(attn) 2009 Mazda5 available in late September

6_4with4

I don't know if that's news or not? Apparently the production line goes down in the next few weeks as they retool for the 2009 model. But since I'm ordering from the factory instead of ordering one of the last 2008s, I may just be patient for an additional 6 weeks and get the 2009. Why am I so patient? I'm out of USA til mid summer. From what I can tell it doesn't seem like there'll be any real changes to the Mz5...it'll just be a "newer" model year. I'm told from build to dealer that delivery is typically 15 to 20 weeks. Anybody else have related info?

Perhaps 2009 will be different, but Mazda typically gets it's new product line in December (other than top tier stuff like the new 6). I was in the same boat at the end of last year looking at an '0t in October, but didn't want to wait until January. We ended up buying an '07 on the lot.

Yeah that's what I'm concerned about. The guy promising me I'll get a car in September and it doesn't arrive til December. I noted that the 08 came out in December. But I haven't seen what the release was on the two previous years.
I may go ahead and order the '09 and if by midsummer when I return I don't have VIN for the new car being shipped to me, I'll cancel and buy a Mz5 off the lot like you did.

I ordered my 2007 from the factory end of May 2006, took delivery end of Sept. 2006.

I'll be shocked if the 2009 is any different from the 2008 besides color options.

Thanks Jandree22. So that's 1 success story for my scenario. Perhaps the '08s came out a little later b/c of the refresh? I'm leaning towards taking the risk on getting an '09 by late September...

So I saw on Edmunds.com the new Ford Escape Hybrid is getting a new 2.5l four cylinder engine for 2009. I am 99% sure the Ford Escape Hybrid uses a Mazda engine.

So does this mean Mazda will be coming out with a new 2.5l engine in 09 and will it make its way into the 09 Mazda5?

2009 Mazda5

I am thinking about purchasing a 5 but can't decide it I want to buy an '08 or wait for an '09. From all the reviews everyone loves the car but almost all of them say it is under powered (AT version).

I am hoping the '09 will add some more torque and horses to make my decision easier.

thoughts on the power of the '08 current owners? Most of the time the car will be driven with four adults and small load.

Thanks.

I'm betting on the 2.5 being there also. It is slated for the Escape, new 6 and the restyled 3... Why would they not put it in the 5?

Well, keep under consideration the fact that the 2.3L is already the largest engine used worldwide for the 5/Premacy, and we got it. Then again, if the 2.5L is a Mazda-wide replacement of the 2.3L, then obviously it'll happen.

Do I think the 2.5L is needed? Absolutely not. The 2.3L seems perfectly balanced to me... but, that's just me. On the other hand, it wouldn't be a bad idea for Mazda to finally shut up the naysayers that find no other fault with the car, so they call it underpowered. (jerkit)

I am thinking about purchasing a 5 but can't decide it I want to buy an '08 or wait for an '09. From all the reviews everyone loves the car but almost all of them say it is under powered (AT version).

I am hoping the '09 will add some more torque and horses to make my decision easier.

thoughts on the power of the '08 current owners? Most of the time the car will be driven with four adults and small load.

Thanks.
The 2008 Mazda5 just got the 5-Speed Automatic, much better than the 4-Speed Auto in the 2007. I haven't heard of any performance changes for the 2009. Have you driven one?

Thanks.

Every review of the 5 always calls it under powered. I really think that car reviewers are spoiled in this world where they get to drive car after care with ever-increasing horsepower. Next to a V6 Rav 4, the 5 will seem slow, but to the normal driver, it's a fine car. It's not going to out-drag most v6s now-a-days, but then again a lot of us are coming from older, slower cars anyway. .

Where the 5 excels is in the width of the powerband. Our '07 Spot has the 4AT and it's just fine for power, you just have to wind it out if you really want to go! And you know what, the Mazda 2.3 sounds really sweet all the way up to redline, unlike a lot of moder 4-cyl engines.

The only time I have wished for more power was pulling out from a blind corner onto a 45MPH street right in front of a cad I didn't see. There were 4 adults and 2 kids int eh 5 and it took effort to get up to speed. I attribute that mainly to the bad luck of a blind corner than anything else. During that same stretch, it easily gathered speed on an uphill freeway onramp. On top of that, what was the lat vehicle you drove that could take those super-banked cloverleaf on-ramps with 6 on board at any sort of decent speed? (caution to others: kids love this, adults are glad for the seat bolsters and the "handles")

With 700 miles on my 2 1/2 week old '08 Mz5, I'm generally happy with the engine and find it very peppy if it's just me or me and the two kids. Loaded with 4 men in a carpool and going up a long, steep hill is when I notice the lack of power. That said, if it means lower gas mileage, I'll take the "underpowered" as the price of gas continues to creep ever upward. This car is getting more than 50% better gas mileage than the '99 Windstar I traded in - making half a monthly car payment in the reduction in the monthly gas cost.

It's not slow. But maybe it is for the average, overweight american and their overweight family.

For my family of normal-sized people (well, actually we're all taller than average but still...) the 5 is perfectly adequate in the power department. I'm not making these claims as a typical slow-car buyer either. I've owned a handful of fast/quick cars, including a BMW M3, Integra GSR, WRX STi, modified Forester Turbo, and others. No, the Mazda5 isn't as fast as any of them, but it doesn't feel like a giant turd even after driving fast cars for years. My daily driver has 100lb-ft more torque than the Mazda, and it weighs less too, but I don't jump out of my car and into the Mazda5 and feel like I'm not moving because the torque curve is great in the little 2.3.

I'm betting on the 2.5 being there also. It is slated for the Escape, new 6 and the restyled 3... Why would they not put it in the 5?

This may be something they bring in 2010 - Mazda normally holds improvements to the 5 back one year from putting them in the 3. If so, that might be enough for me to convince the wife to get a new 5.

This is all good stuff. The guy I'm working with on the purchase says he will talk to a contact at Mazda in Japan. If there's an indication that it will have more power I'll probably hold out for the '09. Here in the French Alps, I test drove a Mz5 2.0L diesel manual going up a mountain with three adults...It had plenty of pep; it did a lot better than my current car a '96 Renault Laguna 2.0L gas. So that's heartening! We previously drove a 2006 Honda Civic and a '93 Volvo 850--so I've never really driven a car with power. I'd like to have more torque than any of the cars I mentioned...they've all seemed underpowered to me.
I'll let you know if I find out anything about the 2009.

Yeah, might be a new engine but a 2.3L is already decent enough IMO. Of course I drive Manual Tranny, but I have rented:
a) USDM 2007 Mazda5 AT
b) USDM 2008 Mazda3i AT (2.0L)

There is a small "kick" difference but not that radical, so I'm not sure what an extra 0.2L might do for you. I would really hold if there was a V6 coming for example.

As per appearance, I doubt the size of Mazda (as a company) allows them to make facelifts every year.

Note, agree with perfecto:
The 2009 Mazda Tribute and Mazda6 specs indicate 2.5L so there might be slightly a better chance, but just keep on mind that the Mazda5 is at the end of the food chain for this market. CX-7, CX-9, Mazda3 and the Mazda6 are the NA cash cows....

This is all good stuff. The guy I'm working with on the purchase says he will talk to a contact at Mazda in Japan. If there's an indication that it will have more power I'll probably hold out for the '09. Here in the French Alps, I test drove a Mz5 2.0L diesel manual going up a mountain with three adults...It had plenty of pep; it did a lot better than my current car a '96 Renault Laguna 2.0L gas. So that's heartening! We previously drove a 2006 Honda Civic and a '93 Volvo 850--so I've never really driven a car with power. I'd like to have more torque than any of the cars I mentioned...they've all seemed underpowered to me.
I'll let you know if I find out anything about the 2009.

Didn't realize you were European, I believe they have difference changes for the Mazda 5. I would Imagine the 2.0 Diesel/6MT combo would be popular over there. Did you drive the 110ps or 143ps diesel? I would love the 143ps diesel, as it is supposed to have loads of torque and decent mileage (38+MPG US combined). Here in the US we have the choice of 2.3L gas (petrol) or... um... That's it!

I have driven a mazda 3 with the 2.0L gas engine, but I imagine it would struggle in the 5. Not sure of gas prices there, but I imagine a 2.5L gas engine would be out of the question. Just for a laugh on your part, my last car was a 94 Mercury Sable with a 3.8L V6. The MZ5 143ps diesel has more torque than that car did though...

I would Imagine the 2.0 Diesel/6MT combo would be popular over there. Did you drive the 110ps or 143ps diesel? I would love the 143ps diesel, as it is supposed to have loads of torque and decent mileage (38+MPG US combined). Here in the US we have the choice of 2.3L gas (petrol) or... um... That's it!

Yeah, it was the 143. Went straight up the side of a mountain with plenty of power. With the current exchange rate it costs about $13k USD more!

Yeah, it was the 143. Went straight up the side of a mountain with plenty of power. With the current exchange rate it costs about $13k USD more!

Yikes!! I imagine even the 110ps diesel should be pretty nice. Even the 2.0L gas would work, just won't be as torquey as the diesels. It's tough to say how they would stack up to the US-spec 2.3L, but I think you will not be too disappointed.

Back