(attn) 2009 Mazda5 available in late September

So that's 1 success story for my scenario. Perhaps the '08s came out a little later b/c of the refresh? I'm leaning towards taking the risk on getting an '09 by late September...

I too think you will be fine for the changeover in September.

If you have a good sales advisor, what you want to ask is to have them contact you as soon as they receive the "SPEC DECKS". Use that term. That's the info from Mazda on the next model year.

Since the 2008 order was already in motion I'm being encouraged to stick with it by the company selling to me. But I've also been reading about the dramatic depreciation on the Mz5 particularly after the first year (almost 5K the first yr., about 2k every year after that). Since the car is so popular with owners, I have to imagine the depreciation has to do with the Mz5's invisibility in the overall market (until this year perhaps).

While I'd like to think we'd keep the vehicle for 7 to 10 years; more likely we want to stay in a position where we sell in 4 to 5 years.

My initial thinking with the timing was that we would get the car in July and the 2009 would not be out till December (so consideration of depreciation was less immediate in my mind). Since then I've on the one hand learned about the depreciation and on the other hand seen how popular the 2006s and 2007s are with their owners.

Final factor--with the economy continuing to slow, perhaps I'm making a mistake buying this early before I return to the USA with my family in late July. It may be better to see how desperate the dealers are to unload cars?
Or perhaps they will simply reduce their inventory?

So now I debating which to buy:

2009, 2008, or used 2006-7?

With the used model--what's your advice for best chance of finding a private party sale? Ebay?

My experience with trying to buy used at a dealership is that either you're getting a rental fleet car (bleck!) or losing any financial advantage by buying certified.

OK that's like 3-4 threads right there but you have been so encouraging with your responses, So thanks for any feedback!

I'll play devil's advocate:

Unless you really want a very specific color and features I would wait until you are here. My reasons:
  • There will be more information (or at least there should be something beyond speculation) for the 2009 model
  • There will be more information about how much a 2008 will cost and the market will be more bland for them anyway, so good deals will be around the corner
  • If the 2 bulletpoints above don't cut the deal, then 2007-2006 models will be around, and places likes cars.com and autotrader.com will have a decent amount of deals with decent mileage for you to close it quickly. Regardless of being a Mazda5, we are talking more offer than demand these days IMO.

The 2008 Mazda5 just got the 5-Speed Automatic, much better than the 4-Speed Auto in the 2007. I haven't heard of any performance changes for the 2009. Have you driven one?
I don't understand the reviews claiming the Mazda5 doesn't have power. Our 07 touring is plenty quick, quicker than our V6 Grand Cherokee, but i'm not running from the cops either.

Back