Homelink installation wire tap

So I am trying to install the homelink mirror. I have found and tapped the blue wire with a red stripe. I am having problems withthe green wire with a black stripe. The only green wire w/ a black stripe I see in the location specified in the instructions is much thicker than the blue wire with a red stripe. So big that the supplied wire tap won't fit. I can buy a bigger wire tap....but I have a feeling I am trying to tap the wrong wire.

The wire I think it is, is the green wire highest in the photo.
IMAGE_770.jpg

The green wire and black stripe is visible in the photo below...quite thick. Anyone else tap this for the mirror?

IMAGE_771.jpg

I was in the same situation yesterday. Look closer, there is a green with black with silver dots. I tapped this one and tested with a tester and it works. It appears to be right gauge as well.

Also wanted to add that used the following kit with these part #s.
Mirror 0000-8C-Z02
Inst. Kit 0000-8C-L12

(Thanks Joe @ Mazda Toronto)

I installed into a Canadian 2006 Mazda GT.

Instructions say 2008 > Mazda5 however I can attest that it does indeed work. These instructions are much better that the one listed for just a 2006.

Of note, you can skip some of the steps such as removing the battery hold down bolts to acces the battery. You can just pop the lid off.

Removal of the Factory mirror was much more simplier than what they showed without the need to fabricate the special tool. Used a coat hanger that I bent a 90 degree angle to it. For my application, there was just a small tab that I was able to press up and wiggle the mirror which came out.

You can also get around removing the rain sensor from windsheild itself. The provided cover snaps on just fine.

You do not need to remove the passenger side under dash cover

What is not mentioned in the intructions about the A pillar clip was that once you remove the cover, the clip can be removed from the A pillar by rotating it 45 degrees.

Anyone else have any other questions about this install, fire away. I'm fairly comfortable trying to answer since I've been through an install.

The little green wire with the black stripe AND the silver dots...silver dots would been nice to include in the instructions. All powered on now. Homelink buttons light up when pressed...but still not talking to my garage door opener. My previous Acura has homelink and talked to it right away.....I will battle that one tomorrow. Thanks for the help. What do normal people do who have problems and don't visit forums do??? I guess pay the dealer. Boo!

Well they may pay the dealer but still unless you've done this before, you never know.

What make is your garage door opener? If it is newer, you may have the rolling code which means the 2 step process. Not only does the Homelink have to learn your remote but you also have to make your opener authenticate it by pressing the learn button.

looking for the 12v constant wire

I have a similar problem with a twist and since this thread is relatively new, I'm hoping some Mazda 5 owners out there could help me out.

I just bought a new 08 Mazda 5 GT (Canadian version) and the dealer installed the auto dimming mirror with HomeLink and compass on it. The auto dimming and compass are working just fine but the HomeLink function is not. When I press any of the HomeLink buttons on the mirror the red LED does not light up at all. So I traced the problem back to the power source for the HomeLink feature.

The black/white-stripped wire from the mirror is tapped onto the green/black-stripped wire found underneath the driver's side kick panel - I tested this switched power supply with meter and it is the 12v IGN, which is correct, and that's why the auto dimming and compass are working.

Then I tested the other wire, the solid black wire from the mirror. It is tapped onto the blue/orange-stripped wire (instead of blue/red-stripped wire that is indicated in the instruction manual) underneath the driver's side kick panel. However, this supposedly 12v constant power supply has only 5v and I re-checked many times and I could not find another wire in the bundle that looked close to a blue/red-stripped wire.

So I did a test to make sure the HomeLink feature on the mirror is not broken: I connected the HomeLink power supply wire from the mirror to the 12v switched IGN wire (green/black-stripped) and turned on the ignition key - the HomeLink red LED did light up when I pressed the buttons - that eliminated the possibility of a broken mirror.

Now my question is, does anybody know which wire is truly the B+ 12v constant? Since I do not have a clamp-type multimeter, I really don't know for sure which one it is. I did extensive searching on the Internet but couldn't find the answer. If the blue/orange-stripped wire is indeed the correct wire for the B+ 12v constant then that means there is something wrong with my car? I am really stumped ...

I'm new to this forum and the Mazda family ... and this is my first problem encountered (bang) .... I hope I won't have to open up each wire to test one by one with a probe-type multimeter (braindead

(p.s. in case you wonder, I have a reason not to bring it back to the dealer at this stage)

Hmmm I used the blue wire with a red stripe without a problem. The wire in my 5 was toward the back of the loom of wires coming from the back of the car. I originally looked at the wires going into a plug panel just under the dash. I had to pull the kick panel to find the actual wire.

If the dealership did the install, take it back to them and have them fix their screw up.

Blue with red stripe wire is there at the bottom of the bundle as mentioned by stillageek. Finding the right wires was the hardest part of the install.

I noticed your profile says Richmond Hill. Is this Ontario Canada? What dealership were you dealing with? I'm in Scarborough and may be able to help you.

I trust dealers no more than the politicians

Thanks for your offer SonicBoy and yes, it is Richmond Hill, Ontario. I bought the 5 from Toronto Mazda, where they installed the mirror on the new car. As I work in Mississauga, dropping off/picking up the car at the dealer is not as convenient as one would hope. I'm sure most of us here probably prefer getting our hands dirty or getting to know our car more than to bringing the car in to the dearlership for eveything big and small. Yes, it is the dealer who didn't do the job right and if I can't fix it myself before the first oil change I will certainly ask them to fix it for me. The first oil change is on the dealer and that's the only reason I'm bringing it back. In the meantime I need to put everything back together before driving the 5 with my wife, the baby and my parents to a wedding this weekend. It will a good use of the car and no, it is not my commute car - the GTI is (drive). Excuse me for side-tracking a little: I had 2 prior electrical issues on that car and I fixed both by myself with the help of the members from vwvortex. The car was left at the dealer (Richmond Hill VW) for a full day and they "couldn't" figure out the cause and blamed it on my aftermarket headlamps (typical dealer reaction). I got a circuit diagram from a guy at vwvortex and turned out it was really easily to pin-point the root cause. The other time the techician there gave me BS about why the airbag warning light was triggered and said they "couldn't" reset it and I had to leave the car there for another full day so that they could troubleshoot it. I brought the car to my friend who is a mechanic, he explained everything to me and reset the warning light in one minute. It's been 2 years and no issues since then.

Now you know why I have doubts about dealers and their technicians. After owning the car and reading from vwvortex for a few years, I just don't see why I need to bring the car to the dealer anymore. I guess this also confirms the latest release of consumer report on the customer satisfaction index on dealers and independent shops.

I'd like to confirm a few things though. I'm looking at the bundle of wires underneath the driver's side kick panel, part of the bundle is wrapped under electric tape. The 12v IGN is the green/black-striped (with silver dots) and the 12v constant is the blue/red-striped (with silver dots) and they should appear to be of the same gauge / thickness - correct?

I'll check the wire bundle again and perhaps post a picture of the wires to make sure I'm not color-blind ...(boom07)

HMM.

The blue/red striped wire did not have sliver dots on mine. Mine was just blue with red stripe.

The instructions that I got said Passenger side kick panel. Are you sure you are on the right side of the vehicle to start with? You mention Driver's side.

I know the dealership did do the install but could that be the problem?

Wrong side?

I don't have the installation instruction ... the dealer left me only the mirror operation instruction. However, I found the mirror installation instruction for CX-9 on the web and that's why I looked underneath the driver's side kick panel as I thought it would be similar for the 5 - yes, that's where the dealer has routed the wiring to and NOT the passenger side kick panel!

If the instruction says passenger's side then obviously the dealer was not following it!!!!

Would you mind sending me the instruction or fax it to me? I'd really appreciate it. You can PM me at your convenience.

First off, the dealership is supposed to leave the installation instructions with the usage instructions. It's an item on the checklist if they follow the things.

The instructions I have are listed for 2008 > Mazda 5 and does say passenger side.

What piece of crap dealership did the install? (screwy) Looks like we found out why you're having so much grief.

PM me with a fax # and I will try to send. I can try to scan the instructions however they will be fairly large.

I own a 2006 Mazda5 GS and I recently asked the dealership (Toronto Mazda) if I could install the 0000-8C-Z02 mirror in my car. The answer was no. Clearly, you are saying that it can be done. How involved is the install? Are there any instructions available?

Hindsight being 20/20 it was easy. Total time if I knew what I was doing with the wiring would have been 30 minutes. Works perfect.

Do it yourself if you can and think twice before leaving your car with Toronto Mazda. Apparently SonicBoy got someone helpful there but my personal experience with them was very disappointing to say the least. If you read my post above you'd see that they have managed to screw up such a simple installation on my new car, which I bought from them a month ago.

Not only did they routed the wiring to the wrong side of the car and tapped onto the wrong wire, when I opened up the kick panel and looked at the bundle of wires underneath, I could see that they had previously tapped onto another wire (also wrong one)! Whoever did the installation didn't even bother to tape up the wire and I could see the cut marks and bare cable! (rant)

I nailed them badly when I filled out my customer satisfaction survey with Mazda Canada.

HomeLink Mirror Problem

Looks like my dealer did exactly the same thing... tied the wires into the driver's side using a Blue w/red stripe and silver dots and a Green w/black stripe and silver dots. Same problem, all working except the HomeLink. Not sure if I should fix it before or after I tell them about it. Don't think I'll give them the chance to mess it up again.

Back