929 Advice? New Owner and Member Here.

Mike621

Hello all,

I was searching for a new member forum so that perhaps I could get some direction on where exactly to post this, but I was unable to find one. I am in the process of acquiring a 92/93 929. I have had a Miata before, but I know this 929 is VERY different (obviously) and am no stranger to working on my car. I have had many high mileage Subarus and my Mazda had 220k on it.

dscn1644hy6.jpg

This particular 929 has 159,000 on the odometer, needs tie rod ends and bushings in the trailing arms (i think they are trailing arms?).

The car is NOT shifting into overdrive. (Tach is at approx 3000rpm at 65 mph)

I have had this car on my lift and changed out the atf and cleaned the pan (some metal shavings were present).

I assume the car needs a transmission, so, is there an interchange or do I just need to look out for a 929 transmission only? I have heard that you can use a trans from an MPV but I am unable to confirm that.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I have a small shop in Southern NJ which I do my own work in, so I'm ready to replace this trans, as long as I can find one which works.

u have a rwd mazda!!!

hehe'

remove the anemic mazda engine and install a 2jztte with a manual transmission....

u have a rwd mazda!!!

hehe'

remove the anemic mazda engine and install a 2jztte with a manual transmission....

You'll have to excuse me, as I am Mazda-illiterate. What car is said motor from? A manual conversion would be great! What car could I get parts from to do the conversion? What trans would I use?

Thanks!

(attn) WOW, that's a clean 929! Most of the 929s I've seen are pretty run down.

Welcome aboard. :)

(attn) WOW, that's a clean 929! Most of the 929s I've seen are pretty run down.

Welcome aboard. :)

Thanks! I hope I can find the parts I need to totally fix this one up. The prev owner has the ABS unit unplugged because it drains the battery when the car is off (according to what he has said) and it needs an interior door panel, power antenna, window regulator, and a handful of other things.

You'll have to excuse me, as I am Mazda-illiterate. What car is said motor from? A manual conversion would be great! What car could I get parts from to do the conversion? What trans would I use?

Thanks!

He was reffering to a toyota IS300 power plant i believe, or is it a non turbo supra motor? Im not toyota savey, but Welcome to the boards. :)

Welcome (hi)

Really nice 929 you've got there...It's a big ass Mazda and I dig it!

Perfect candidate for VIP cruiser or luxo-tuner style...I see these beauties from time to time in Japan.

Keep us updated on your progress and don't forget to include (pics)

hey man, i am new to this site as well but i know a bit about the 9er, i own 2 one for parts and one as my driver, if you have any questions, i might be able to help you out a bit

Attachments

• 929front.jpg
    929front.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back