mazda5 identy crisis: what does your title say?

I just got my title from the rmv (yay!) and I noticed that under "body type/style" it says util. Now the mazda5 is a lot of things, but I do not think of it as an SUV (I'm almost insulted.) What has your bureaucracy classed your mazda5 as?

EEze a waggon in duh u s of a. Hence why they dont come with darker windurs in da back. :) If it were classified as a van or a suv it could come pre-darkened. I hate laws.

In the state I live in it's classified as a wagon.

I don't argue because insurance on a wagon is cheaper than nearly anything else....

This topic of classification came up on page 3 of this thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123702269&page=3 - starting with post #38 from me/

I point out that the window sticker on my '08 purchased a few weeks ago, it was compared by the EPA to other minivans. Someone goes on to say that it's now categorized as a minivan for the first time in '08. (Whereupon I immediately asked why they couldn't tint the windows.) Maybe next year? Take a look at the other post.

Also haven't gotten the permanent NY registration to see what they call it yet.

EPA says midsize wagon on my window sticker that I just pulled out of a file.

What year?

Upper left-hand side of mine ('08) has EPA Fuel Estimates in a box - and under the words "Combined Fuel Economy This Vechicle" it reads 23 on a scale that includes 13 to 19 (which is kind of amusing) - but the word "MINIVAN" (in all caps) is written underneath the scale. I don't see anything else on the sticker indicating another designation.

(I'm be away from the PC over the weekend - catch your post sometime Monday.)

State Farm classifies it as a wagon. So does the state of Maryland.

I went through this issue with the Maryland MVA when they informed me that our 5 required standard passenger plates, instead of the "M" plates that adorn SUVs and minivans in Maryland. In fact, one time when I called, I was informed that an internal memo dated March 28, 2006, specifically stated the Mazda5 was a passenger car and hence required standard plates. They were pretty adamant about it.

I have no idea what Maryland is calling 5s now, but the majority of them around here do sport standard plates.

In Massachusetts, It's classified as a Station Wagon. Actually is a great classification for insurance purposes.

Would that be the "body type" specified in the title? the 2006 and 2008 indicate SW (I'm assuming it stands for station wagon)

And the window stickers (SPV stands for Standard Purpose Vehicle I believe):

2006 Mazda5
City 22MPG
Highway 27MPG
For comparison shopping, all vehicles classified as SPV 2WD

2008 Mazda5
City 22MPG
Highway 28MPG
Compared to: All minivans

I finally got the NY State registration - and was most amused: 4DSD = 4 Door Sedan !

I was expecting the same as my old Windstar, which was SUBN = Suburban - which is used for wagons, minivans etc. I tried to research it a bit - and found many used car dealers referring to Mz5's as 4DSD as well. Go figure.

Back