Miata crankshaft position sensor

camerazn

:
Hello Kitty MSP #660
A buddy of mine has an old (91 or 92) Miata, with what he thinks is a bad crankshaft position sensor. I'm thinking of buying it from him (i.e. removing it from his lawn) for a friend of mine. Anyone interested in helping me take a look and see if its fixable, probably around the 19th or 20th?

Last edited:
If it's a 90 or early 91, it may be a bad crank nose throwing off the timing. Look for rust around the crank pully bolt or if it'll run, watch for a wobble. The cam angle sensors don't go bad too often.

26th is the Novice school, 27th is points 4 :(.

What are the symptoms he's seeing?

What are the symptoms he's seeing?

Edited the OP - I was a week off.

I don't know yet. I'm gonna have a look at the car on the 18th or 19th.

Failure to start or run seems to be a symptom, seeing as how I'll have to tow it away.

lol yeah I'd say that's a good symptom. See if he can get you the VIN of the car so you can check it against THIS for the crank issue kevin was talking about. If not, it could be a bad CAM Position sensor or Ignitor. Then again, it could be a lot of things LOL

lol yeah I'd say that's a good symptom. See if he can get you the VIN of the car so you can check it against THIS for the crank issue kevin was talking about. If not, it could be a bad CAM Position sensor or Ignitor. Then again, it could be a lot of things LOL

Sounds alot like MY problem right now...

Back