball them with like 6k, and dont go over 7k. if the engine/tranny etc is solid then you could get a decent steal

check craigslist and you'll see some cheap examples and some not so cheap. 8k-15k Insurance will rate them worth ~11-12k. So don't pay more than that. Plus with and accident and possible frame damage...I'd look into another MSP and pass on this one.

Pass on it, trunk not closing is really not a good sign...that car got a beating, that will cost you down the road

Ya i just bought a msp spicy with 50k miles, but it is practically new, the guy that i got the car from (private autosalesman, friend of family) and will be paying just under $12k, no scratches (unless you really inspect) and he was able to get the rear sway bushings replaced and a new head unit, which the dealer had at $1k just to replace that, along with about 5 other minor defects that are all being fixed under the old warinte before it switches over to me for another year or 10k miles... with the accident+the frame of the trunk makes it seem like after a while the whole thing might start to fall apart, if not than at the least it is not very safe, there are some better cars on the market, and msp's if that is what you want, a couple now on autotrader.com that i have looked at.. anyways thats the deal i got, good luck with your car findings.

Looking to buy a MSP

Alright, so it's my first post, and my first time looking at mazdas.

I currently own a 92 Celica GT-S. I've own my car for three years and have just about changed everything on it to maintain it in very good shape. I've been on Celica forums for a couple years also, I'm a moderator on toyotacelicas.com so I'm in no means new to online forums. I also have a Toyota Tacoma as a winter vehicle.

I have my car up for sale right now and am almost sure I'm buying a Spicy Orange MSP not far from here.

So, let's get to it. The car I'm interested in is an 03 (obviously). I went to see it yesterday (Sunday) and I'm pretty much hooked, but I have my doubts.

It has 95,000km on it, not bad for an 03. Has a rock chips on the front bumper and on the edge of the hood. The drivers side foglamp is cracked and it has some clear peeling on the rear bumper a bit. The turbo was rebuilt at the dealer at 60,000km. Interior is in good shape but the stock Kenwood deck is gone and now has an aftermarket Kenwood deck in place. He said the rear bushings squeaked but he's got new ones on order and they'd be replaced before he sold the car.

He's a young RCMP and looks like he takes care of his car. He's asking 12,500 for it but he said he'd budge a bit on the price. So I'm assuming he'd let it go for 12k easily. I'm thinking 11,500. What do you guys think?

Oh and here are a few pics of the car.
Speed004.jpg

Speed001.jpg

Speed003.jpg

Speed002.jpg

And a few of mine just for kicks (shady)
DSC_0735.jpg

DSC_0722.jpg

Thanks for any advice guys, and gals.
Zack

Just make sure you've done your homework... The MSP has its quirks and I would suggest researching those before making a serious offer on the car.

Alright, sounds fair. But could you elaborate a bit on that?

I like the car because it's rather rare, has great handling and decent power. Out of the box and on paper this seems like a great car but what quirks should I be worrying about?

Does it have random explosions or something?

Nice ending line.

Alright, so I do not by any means intend to keep it stock. This would be my next project car. It probably won't be driven in the winter either. I'm also well aware that it's by no means a beast but it has alot more pep in it that my last cars and more potential because it's already turbo.

But small things like tunning chips and the usual I/H/E still apply right? Go for intake, then fix the restrictive exhaust system from the turbo back and slap on a boost controller. Or am I going to have to build the motor before running something like 10psi. I think stock is 6.

What about BOV's? I'm assuming this has a MAF sensor so if you don't recirculate your gonna run rich? I saw a few threads that they were running the stock DV and a BOV. Why?

Oh and edit: What do you guys think this car is worth?

BPV and BOV can be both run without relocation your MAF sensor onto the cold pipe. if you jsut get rid of the BPV and put a BOV than you would have harable idle and stall. if you run just a BOV you would need to relocate the MAF to the cold pipe.

and with intake, exhaust (turbo back), hardpipes/upgraded Intercooler i knew someone who ran 10 psi on that.

But i would highly suggest getting stronger motor mounts for one of the first things you would do.

Alright, sounds fair. But could you elaborate a bit on that?

I like the car because it's rather rare, has great handling and decent power. Out of the box and on paper this seems like a great car but what quirks should I be worrying about?

Does it have random explosions or something?

Yes their have been incidents of the engine blowing up even at stock boost... so cranking the boost without proper supporting mods usually equals boom.

The MSP engine has weak rods, a crappy tranny and the stock tune could use a big improvement. Their are several incidents of the LSD shattering randomly even under light loads. The infamous clunk cause the bushings Mazda gave us are not so awesome. Oh, and the paint chips if you sneeze on it.

Basically Mazda threw on a turbo kit, a nice paint job and appearance upgrades and called it good... However since the protege was never really meant for power and their was little aftermarket support for the protege already, it has been kind of a tease with the whole Mazdaspeed label (however makes up for it in the Zoom-Zoom). Also in order to cut back on production costs and lower the price of the already inflated MSP they def. cut some corners.

Do not buy this car if you are looking for something that is fast as hell with little money or effort. For most the MSP is a love hate/relationship so it really depends what your plans are for the car. Although I will warn you if you plan on keeping it stock I would stay away from this forum cause it probably won't stay that way for long. :D

Now don't get me wrong I love my MSP and it has just as many positive atributes as negatives, ok well almost. But seriously just don't try and make it something its not or you may find yourself frustrated. Treat it like a cat, you pet it nicely it will purr you beat on it and it will scratch the f*ck out of you.

Back