So Wheel Bearings?

:
2008 Mazda MX-5 5MT PRHT
So I took my car to my local mechanic (guess what, I know you're gonna b**** slap me next time you see me.) It was all due to that awful noise that Korey checked out for me a couple weeks ago. So I decided "I'm gonna take it in." There is a place here in G-Wood (that's Gainesville/Oakwood) called Carter's. These guys are the ones to go to. I rolled up at 7:35 this morning, told the guy what was going down, he said from what I told him it was a wheel bearing. Great! So I gave him the keys and said "Siyanora" (sp.) to the Spicy. He drove it and called me and said from what he heard, his assumtion was correct. It should be ready by noon at the latest tomorrow.

Here is where the bitchslap comes. I am sure this is something someone on here could have easily fixed for alot cheaper. Here is the million dollar question....

Who on here can check/change these while showing me how? How hard? How much for parts? If it's not too hard (like, less than a day or weekend job) let me know cause I would like to get them all done to be on the safe side of things.

Sometimes I ask, "God, why didn't you make me an automobile mechanic prodigy?" Then I remember... I am just too damn sexy and well, you can't have everything.

Which wheel's it on? If you bring it by one night this week, we can check them if he didn't tell you.

If it's one of the fronts, you'll need to take the knuckle off and get it pressed out, if it's the rear's they're a bolt in part from mazda w/ the new hub.

im doing my front tomarrow, will have to take it and get it pressed, the bearing its self is like $55 and the is $30 to press..ill take pics if you like and or webcam it.. let me know -j

Front
1. Remove hub [(2) 17mm strut mount bolts, (1) 32mm axle nut, (1) 12/14mm bottom bolt]
2. Remove the large snap ring
3. Press old bearing out
4. lube new bearing
5. Press new bearing in
6. reinstall.

Rear
1. remove 36mm bolt
2. unbolt hub
3. replace hub

I have a 20 ton shop press + wheel bearing press kit to press the bearings in/out.
The problem is that I don't have much time to do it except for fri/sat nights.

New front bearing $31.28 (onlinemazdaparts.com)
New rear bearing w/ hub $80 (Mazdaspeed motorsports)

Last edited:
Well damn. They said it was the driver side front. When I have more time (not about to leave for work) I'll add it all up and then see how much I am being screwed. I may purchase this stuff and have a wrenching meet somewhere (location TBA). Thanks for the input. I am sure I could've found this on Google or MSProtege.com but I like you guys.

EDIT: Oh and WRCProtege. Sure, take pics. Those always help. I'd like to see it before I actually do it.

I just had my passenger (front) side done...wish I could have done it myself also. I know the shop got me; $245 out the window!!

I guess if you include taking the hub off, that's not TOOOOO bad as far as shops go. But if you have a friend with a car, you can take it off yourself and have it pressed out and in for $30 or so at any decent shop.

Which wheel's it on? If you bring it by one night this week, we can check them if he didn't tell you.

If it's one of the fronts, you'll need to take the knuckle off and get it pressed out, if it's the rear's they're a bolt in part from mazda w/ the new hub.

If this offer is still good, I'd like to at least look at the other three to make sure things are on the ok. I'd hate to hear that sound again and feel like I am about to get shafted again! Let me know anDrew Carey.

If this offer is still good, I'd like to at least look at the other three to make sure things are on the ok. I'd hate to hear that sound again and feel like I am about to get shafted again! Let me know anDrew Carey.

Don't feel to bad if I want to turn/replace my rotors I have to press my bearings. All four of them.

Some time 4wd sucks. Not all the time ,but just some times. (wrc)

I suppose. I know this was my bearing thread but we should def. have a G-wood meet. I am seeing that there is actually a decent amount of people in this area. We could do just a Mazda meet or a full blown all-car meet. We could call it....

" The G-Wood All-Car Meet-N-Greet "
out slogan.... Car meet with the most and best hyphens.

Back