Having a hard time starting

Lani

:
Mazda 3S
Last Sunday I went out to start my car and it wouldn't turn over. In fact, I got no response from the engine. I kept trying though and it finally started on the 4th try. I thought I might have left my lights on or something and drained the battery but I didn't. I took the car to Auto Zone to have the battery tested and it came back fine. I thought it was a fluke until today..

This morning I went out to my car and again, it wouldn't start. I kept trying though and on the 5th or 6th try I heard almost like a grinding noise from below which was scary. I tried again and it started.. Soon after I took my car to a Mazda Dealership to have it checked. They really couldn't find anything wrong with it other than a rough idle and that the throttle body sticks. They performed the fuel injection service along with a performance tune up.

Could a the throttle sticking prevent the car from starting? I should have asked them but I forgot. They want me to drop the car off next Thursday and leave it for a few days so they can get a better idea of whats going on.. Should I? Anyone here have a problem like this?

I'd appreciate any help.

Last edited:
go to another outlet that can test the batt. or back to dare i say auto zone. Your batt. could be showin 12+volts butt the cca (cold crank amps) are what start the car if its ratted under 500cca charge or replece the batt.

could be the starter too. possibly even just a loose connection. You say you heard a grinding noise while attempting to start it once...that sounds to me like it could possibly be excessive wear on either the starter gear or the flywheel ring gear.

Actually it was the starter and I had that replaced on Monday. There were concerns about the flywheel as well but I'm told that it's fine.

Thanks for replying!

cool! hi mel....i like how you go to the dealer for the problem and they can't find it but get you for a tune up and fuel injector cleaning.(pissed)..unless you asked them to do it...? i hope so!

cool! hi mel....i like how you go to the dealer for the problem and they can't find it but get you for a tune up and fuel injector cleaning.(pissed)..unless you asked them to do it...? i hope so!

I had the tune-up & the fuel injection service done as part of the 90,000mi service. I honestly felt the car needed it so yes, I did ask them to do it.

I really should learn how to work on my own car...

I had the tune-up & the fuel injection service done as part of the 90,000mi service. I honestly felt the car needed it so yes, I did ask them to do it.

I really should learn how to work on my own car...
you should seek out your local trade school and take a night course on auto mechanics! it will give you all the basics and help you diagnose things like a bad battery or alternator...:D

Back