Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I program a Smart Key myself?

Registered Member

Prado TX

Used remote keys, transponder keys and the smart keys

We can supply used remote keys, transponder keys and smart keys for any of the Japanese Vehicles directly from Japan.

If you are aware of the steps to reprogram and utilize the used keys, then we can provide keys at a decent price.

Our weekly supply capacity differs from lower 20s to upper 40s.

Please PM us here for more details.

CX-3, CX-5 & CX-9 Moderator

08 CX-9 GT Fwd, Bose/Nav, BSM,Compass/Homelink, Pwr Lift,Tow

Are you a mazdas247.com authorized vendor? if not, your post, nihonkeys is invalid and needs to be removed.

08' CX-9 GT FWD
    Gray Mica with Black Interior
    Nav/Bose/Sunroof/Bluetooth /Rack&Crossbars/BSM/Pwr Lift/Homelink Mirror/Tow Pkg/All Weather Rear Mats
    K&N drop-in filter/Centric E-Coated rotors & Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics /2 Yakima ForkLift Bike Trays/ Weathertech front mats
    Tires: Nitto NT421Q
    Oil: Mobile One Full Synth & Mobile One Extended Performance filter
    Problems to date: Blower motor relays replaced once, intake manifold rear brace was missing from factory build, headlamp motors weak, windshield wiper plastic cap, rear strut leak.
    Mileage: 100k
    Job: Material Damage Adjuster

Registered Member

2008 CX-9 GT

So I've got a question about this. I have 2 smart keys, but my wife lost the aux key on one of them due to the little "lock clip" being broken. If I order a new smart key, will I still be able to program it without card #2's aux key?
    -Dan

your post in confusing. did she lose the smart card or the aux key? If you have 2 working smart cards, ordering an aux key is no problem. In fact they usually can match an aux key to your ecu's programming number (should be in your new car paperwork) .
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2008 CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by helbigtw View Post
    your post in confusing. did she lose the smart card or the aux key? If you have 2 working smart cards, ordering an aux key is no problem. In fact they usually can match an aux key to your ecu's programming number (should be in your new car paperwork) .
    Sorry, I thought it was clear. The key (blade) itself was lost, because the retainer clip in the fob broke. So another aux key isn't really an option since it will just fall out unless I tape it in or something. I'd like to just get another new unit altogether, since that one was flaky to begin with.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Ok I get it now. Yeah if you are wanting to get a new smart card, and the existing one still works, and you have 2 working smart cards, you can buy a smart card on ebay and program it yourself. I reccomend keeping your broken smart card somewhere safe for those "just in case" situations like if you loose one of your other cards.

Registered Member

2008 Mazda CX-9 GT

I bought a 3rd used Smart Card (a good deal), but it does not have a Aux/proximity transponder key. Those I see on Ebay have blank aux keys but they are chipless and useless as far as I am concerned. I found a couple of dealers online who have transponder keys available but they do not ship to Canada. Does anyone here know of a dealer who is either in Canada or willing to ship here from the States? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Both of the smartcards I bought on eBay were new Mazda cards, but the aux keys were knockoffs. However, both the knockoff aux keys had rfid chips inside them. Unfortunately one was only held in place by one drop of glue and it fell out. Are you sure none of the blank aux keys on ebay have rfid chips? I'm sure not only have I seen solo knockoff aux keys with rfid chips inside them, but I'm sure I've seen folks selling oem aux keys on ebay.

Registered Member

2008 Mazda CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by helbigtw View Post
    Both of the smartcards I bought on eBay were new Mazda cards, but the aux keys were knockoffs. However, both the knockoff aux keys had rfid chips inside them. Unfortunately one was only held in place by one drop of glue and it fell out. Are you sure none of the blank aux keys on ebay have rfid chips? I'm sure not only have I seen solo knockoff aux keys with rfid chips inside them, but I'm sure I've seen folks selling oem aux keys on ebay.
    Wow quick response thanks. I only found a couple of guys on Ebay who are selling aux keys and neither of them have transponders in them since I did in fact message them to know for sure.

https://www.ikeyless.com
    Seem to have great prices 20$ but don't ship to Canada.
    Last edited by CX-9_GT; 04-12-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Registered Member

2011 CX9

Is the procedure for the 2011 CX-9 the same as the 08-09s for programming the fob (not the key blade)? My wife's keys ended up in the microwave and came out a black smoking/melted mess...long story. Needless to say the key blade still registers with our 2011 CX-9 but the fob was burnt toast (literally). I acquired another fob but noticed the new fob is a mitsubishi electric remote and the acquired older fob is a siemens production.
    I tried the programming from the earlier post but do not get the confirmation from the vehicle (lock/unlock) that it is in programming mode.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by Flymhi; 04-18-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Flymhi...wow microwaved! When programming a new fob, you have to have 2 other working fobs present. If the fob that got zapped was the 2nd fob, you will have to go to the dealer to have them program the replacement fob, they will charge you an hour of labor.

Registered Member

Hi, do you have to reprogram the key fob after your change a battery or does it stay paired?

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by johnups View Post
    Hi, do you have to reprogram the key fob after your change a battery or does it stay paired?
    No. As for "programming", the ID in the keycard is made to be "remembered" by the car's ECU.
    The ID is unchangeable in the kaycard. Changing battery should not alter it.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

if I have two cards, can I program a third USED card from another car?

Quote Originally Posted by nyc1dxo View Post
    if I have two cards, can I program a third USED card from another car?
    To answer my own question: i was successful in programing the used remote.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast