Soot on rear bumper near exhaust?

LazerBlueP5

:
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe // 6spd
Ever since I got the car the tailpipe has been impossible to keep clean. The bottom edge of the exhaust tip is always soiled black with soot.

Just recently I noticed the entire circumference of the exhaust tip was soiled black. After closer inspection I noticed faint soiling on the bumper (painted section) to the left of the black plastic that surrounds the lower bumper.

Is this normal? I'm concerned because I recently had my first oil change and the dealer over filled the oil (as per my "Dealership Oil Change Blues" thread). The oil level is between the "X" and "A" in on the text portion that reads "MAX" which is well over the little hole adjacent to the text marking the top threshold.

I wasn't sure if this was related or this sooty (is that even a word?) bumper is a normal occurrence with the MS3? Thanks in advance everyone!

Thanks for the quick reply! So the soot is solely from excess fuel not burnt oil?

yes black smoke when u floor it is just fuel, the soot is just from running rich it has nothing to do with th oil.. all ms3 have extreme soot out the tail pipe u will have this for the life of the car.

Just out of curiosity does the soot on the tail pipe cover the entire circumference of the opening or just the bottom?

I agree with the post above...plus whoever said there is not a problem with too much oil has never over lubricated their seals...A little extra oil wont hurt, but there is a point where it can be damaging (both in damaging the seals and also in causing unsafe oil pressures)

Off topic... You have an S2000 and a Mazdaspeed 3? You lucky b****... (fu)

It's either those two are 1 (one) Subaru Impreza STi. I'll take the two cars. :)

...Plus I work two jobs and am a bit older than most on here. 30 years old here. (peep)

Yeah, the one time I found 95 octane premium, I ran it, and noticed the soot you're talking about, I didn't let it get too bad and scrubbed it off really well, went back to 93 octane, and hasn't happened again, so yeah, like they said, you're just running rich.

Back