Harmonic Vibration?

Clarkbug

:
2003 Protege 5
Hey All.

I recently traded Protege5s (auto to manual) and noticed something this past week when I took it out for its first highway spin.

On the way up to crusing speed, I noticed that between 50 and 60, there is a resonating vibration from what sounds like the front passenger wheel. I thought it might just be my snow tires, but those were changed to new summer tires. (they now need a re-balance, which sucks, but thats besides the point)

Anyway, the noise is still there (it doesnt seem to cause anything to shake in the steering column). Any ideas what I can look for? I dont want to pay someone to investigate, and I dont want to ignore this if its a symptom of a bigger problem.

Thanks in advance!

My first guess would be wheel bearing as well, except I would think the sound would only get louder with speed, not go away at 60 mph.

I was wondering if it was a bearing, but then I assumed that I would hear other road noise at all speeds, not just a small range. I wasnt sure if it was something in the tranny, or a half shaft or something like that.

When I first got my P5 two years ago, I had a similiar issue. On the way to Nopi down in NH my friend that came with me, the first thing he said as we got going is whats that noise. I said what noise, he said you don't feel that, that vibration, I said yeah but it's been there since I got the car. Car acted and felt fine while driving other than that, turned out to be a seized caliper. Keep in mind I had new pads put on her two weeks earlier. Three quarters of the way there, just outside portsmouth we pulled of the highway and she was smokin like crazy. By the time I got back I had hardly any pads left. First and last time I got swindled. But that aside, my guess would be a seized caliper.

Back