Mod Choice Help.

lazedout

Hey all. I am looking to buy a MSP3 in the near future and am planning out what parts to buy beforehand so I can get an idea of what I am getting in to. I figured if I am going to upgrade, I will try to do as much as I can in one go. I am planning to install the following:

1) CorkSport FM Intercooler Kit (incl. intake, boost cut)

2) CorkSport Exhaust Kit (exhaust, RP, DP)

3) HKS SSQ BOV

4) ElectricBoost Controller/Manual Boost Controller (not sure what brand Any suggestions? Is an electric one necessary?)

5) Motor mount (Not sure of brand)

6) Engine mount insert

I am planning this will cost around $2500

Tell me if I am missing something, if I am putting too much, if There are other brands you would suggest, etc. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you're planning on buying an MS3 in the future...then don't plan your mods yet. More parts will be available soon to choose from!

well, future being like around 3 months. I am sure the parts that are coming out aren't going to be revolutionary compared to the ones that are out. If they are, tell me lol.

Also, what is a dashhawk scantool?

Might be a good idea to add an upgraded fuel pump to that list.

I'm in the same situation as you... I will be buying a MS3 in the near future, and I have been reading this board to see what owners are doing and what results they are yielding.

From what I've read, an intake/ic upgrade/tbe will lead to fuel cut, especially if you live somewhere that gets relatively cold.

Might be a good idea to add an upgraded fuel pump to that list.

I'm in the same situation as you... I will be buying a MS3 in the near future, and I have been reading this board to see what owners are doing and what results they are yielding.

From what I've read, an intake/ic upgrade/tbe will lead to fuel cut, especially if you live somewhere that gets relatively cold.

+1 (Awesome name too, BTW! (drinks))

The dashhawk is a multi-function gauge that you can use to read boost, A/F, and probably 50 other parameters directly from the ecu. If you are going to be modifying boost with a controller, you are going to need a boost cut defender/map clamp so you don't start throwing codes. Once you do that, you're going to need a standalone boost gauge, as the ecu isn't going to be getting a true reading.

Isnt the fuel cut item that comes with the FMI sufficient?

So I need dashhawk, and a map clamp (what is a map clamp?) I am running into so many things i have no clue about. Where is the best place to get these?

Isnt the fuel cut item that comes with the FMI sufficient?

So I need dashhawk, and a map clamp (what is a map clamp?) I am running into so many things i have no clue about. Where is the best place to get these?

Yeah, that will be fine, I was just noting that once you add a boost cut device, the dashhawk won't read boost accurately. The map clamp is just another way of limiting the boost that the ecu sees, so that's not an issue. sorry if that was confusing!

so if i buy this, i dont need the FCD and allows the boost guage to properly read boost? Sorry if i souned like a retard, I dont know much about the electronic parts.

Ok, can someone just list every part I will need. I am getting so confused with the map clamp, dashhawk on and on and on lol. I want to have 300+ crank and I don't want to mess around with the ECU. If I get these parts do I have to worry about FC and BC? If so please tell me what i need altogether. I have been reading the forum and am just getting more confused than ever.

Last edited:
You need to look at your think of your mods with a holistic approach. You may want to start by adding some items that will aid in long term reliability and driveability(SP?). For example:

Turbo timer
boost gauge
premium fluids (synthetic, oil, transmission fluid, water wetter)
engine mount, shifter bushings (I don't believe that a SS is such a great Mod, looking what most people say about them)

I would also consider an oil catch can, the oil that's introduce into the intake track can reduce the octane rating of that expensive premium gas you are pumping. Although this car is direct injected I'm not sure if that is necessarily true.

You can then start with the basics:

Intake
BPV (no BOV here this car needs to have it's air recirculated)
Downpipe
Mid pipe
(or a one piece design like the CP-E)
Exhaust (I hear the stock exhaust is pretty good and the after market systems only yield marginal gains)

Before you keep going you will need some sort of engine management, COBB will be releasing their AP system soon. compare to what's out there this will be the easiest to install/uninstall. At this point you will also need more fuel there are a few choices of upgraded pumps that are available. Now you are making good horse power and a front mount would be necessary.

That's what I'm looking to do when I take delivery of my new speed3 sometime in the next 90 days. (waiting to pay off wifes car)

Last edited:
Back