NEED to find my problem Any ideas????

alexB

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Ok so I have been having this problem for awhile now. It seemed to have gotten better over the winter. But now that its getting nicer its back. My car seems to almost studder/hesitate and my exhaust note almost sounds like its misfiring very mildly. Almost more of a gurggling tone. Always at lower RPMs right before I go into boost. Around 10 vac. I am thinking its my mafs. I do have it relocated. And I do have a k&n filter. I know they have oil in them and it may have been coated. I havent herad of any1 having mafs problems do to relocating but maybe I missed it. No cel right now. Please if you have any ideas post them. I am getting a little frustrated.

I have had a similar issue in the past. It was fixed by a new egr valve. It was getting stuck open due to excessive carbon build up. I have pulled that off. it was pretty clean. I cleaned anyways. I sprayed the mafs out with cleaner. my plugs are brand new. My primary O2 has gotten alittle melted by my hot pipe. doesnt seem to be through the wiring at all. I will be replacing it regardless.

Iam leaning towards the mass air flow. I am going to check my waste gate actuator by blowing into the vac line.

Car has about 77k on it. I love this car. Its payed off. Always thought I would have it. planned on doing a full build in the very near future. But this is really testing my desire to always have it.

I have had a similar issue in the past. It was fixed by a new egr valve. It was getting stuck open due to excessive carbon build up. I have pulled that off. it was pretty clean. I cleaned anyways. I sprayed the mafs out with cleaner. my plugs are brand new. My primary O2 has gotten alittle melted by my hot pipe. doesnt seem to be through the wiring at all. I will be replacing it regardless.

Iam leaning towards the mass air flow. I am going to check my waste gate actuator by blowing into the vac line.

wow your hot pipe shouldnt be melting the o2 sensor...I mean my wires are hugging mine with that little protective wrap stuff and there is no sign of wear at all...and you would be surprised at how little you have to do to an o2 sensor to f- it up...but since you have an exhaust gargle I dunno what to say...If you havent already replaced the WGA that could be it...you might be over-boosting without knowing it

wow your hot pipe shouldnt be melting the o2 sensor...I mean my wires are hugging mine with that little protective wrap stuff and there is no sign of wear at all...and you would be surprised at how little you have to do to an o2 sensor to f- it up...but since you have an exhaust gargle I dunno what to say...If you havent already replaced the WGA that could be it...you might be over-boosting without knowing it

well I have an aftermarket fmic. The stock heat wrap wouldnt fit around it. So it gets hot. didnt even notice how close the O2 sensor actually was till it was already melted just a bit. But was wrapped pretty well. I have a boost gauge. Boost has been the same as always.

The reason I am thinking mafs is my buddy has a mk3 supra and his car does a very similar thing and he said it was his air meter. Also the warmer weather really seems to be making it act up more.

The reason I am thinking mafs is my buddy has a mk3 supra and his car does a very similar thing and he said it was his air meter. Also the warmer weather really seems to be making it act up more.

MAF clean that b**** (I think you said you did already though) and if the problem persists maybe a local MSPer can let you try theirs...If there is a change in performance during the switch you will know it is the MAF.

I have my MAF relocated too, it gets really dirty now, but after a clean it always runs pretty good...I have my unichip tuned with the relocation but I am probably putting it back on the intake when I get my FMIC from Turbolife...I hope that doesnt cause any issues.

I have a K&N filter on my intake. I have cleaned it and re oiled it before. I put as little oil as I could on it. But I was told that K&N filters have oil on them no matter what. And my mafs probably got coated. Also Ive been told that sometimes you can clean them after that but sometimes that wont fix it. I know the mass air flow sensors arent cheap but honestly at this point I just want this problem gone.

I am going to buy an oem primary O2 sensor. Even if it isnt affecting it I want to replace it. Im going to get a heat wrap from it. I guess Ill see if thats the problem. I guess it wouldnt hurt to get the atp replacement wastgate either. Ive heard it hepls with the hesitation anyways. So after all that if I have issues stil it could only be the mafs.

i have the same problem....my actually like backfires during boost though too. still trying to figure it out

I have a K&N filter on my intake. I have cleaned it and re oiled it before. I put as little oil as I could on it. But I was told that K&N filters have oil on them no matter what. And my mafs probably got coated. Also Ive been told that sometimes you can clean them after that but sometimes that wont fix it. I know the mass air flow sensors arent cheap but honestly at this point I just want this problem gone.

MAFs are definately not cheap...You know they have AEM dry-flow filters that you dont need to oil anymore. You could try to get one of those. Honestly though I dont think oil is your problem...You're relocated so think about how far that oil has to go to get to the MAF...basically through the intake, turbo, hot pipe, cold pipe...and by that point it has probably vaporized by the heat of the turbo...I think you have an o2 sensor issue or maybe the exhaust manifold is cracked.

s*** i was getting backfires like crazy under boost. turns out that i had the wrong gap on my plugs. check your spark plug gap, make sure its right.

Back