Cargo light not working with hatch

cx9er

:
2011 CX-9 Grand Touring
I recently noticed that the light in the cargo area is not coming on when the hatch is opened. It works with the door and with the switch on the light...Any ideas?

ASS

CX9er are you leaving the switch on when you close the gate?

Excuse me? The cargo area light DOES NOT come on with the lift gate open. The only light that works with the lift gate is the one built into the lift gate.

Try it after your interior lights go out. Open the lift gate and you will see the cargo area light DOES NOT come on. This is by design (crappy), as wakblak stated too.

This has been discussed here on other occasions.

Now who's the ASS?

You're the ass. The cargo light IS the one on the gate. The light on the ceiling is the convenience light for the 3rd row passengers. Moron

Excuse me, ASS. I called YOU a name for your jerk-off comment about crappy design. I dont fault those guys for not knowing the third row dome light isnt a cargo light. I fault you for criticizing Mazda because YOU didnt understand the difference. CX9er asked a legit question, and I responded politely assuming he was talking about the actual cargo light, and offered a suggestion. I never noticed if the CARGO light came on with the other dome lights, so I assumed that maybe his hatch switch wasnt working.

Excuse me, ASS. I called YOU a name for your jerk-off comment about crappy design. I dont fault those guys for not knowing the third row dome light isnt a cargo light. I fault you for criticizing Mazda because YOU didnt understand the difference. CX9er asked a legit question, and I responded politely assuming he was talking about the actual cargo light, and offered a suggestion. I never noticed if the CARGO light came on with the other dome lights, so I assumed that maybe his hatch switch wasnt working.

I am not the first to call this a poor design in this forum, so I guess there are quite a few other morons hanging out here. My Cadillac Escalade turned this light on when the gate was open--why can't Mazda? Also, I leave my CX-9 3rd row seats folded down 90% of the time, so I consider that light a cargo light, as I'm sure many others do. Who are you to state unequivocally that this "3rd row" light is not a cargo light?

I know CX9er asked a legit question, and I responded with what I thought was a legit answer.

I hope it makes you feel better calling people names. I can't wait to see your reply to this post--what am I next? An idiot? A fool?

Sigh.....keyboard warriors.

This is the stuff that makes forums fun!(bicker)

Keep up the good work fellas!(2thumbs)

(flame2)(peep)(stopwar)(peep)(asshole)(peep) (ripped)(peep)(butt)(peep)(bicker)(peep)(nuts)
(peep)(direct)(peep)(shocked)(peep)(thinkbeer:D

(Just wanted to see how many emoticons I could use for this thread! And, let's lighten up, OK?)

Ted

Last edited:
It is a crappy design and I love my 9.
Sorry SportOwner, yr wrong in my opinion.
The damn light should stay on.
Worked like that in my other rigs.

:)the difference between a cadillac and a cx-9 is the electrical bus, all the integration and smarts (lighting-doors, hatches)the gm cars have is mainly due to the electrical can data bus everything communicates on, they can program these features via the main computer in someways customizing via the driver information center. I wish also that Mazda had done more integration and I think they probably will continue to add these features as the designs change and make the components communicate together and I have also spoken to my dealer asking why it appears many concerns brought up by owners seems to be ignored to later be found legit, many spoken of in this forum - and he has been in Mazda meetings and he said they are experiencing alot of growing pains. The internal changes and the popularity of the the flagship CX-9 and 7. I like the car and I would only buy another if I saw some design changes and improvements and feel as if Mazda does more to address owner concerns, many people see some peoples concerns as pedley but I don't, for a car in this price range we should expect attention and items to work as described, quicker response to our concerns. Just my thoughts, it is a fun car and I hope it continues to progress..(wiggle)

It's not a crappy design, and there is no right or wrong. It is simply how Mazda designed and intended it. It is the dome light for the third row seats. PERIOD
If you want to use it as a cargo light, reach up and turn it on.

If you dont like how a car works, don't buy it. Don't buy it anyway and then come here and piss about how it's designed wrong because it doesnt work the way you think it should.

Sorry I caused suck an issue with a simple question...I guess I am the ass here because the light I was talking about not working is actually the the third row dome light...never though of it that way but it makes sense. For those who gave me info I thank you...For those who decided to turn this into a pissing contest, especially sportsowner, I expect nothing less from you

I never thought negatively of you, even when I realized which light you were talking about. Honest mistake. We all make them.

My problem was with the ignorant knee-jerk reply you received calling it a bad design, rather than trying to be helpful, as I was.

Yes, it would have been nice if Mazda made the liftgate turn on all of the interior lights also, so with the third row down that third light would act as a cargo light also, but they didnt, so we are left to turn it on manually.

Maybe there is a way to tie the gate switch into a door switch to make that happen.

Back