Instrument Cluster Missing Lights

So Last night I took out my instrument cluster to replace a burnt out bulb. While looking at the back of it, I noticed there were 3 holes that did not have bulbs in them. One of the holes did not have any contacts so i'm not worried about it, the other two did. I consulted the repair manual and it didn't call them out specifically, or I just wasn't able to find it.

Anyway the numbers printed on the back of the board where the were missing were: WL 6 and WL 13. One was at the top of the board and the other was at the bottom.

I was hoping someone might know what these are.

In addition, does anyone know the size of the third type if bulb back there. I know the largest is the 194 the next largest is the 74 but I don't know what the smallest is.

Thanks,

-peel

Last edited by a moderator:
One of them is a light for the washer fluid level light. I forgot what the other one was for, but if you hold the cluster up to the light you should be able to see the picture. It might just be a blank space. It's been a while since I looked at the cluster.

I was kind of able to see the washer fluid one, but, since it's been raining in St. Louis for just about ever, I wasn't really able to hold it up to the light. Of course I was changing the bulbs about 10 minutes before we were supposed to go out, so I didn't have time to take it inside and hold it up to lights if I wanted to avoid the wrath of my wife.

So I'm guessing then that P5s don't have the washer fluid indicator?

As for the other one, could it be an ABS light. I don't think my P5 has ABS, is it standard on most of them? Was it even an option?

Thanks for your reply,

-peel

ABS was an option in 2002 and standard in 03 if I remember right, and I could be wrong but I think Canadian P5s have a working fluid level indicator.

I'm gonna pull my cluster tonight to see what the bulbs might be for.

I know my car's an '03 but I've never seen an ABS light nor have I felt anything that feels like ABS kicking in. As I said, it's been raining so much here, my neighbor has started building an ark.

What's an easy way to check to see if my car has ABS?

Thanks,

-peel

abs was option in all p5s im a 03.5 and no abs and for thepeel " What's an easy way to check to see if my car has ABS?" just when ur goin around 40mph slam on the brakes if ur peddal vibrates very fast and ur wheels dont lock up . u got abs, and if all 4 of your wheels lock u dont :p. and for the washer fluid light wtf its a dud i think we have no sensor from what i remmber stupid pos lol

Easiest way to tell if you have ABS is when you turn on the car an "ABS" light will light up in the lower left corner of the cluster just below where the "Check Engine" light is, LOL. The light should turn on and then go off in about three seconds after startup.

EDIT: I'm curious now if the "Low Washer Fluid" light works or not. Not that I need another light to light up but it'd be kind of nice to have a light come on when that is low. I hate pulling back on the stalk only to have nothing spray out.

Easiest way to tell if you have ABS is when you turn on the car an "ABS" light will light up in the lower left corner of the cluster just below where the "Check Engine" light is, LOL. The light should turn on and then go off in about three seconds after startup.

well if he has no bulb thats useless. my idea is the best way lol. even better in rain. its more like a game of " i hope this turns out good *as i close my eyes and slam on my brake*" . thats the fun way lol

well if he has no bulb thats useless. my idea is the best way lol. even better in rain. its more like a game of " i hope this turns out good *as i close my eyes and slam on my brake*" . thats the fun way lol
That's true, I just naturally assumed that if no bulb was there then he wouldn't have ABS. I can't imagine someone deliberately removed that light. Oh yeah, another way to tell is if you have side airbags. It was part of a safety package that included ABS and side airbags (I have this). I know if you have side airbags you will have ABS but I don't know if you can have ABS and not side airbags. But yeah, if you're feeling adventurous go ahead and go out into an empty parking lot and slam on the brakes. This of course won't help if you have ABS and it has failed but the previous owner removed the light so they didn't have to look at it, LOL.

That's true, I just naturally assumed that if no bulb was there then he wouldn't have ABS. I can't imagine someone deliberately removed that light. Oh yeah, another way to tell is if you have side airbags. It was part of a safety package that included ABS and side airbags (I have this). I know if you have side airbags you will have ABS but I don't know if you can have ABS and not side airbags. But yeah, if you're feeling adventurous go ahead and go out into an empty parking lot and slam on the brakes. This of course won't help if you have ABS and it has failed but the previous owner removed the light so they didn't have to look at it, LOL.

lol side airbags and abs was an option. u get both . from what i remmber is u cant just get one.

Isn't there a bulb only on automatics for the OD? Could you shine a bright light at the gauge cluster front and read the labels?

lol side airbags and abs was an option. u get both . from what i remmber is u cant just get one.

Hmm, are you sure about that? I've got ABS, but I'm pretty sure I have no side airbags. Maybe you were able to get them separately in Canada.

Hmm, are you sure about that? I've got ABS, but I'm pretty sure I have no side airbags. Maybe you were able to get them separately in Canada.
That's what I was getting at. I know if you have side airbags than you also have ABS but I think you can get ABS without side airbags. Just suggesting because if he has them then something is definitely up.

So as for the fun way of testing for ABS, I had actually tried that already, in the rain :) I was worried about what magnum spoke of. What if someone had pulled the bulb to hide the fact that the ABS was broken. I can't imagine it would have passed the safety or emissions (they plug it up to the OBD II sensor, any codes thrown and you fail) inspections if they had. I don't have side air bags, so it's safe to assume I have no ABS.

So I know one of the bulbs is for washer fluid, now I just need to find out what the other is for. I might go pull the cluster now. I tried shining a flashlight from the front... might have had just as much luck using a candle.

This time when I pull it, I'll try to actually map out the cluster and the bulbs just in case someone needs a reference.

Last thing to figure out is what the bulbs that are smaller than the 74 are.

-peel

OK, I can't focus on much of anything, but I somehow just spent a couple hours mapping out the cluster, and it was probably completely unnecessary.

So it turns out I must have been High or Something when I was changing out my bulbs because all of the bulbs are 74s with the exception of the two 194s. Why I thought two of them were smaller is beyond me.

I did find out most of the gauge cluster isn't used.

Anyway, here's a preview of my diagram that maps everything out. Click on it to get the full size image.

If someone wants to get me info from a manual transmission, or from an automatic that doesn't have sportshift or whatever it's called, I'll update it to show that as well.

Take care,

-peel

Back