Belt Adjustments

Sc00by

Ive been having issues with my belts for some time now, now ive had them replaced maybe 5 months ago, but these days there's an insane squeal coming out of one of them. Ive checked the belt tension, the belt before the alternator's belt is fine (dont know the name of it, it seems like it's attached to the power steering or water pump i think, it's right next to the oil dipstick) But Alternator's belt (timing?) is a bit loose, problem is i dont know how to adjust this and dont have my manuals on me. It seems like there's a bolt and nut on the top of the alternator that seems like it can be the tensioner to move it left and right, but im kind of uneasy doing it without a 2nd opinion. Sorry if the post seems a little confusing (silly)

do adjust the alternator drive belt there will be a 14 mm nut on the bottom of it. you need to just loosen this, (it is easiest to reach from the bottom of the car) Then you loosen the 12 mm nut on top of the alternator which will be facing the passenger side, now that this bolt is loosened you will be able to adjust the 12 mm bolt which loosens and tightens the belt. Then tighten everything back up. If you have any questions post back.

thanks man now that the 14 mm nut at the bottom of the alternator that's facing the drivers side right?, im a compact dude and i think i can loosen it with a small rachet. (problem is not being able to see it lol, but i did fit it with a 14mm socket.) Is this also a two man job? One holding the alternator in place and the other tightnening the bolts and nut?

PS: do not have jack stands that's why i ask.

I have a 01 Protege DX and i'm have alot of squeals and i'm sure the drive belt is the culprit. Problem is, I can't loosen the p/s mount bolts for the life of me and i really want to save a few bucks. Any tips. I'm a bigger guy, and i put a lot of force behind it, no luck. any help, tips. I've asked at another forum, but no reply. I hope someone can help!

Back