AC Compressor Turns off/on Sporadically

No take it easy buddy it just so happens that I have been doing commercial and industrial HVACR for about 25 years and its all the same just different refrigerants and configurations. BTW have anyone noticed on these cars when you have selector switch in either defog/defrost or at your feet the AC compressor starts defrost i understand because that pretty much what a AC system is is a de-humidifier but why when its set to blow at your feet. Only reason I say this is to try and help gas consumption no need for hot dry air down their for you northerners.

I was serious..do you not remember our phone conversation..Where e were talking about what we do..and were both techs..but you have a LOT more years in this than I..

I was being dead serious in my statement.

Oh yeah...All ...of ..it.....even the last line..LOL!

AC has been working perfectly fine for the last two days now of course, tomorrow should be a good test though. The fan starts when the compressor clicks on every time and has every time I've checked under the hood from what I can remember.
Ok I found the freez stat in the manual, its mounted to the evaporator. Don't think I'll be taking my dash apart to get to it though. But since it's working fine today, I doubt it's the stat.

I wish I had a gauge to test the high side. When the car was off tonight and cold the low side was exactly 100psi if that helps in any way.

Well Forcefed yeah I remember just finally had something I could help someone with on here LOL

Ok, I am embarrassed to even post what was wrong. It was definitely the high pressure sensor that was turning the compressor off, but the reason why is the simplest dumbest thing you could think of.

I was low on coolant. Like really low. What tipped me off was the temp gauge sitting higher than normal on the way home a few days ago, but the temp read dead even any other time. So I drained it, and filled it back up with distilled water and water wetter, and voila, ice cold AC, even in the 98 degree drive home yesterday.

I guess with the radiator hotter than normal, the condenser wasn't getting the proper cooling and it spiked the pressure at the dryer causing my AC to shut itself off completely.

I definitely should be checking my coolant level more often, as the whole car is running better now.

I'm having almost the same problem except the compressor turns off and on every second or two. I shouldn't be low on coolant I'll double check tomorrow though. I don't have a pressure gauge so don't ask. Both fans cycle on and off with the compressor. It doesn't do it all the time but doesn't seem to do it at any particular time either, in other words, it's completely random as far as I can tell. Help is much appriciated I don't know AC systems very well and it is getting quite annoying, earlier today I was driving and my car started jerking I thought I was running out of gas lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you connect the can of refrigerant to the high pressure side the system has more pressure than the can thus causing the pressure in the can to go up... possibly enough to explode. If your retarded enought to put R-134a in an R-12 system that will do it too but if you have two brain cells to rub together charging an ac system is in no way dangerous.

Last edited:
You will never Explode a refigerant can by hooking it up to any system...What moron first suggested this idea..Because I would like to punch him in the mouth.

And R12..good luck even getting a can to be the idiot who puts it in the wrong system..that stuff is like liquid gold.
Even though its worthless now a days.

^There's our good ol' resident asshole lol.^

But yeah my trans am took r12... it was a third of the price to convert AND charge it with 134 vs charging it with r12

I'm having almost the same problem except the compressor turns off and on every second or two. I shouldn't be low on coolant I'll double check tomorrow though. I don't have a pressure gauge so don't ask. Both fans cycle on and off with the compressor. It doesn't do it all the time but doesn't seem to do it at any particular time either, in other words, it's completely random as far as I can tell. Help is much appriciated I don't know AC systems very well and it is getting quite annoying, earlier today I was driving and my car started jerking I thought I was running out of gas lol.

Bump for help.

My mazda CX7 would take 15-30 minuets before the AC would kick on. Replaced the AC compressor relay switch and all is working fine now. The part was only $23 at autozone.

Back