Prospective buyer with some questions!

ChicagoMike

:
Ford Junk
I'll get my questions out of the way first, then optionally you can read my brief story of how I ended up here:

1. Is it still possible to order a MazdaSpeed3 or are they gone for 2008? Any word on a 2009 model? I don't plan on buying/ordering until summer. I'm interested in a GT model with the nav.

2. Can you get them for under MSRP? Or are dealers screwing you with mark-up?

3. Do the 2008.5 models still need a rear motor mount or have they fixed major problems?

4. Does anyone have a good Mazda dealer referral in Chicagoland in the south/southwest or west suburbs that is willing to order what I want and not make me pay MSRP or mark-up?

On to why I'm here. If I had it my way, I'd have a Acura TL Type-S 6-speed, but things happen. Relationship, financial.... I used to own a 600HP 2003 Mustang Cobra, I had $25,000 in mods from engine to suspension to cooling to looks. Damn it was fun to drive, and I miss the car, but I had to sell it this past summer to get out of debt. I'm currently driving a 02 Taurus that's on it's last leg and I've dumped thousands into repairing it, and now the motor is going bad. With my current situation, a small car that's economical and functional as a daily driver is what I seek. I've narrowed it down to the 3 contenders... and all fully loaded, because I am one who cannot buy a car without having every option on the list:

1. Toyota Corolla XRS 5-speed. Slowest, but cheapest to buy and insure, and 87 octane.

2. Honda Civic Si Sedan. I think it might be too small inside for me, costs a little more than the XRS loaded but there are mods available. But coming from a V6 Taurus and a V8 Supercharged Mustang, I've watched videos of it accelerating and it looks down right embarrasing. It's a better "looker" and for handling... otherwise... errrr... plus premium.

3. MazdaSpeed3 (last but not least): So it takes premium. So it costs a little more than the Civic Si. But I get the functionality and the performance for a daily driver (because I can't afford a TL or a new Evo MR at this time). Plus, it looks like I can really get into modding it without breaking the bank like I did with my Cobra, and found that I couldn't stop and was ready to go twin-screw blower and nitrous or Twin Turbos....

How does the MazdaSpeed3 hold up for those who go on long trips? I know it won't be a smooth Ford Taurus cruiser, I expect some road noise and road feedback... but not like in my Cobra where I had to wear earplugs or go deaf if I had to drive more than 45 minutes anywhere! My cousin drives a base Mazda3 5-speed and I love how it drives, handles and accelerates.

Mike

As far as I understand there is no 2009 model year. Mazda really only does "speeds" in two year intervals.

I don't have mine yet but it just hasn't arrived yet. Coming from an 05 gto, and now a 07 tbss, its more fun than either. Usable space, power and practicality. It turns tight and its a blast granted this is only from the few test drives I took. Everyone I know that has a 3 loves it and you gotta love the fact the speed3 is built fully in japan. Way better build and fit/finish compared to the older 6.

I'll get you in touch with my buddy in Schaumburg when you are ready. Cant remember the name of his dealer but they are one of the bigger mazdaspeed dealers in the area.

Final production date for the 08's is June 10th. So you should be able to get some in the summer. I am in the same boat as you with that. Final order date is like april 15th I think. So if you want to factory order one, you need to do very soon.Though i don't know if you can even factory order these.

You can get one around MSRP. I think dealers discovered very quickly that the "market adjustment" line item couldn't really be justified.

The car does very well on long trips. Comfy seats, good visibility, decent mileage, and the exhaust is quiet in 6th gear.

I just got my 2007 Speed3 GT last month from Schaumburg Mazda, FYI.

I'll get my questions out of the way first, then optionally you can read my brief story of how I ended up here:

1. Is it still possible to order a MazdaSpeed3 or are they gone for 2008? Any word on a 2009 model? I don't plan on buying/ordering until summer. I'm interested in a GT model with the nav.

2. Can you get them for under MSRP? Or are dealers screwing you with mark-up?

3. Do the 2008.5 models still need a rear motor mount or have they fixed major problems?

4. Does anyone have a good Mazda dealer referral in Chicagoland in the south/southwest or west suburbs that is willing to order what I want and not make me pay MSRP or mark-up?

Mike

1.You should have no prob finding a 2008-2008.5 in the summer but i dont kno about there after, these things sell pretty quick and only 10 thousand being made total.

2. you can get them for right at sticker, no markup or a few hundred under msrp...the dealers kno they'll sell the can anyway so you have to find a pretty cool sales guy

3. all the speeds rear mounts have been addressed since the 2k8 model but its still recommended to upgrade because it helps put the power to the ground more efficiently.

4. I'm in florida.

5. although i kno there was no number 5, its a great little car....i've owned alot of turbo cars, the speed isnt the fastest but it one of the more fun and by far a well rounded car.

Good luck with everything, i kno how the divorce thing goes...its tough

Pugi is a good dealership too. There's Naperville Mazda that just opened up, but I don't think they have any Speed3s. They have a brand new Speed6 inside FWIW.

There will be speed3s around in the summer. From what I hear most dealerships have plenty in stock so you should be able to get a good deal.

Biggers Mazda in Elgin, my buddy works there. Let me know if you're going and i'll give him your name and what you're looking for.

I'm going to hijack this thread. Same purpose but different area.

I'm doing my research, and thrilled to bits that they finally are going to use the Metro gray color.

So any recommendations on dealers in or around the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill areas (North Carolina)? I'll go just about anywhere.

TIA!
~V

Last edited:
I got my '07 GT this summer for near or below invoice--$22.5k. Make sure and wait until the end of the month to buy--makes 'em nervous...

Daniel

My suggestion to you is to try and get 2 or 3 dealers to start trying to duel for your business. Some are pricks, but when they know you'll walk out and go somewhere else, their tone changes. E-mail the dealers close to you and do your research before you go so you know what to expect.

Good luck with your purchase and I hope you enjoy your car.

That's good to know. The last car I bought was from Carmax, and there was NO negotiating...

Does anyone have a pref - Sport or GT?

It's sad when you know more about a car than the dealer.

Of your opinion, how does the MS3 fair with having usable space and utility? I'm not planning on towing anything, i'm just asking how practical that you current owners have found your cars to be. I never really fully realized just exactly how small the car is compared to my truck until I rolled up next to one in person. Otherwise, I had a blast driving it.

This has been debated before, but I'd still go with the GT, but one that has little or no options (Sirius/autodimming mirror at most).

Back