Modding & Warranties: Advice for dealing with Mazda Dealers & Mazda NA

GhostMercury

:
MazdaSpeed 3 08.5
Well we have all heard about Mazda USA looking onto the forum and voiding warranties. Well not getting into the subject of what the forum has/can/will do, I want to talk about what you, yourself can do.

First off, if you are posting pictures of your car DO NOT leave the licsense plate on, or you should photoshop out the numbers. Not only is it bad for some people to have this info, it is what Mazda USA can use to figure out who you are.

Secondly, if you are still nervous don't post in your sig what mods you have on your car. A pretty much DUHH answer but some will still make the mistake IF and only IF Mazda USA is coming onto the forums.

To those worried about a warranty getting voided DO NOT go to the dealership with modifications installed. Even people with MS CAI are getting problems.

And to lessen the chance of your warranty getting voided. Kiss ass(kissass), and suck up. Going in there pist off DOES NOT help, believe me I made that mistake..

(Maybe Sticky Material Mods)

The MazdaUSA (five-0) are on patrol.
(upyours) Bacon Boys

Good info man. Its good to see that some of you actually think logically about this. We had the same issue when the Mazdaspeed Proteges came out. Just be smart, theres nothing stopping mazda from searching any site, regardless of what some say.

Just find a dealership that is cool with mods. I did and have no problems now

I don't think everyone has the luxury of several dealerships in their immediate area.

Nice write up Ghost with some excellent advice, especially for new people coming into the forums.

let the other mods know about this so people can see it before it is lost. I know the msp had this problem, but its seems to have escalated, and now warranties are getting even worse as far as the dealership doing warranty work for a car seeming to have a few problems that mazda usa needs to own up to

I agree. Unfortunately even if the problem is something that wasnt cause by any mod, Mazda (like any car company) will use info like this against you no matter what you think they have to prove.

All you really have to do is to erase your location and not worry about lol. Even if I was to say I'm from Bel Air, MD that still doesn't prove who I am and which speed 3 I drive. I think it's just a rumor that Mazda is on these forums voiding warranties because I could say I have a GT35R in my sig, lie about it and Mazda could not void my warranty due to me possibily making it up.

IT'S A HOAX! The only way Mazda can void your warranty is if the dealership states the mods that you have, then it's up to National Mazda if they want to void your powertrain warranty or not.

By the way, I have GT35R, Port and Polish head, HKS stage 2 cams, tuned to 30psi.

The fun of modding a car is being stolen by all of these companies now adays. If its not a mod you have to worry about the dealership catching, its the fact that soon black boxes will be produced into cars...

For now this is all we can do to protect ourselves guys

I don't think everyone has the luxury of several dealerships in their immediate area.

Nice write up Ghost with some excellent advice, especially for new people coming into the forums.

+1

I guess that was kinda of a dick thing for me to say

Shoot, the new skylines can tell where you are and ask if you want to go into "Race mode" which will void your warranty unless you service it immediatly after for a hefty fee.

I understand both sides of the argument though. Car companies will loose alot of money if they fix cars with mods, becuase they designed the car to one way.

But, if the turbo's are going back on the MS3's and 6's and Mazda is just looking for a scape goat, ie exhaust or intake, i think that is wrong.

There is no winning though. Live and learn and take your chances. Enjoy the car stock till the warranty expires then mod.

All you really have to do is to erase your location and not worry about lol. Even if I was to say I'm from Bel Air, MD that still doesn't prove who I am and which speed 3 I drive. I think it's just a rumor that Mazda is on these forums voiding warranties because I could say I have a GT35R in my sig, lie about it and Mazda could not void my warranty due to me possibily making it up.

IT'S A HOAX! The only way Mazda can void your warranty is if the dealership states the mods that you have, then it's up to National Mazda if they want to void your powertrain warranty or not.

By the way, I have GT35R, Port and Polish head, HKS stage 2 cams, tuned to 30psi.

However, for those that have light mods, we're able to remove those prior to going back into the dealership, meaning Mazda would never know what we had before...unless it's in our signature on a forum. I dunno, better to be safe then sorry I say.

How 'bout you just don't mod your car until your warranty is up? (dunno)

G'head... flame the dumb girl. :p

Hmm...you sound like my wife. "Why are you pulling the side moldings off your car, drilling holes in your airbox and taking pieces off of your car in general?...you've only had it for a week!"

If you mod your car, you run the risk of voiding your warranty. And if you get your warranty voided, you have no one to blame but yourself -- no one held a gun to your head and FORCED you to mod your car. Bottom line.

Great first post, though. Use your common sense, people! ;)

Well normally I would agree with that, but one of the cases of Mazda voiding a warranty actually involved another member on this forum who worked at the dealership and went to his superiors and aided in getting the claim dropped by Mazda. His screenname is Speedtec by the way and he resides in the NJ/NY area, basically you cannot trust anyone!

Hmm...you sound like my wife. "Why are you pulling the side moldings off your car, drilling holes in your airbox and taking pieces off of your car in general?...you've only had it for a week!"

I have extended warranty doh.... Im doing small mods so I can remove them in couple of hours,my 2nd service said
"If you are going that way just keep your stock parts, and put them back when you are coming to us"

Fine! (flame2)

I do agree with that post, but some people like myself are power hungry and modding is an addiction. At least modding won't kill me, but it will make financially unstable. :p

Back