!!!!!!! C.E.L LIGHT (po304) code!!!!!!!!!

:
mazda protege 5
Hey guys driving home yesterday night my check engine light went on and the iddle was acting up. This morning went to aamco they gave me this code PO304 slight engine misfire need some help.

I'm getting the same code. It goes away after a day or so. Then idle drops real low then comes back on. I'm planning on cleaning the EGR this weekend as well as the Mass Airflow Sensor. If idle isn't fixed, might try new coils, plugs, and wires. If that doesn't fix it, it goes to the mechanic

Tylor

I thought that was the excessive exclamation mark CEL...

I'd start with the plugs and then we can go from there. Clear the CEL by resetting the ECU once you have.

Yep, start with the plugs and clean out the EGR. From there go with new spark plug wires and ultimately new coil packs if none of the fixes the problem. Maybe check the IAC valve or whatever?

I just got all new plugs so that isn't the issue for me. Next is wires then. But, Might as well get new plugs and wires at the same time. But, EGR and MAF sensor first. I'll let ya know how it works out

tylor

I'm brand new to this forum - found you this weekend when my hubby was struggling to figure out my rear brakes..... a huge thank you for having the "how to" on changing rear rear brakes posted!! I see that a few people have posted about CEL issues so I thought I'd share my recent experience with the dreaded orange orb (CEL). My CEL would blink for maybe 5-10 seconds & would idle so low it would just about die; then would stay on steady - sometimes for just a day or two, other times almost a week & then boom it would go off only to do the same thing a day or two later. Took it to a dealership who got a P0300 (random misfire) code but after 2 days they couldn't diagnose it and attributed it to bad gas. After two visits to the same dealership within a 6 week period I took it to a different dealership who finally diagnosed the problem as bad coils - unfortunately it was too late to save my CAT from being fried. All I can say is that if you're having this problem, don't be fooled by the fact that the CEL appears to correct itself like I was - definately check your coil packs! I understand it's relatively easy to change them yourself & with the dealership charging just over $400.00 for coils, plugs & wires it would definately save you some $$$. Anyhow, there's my two (or ten) cents worth - I hope that my experience helps you in some way. Thanks again for posting such great information, I'm sure I'll be a frequent visitor from here on out.

Debbi

I cleaned my MAF, but was a dummie and couldn't figure how to get the EGR off so I got frustrated and left it alone. Gonna try again tomorrow now that I reread the how-to. I hate not having the intrawebz at home.

If the EGR doesn't fx it, new plugs, wires, and coils are next.

Tylor

Back