Gas Consumption

anant

Hi Guys, Ive just registered to this forum cz I need some help.
I have a Mazda protege 5, 2003, 80K Autom.
Its in very good shape but the only problem is GAS CONSUMPTION , which is incredible: 17mpg
usually it should be around 25 up to 33mpg
Ive already changed the air-filter, cleaned the injector, changed the Spark Plugs, I even took the car to the Mazda company, and they told me that the car is perfectly clean.. No check engine..

Any ideas or suggestions.

Check the air in your tires too, could also be the gas stations around you use a winter mix that gives you worse mileage, and it could be your driving style too. But that is very low for a p5, you should be around 22-24mpg in city driving with an auto, it would be higher with a manual but not too much so.

That's exactly how much mpg i get. But after my recent ATF flush mpg is now 25 City hway mix. so give that a try. There's a good how-to's on this forum

Hi Guys, Ive just registered to this forum cz I need some help.
I have a Mazda protege 5, 2003, 80K Autom.
Its in very good shape but the only problem is GAS CONSUMPTION , which is incredible: 17mpg
usually it should be around 25 up to 33mpg
Ive already changed the air-filter, cleaned the injector, changed the Spark Plugs, I even took the car to the Mazda company, and they told me that the car is perfectly clean.. No check engine..

Any ideas or suggestions.

the p5 gets crap gas mileage. only thing you can do is drive slower

I have to disagree. I get great gas mileage, about 32 with a manual, and I drive somewhat aggressive. Speedn limit on the freeway here is 70+downtown stop and go+country roads at 60+road rage a couple times a week. I don't accelerate harshly all of the time which is a key factor in increased gas comsumption.

tire pressure
type of gas
seafoam the intake system and gas tank
clean the MAF
clean the EGR
change your oil and filter
flush tranny

When I am getting the my oil change time my gas mileage dips a little also, so oil can be a factor.

I'd say diehonda was dead on. I tend to lose a mpg or 2 a few hundred miles before an oil change is due. The ATF flush is a solid idea and try to pay attention to how you drive.

If you're constantly inducing a downshift, you're draining your tank faster. Also, at highway speeds, try to keep your rpms around 3k. Anything above that drains my tank super fast (that usually puts me at 65mph, which is creeping slow...but I've gotten 35mpg before doing just that). Granted, I drive a stick...but the engines the same, I bet there's something to that 3k rpms thing

Back