Contemplating a used 3. Need advice

M3Pilot

I'm selling my '96 BMW 328 daily driver and I need to replace it with an automatic so the wife can drive sometimes. (My recreational car is an M3, so I won't be too deprived.)

Drove a 3 hatch today and had great fun with it. Great balance, handling, grip, etc.

QUESTION: I'm unfamiliar with Mazdas. If I'm buying a used 3 hatch, maybe 40K on the clock, what kinds of things should I watch out for? Are there any typical problems I should have checked out?

Thanks in advance

Used 3's are hard to find (well the s version and up)!!! I would search around and get the options you want.

2004 - test the air conditioner... mine had a terrible air conditioner

Other than what options you are wanting, the rest is normal...

Check to see how much tread is left on the tires
Check to see if the brake pads are needing to be replaced soon
Do an Auto Check for history on the vehicle
Drive test to see if the car needs alignment and to test brakes,etc
etc, etc

If you an unfamiliar with the typical, you could always have a dealer or a mechanic do a 100 point inspection.

For the most part though, these are reliable and fun cars. Find the color and options you want and enjoy!!!!

I would be very judicious about buying a used 3, particularly depending upon who was selling it. Look for signs that the car had previously been modified: missing bolts, wire ties, cut harnesses, etc. These cars are very popular among modders, and are frequenty driven HARD even if they are not modified. Not all owners abuse their cars, but I would say the 3 is one of the more-abused cars out there.

Google the seller and see if they appear on any online autocross or drag racing results. You can also do an NCIC to see if they've ever been convicted of street racing, speeding, or other moving violations that might indicate the car was abused. Also, you might be able to dig up an insurance claims history to see if the car has been previously repaired, although usually the signs of bodywork are pretty obvious if you know what to look for (paint overspray is the #1 indicator). Not all insurance companies report accidents to carfax or other info bureaus.

Good luck

Back