US Daytime Running Lights

Hud

Do the auto on/off lights on the 2008 GT also include DRLs? If not, is it possible to enable them in the US? Anyone done it? Thanks.

Hud

Last edited:
These aren't Saturns or Harleys, Hud. Most of the companies that provide drls think that you are too stupid to be able to turn your own lights on. That is a feature chasing a problem that doesn't exist. I wouldn't have bought my Speed3 if it came with drls. Thank God that drls are not a legal requirement in the US, yet.

DRL's are standard in Canada because conditions can change in an instant, and Yes people are sometimes stupid enough not to turn their lights on even when the condition warrants it. I've seen people drive at night with lights off. That's the Problem that does exists.

These aren't Saturns or Harleys, Hud. Most of the companies that provide drls think that you are too stupid to be able to turn your own lights on. That is a feature chasing a problem that doesn't exist. I wouldn't have bought my Speed3 if it came with drls. Thank God that drls are not a legal requirement in the US, yet.
Today I was driving on twisties, in the woods, in the middle of a downpour... several cars didn't use their headlights. And this doesn't occur once or twice a year, this is like a daily thing I witness in poor weather or lighting. There are plenty "idiots" in the country, DRL's help idiot-proof.

Personally I don't believe they make a huge difference, but really, I don't see any harm in DRLs. They're an minor, unobtrusive safety feature that you don't like because of how they affect the car's styling. Which, people always find a way to disable anyway if they think it's that important to kill 'em.

I bet a lot of people thought turn signals and high-mount 3rd brake lights were pretty stupid when they came out too... imagine how many accidents those ended up saving. No doubt DRLs were responsible in saving plenty as well, whether or not you want to believe that.

Anyways, whatever... done ranting. welcome Hud

Last edited:
Ya know, I see more cars with DRLs driving around at night without their lights on, I assume because the drivers see their DRLs on the road and think that their lights are on. Meanwhile, no taillights...(boom04)

My VW came with DRLs... 3 minutes and half an inch of shrink tubing took care of those training wheels. :D

Ya know, I see more cars with DRLs driving around at night without their lights on, I assume because the drivers see their DRLs on the road and think that their lights are on. Meanwhile, no taillights...(boom04)

My VW came with DRLs... 3 minutes and half an inch of shrink tubing took care of those training wheels. :D

That's why I Love my 5GS with Auto ON Lights although at times I feel it comes on a liitle later than I like, maybe because the DRL's there.

Isn't that the US Mazda6s have DRLs? It should not just be Saturns or GMs for that matter. With the projector and high beams DRL combo (I think), the car looks rather cool IMO

For sure I'm not giving an answer here, but if that is the case give it try posting in the Mazda6 section, you may be able to find how these work, and, if lucky, it may be similar to the US Mazda5s (dunno)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the warm welcome, jandree22.

And I hope shockdoctor has time to post his rant in the other threads about DRLs for other models since he was thoughtful enough to post about his Speed3 in the 5 forum.

Back