New to the forum and to modding cars (and cars in general)

KPao

Hi all,

I will be getting an 08 Mazda 3 - my first car, soon (within the next month or so), and was looking to start modding. I spent some time browsing these forums and have a few questions. Please keep in mind I am VERY new at this and know limited amounts about cars. I use what information I can find on these forums to expand my knowledge but I have no clue what brands are good/bad or anything like that so any help is appreciated.

1. Acronyms

There are some acronyms that I keep running across that I can't find. OEM? If someone would be kind enough to make a list of acronyms I would be greatful.

2. 08 Parts

As I read Thebeansoldiers' recommendations of where to start for moddings I found that there are very few for the 08 mazda, notiablely for the companies that he had listed. Is that because it still a new car so few parts have been manufactured? As well because I plan on doing these mods, would any of these not be required/compatable with the 08?

3. Current 08 Mazda 3 owners

If there are any 08 owners that have modded their cars could you please share what you have done, with what you have done it with and how much it has costed as well as the benefits and limitations you've seen that would be great as this would give me ideas as to the possibities that are currently out there. Especially those that live in Canada, as I am Canadian.

Thanks in advance for any posts,

Sincerely,

Kevin

all i will say is this.

majority of 3 owners on this board are speeds, and not so much regular 3s.

do a search for the acronyms, because there are already numerous threads on that topic.

as for parts, they are available, but youll have to confirm with the companies that they are useable on the 08. although to my knowledge, nothing changed b/w the 07 and 08

and welcome =)

Urbandictionary.com can help you out in the acronym department. the "how-to" forum will help you out on how to put on parts/change parts. also search and patience will help you out GREATLY. I think the parts for the 08 that are different are the cosmetic ones, but i believe mechanically they're the same in all year so far. I might be wrong, but there was only minor tweaks between 06 to the 06 and then to the 07.

Welcome to the board by the way

Franco I saw that you had NGK Iridium Plugs, I've been looking around for them but have been unable to find them ... do you remember where you got yours from?

Franco I saw that you had NGK Iridium Plugs, I've been looking around for them but have been unable to find them ... do you remember where you got yours from?

i got mine a discount auto parts!
they do make a diff. maybe small but its a diff! plus they're better!
you can also order them from Protegegarage.com or ebay. just google NGK iridium!

You know, from my understanding, the NGK iridiums are stock. So says the dealer, kragen, autozone, and vacavalley auto parts, and napa

You know, from my understanding, the NGK iridiums are stock. So says the dealer, kragen, autozone, and vacavalley auto parts, and napa

(uhm)as far as my knowledge the're not... atleas my 08 didnt have ngk..
and if some do come with NGK there not iridium. but idk i think its just one of those things you do just for the hell of it and to know ur running on iridium. i knew it wasnt goin to give me much gain but i just prefer NGK iridium (2thumbs)

i got mine a discount auto parts!
they do make a diff. maybe small but its a diff! plus they're better!
you can also order them from Protegegarage.com or ebay. just google NGK iridium!

was unable to find them on protegegarage or ebay ... and had no luck searching through google nor could i find them at discountautoparts.com

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Thanks!

Are those the Iridium plugs? Or are all NGK plugs iridium?

EDIT: And could someone explain to me why ngk only has information on their products but not where or how to buy them? Not only do they not sell them but they don't have links to their distributers ... is it just me or is that dumb? Or am I blind and can't find out to purchase them?

Last edited:
Franco- I dunno man, because when i was looking for new plugs, they were costing like 8 or 10 bucks a pop, i know regular plugs(nothing special they just spark) are only like 4 or 5. i dont think NGK is going to make their plugs that expensive

Kpao-Autozone and kragen both had NGK, but they didnt carry the one specific for my car. protegegarage.com has them, its just the OEM replacements in their maintenance section

Back