Can I program a Smart Key myself?

Are there procedures specifically for the 2007 CX9 available somewhere? The instructions for the 2008 model posted above aren't working for the smart card (key programmed fine).

Thanks,
Rob

Are there procedures specifically for the 2007 CX9 available somewhere? The instructions for the 2008 model posted above aren't working for the smart card (key programmed fine).

Thanks,
Rob
You have no choice but to go to the dealer if you have only 1 working key. Search for the cx-9 repair manual and download it if you have more than one . The process for programing the smart key is in the manual.

All of these procedures linked say something about inserting a programmed key into an ignition cylinder and turning from ACC to ON several times.

I have no cylinder. I have nothing to turn.

I have two programmed keys. I need a procedure that works on the 2nd gen (2018)

Does anyone have that procedure?

Anyone had good experience with ikeyless.com?
I just ordered 2 key sets(Card Key+AUX key) for my 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring.
I called the dealer and they said they would wipe out the computer and re-program these two new ones and cut the keys for $65

Last edited:
Anyone had good experience with ikeyless.com?
I just ordered 2 key sets(Card Key+AUX key) for my 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring.
I called the dealer and they said they would wipe out the computer and re-program these two new ones and cut the keys for $65
That's not a bad price at all. I spent...well the dealer where I got my car spent 120 for the key and 150 for the programming via an independent locksmith. Then I got another replacement key (because it only came with one key) and followed the procedure in the manual. Now I have 3...It works.

3rd key fob

Hi Pele,

Just wondering how you got the third key fob programmed. I'm in a similar situation with two working fobs and just want to add another on my 2016 CX-5. Thanks.

-- Jeff

All of these procedures linked say something about inserting a programmed key into an ignition cylinder and turning from ACC to ON several times.

I have no cylinder. I have nothing to turn.

I have two programmed keys. I need a procedure that works on the 2nd gen (2018)

Does anyone have that procedure?

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a 2011 CX9 GT with the advanced smart key system (or whatever they call it). We have two working fobs that eat through batteries, so I just bought a used FOB off Ebay (with the key already cut). We don't need the actual key, since we have two. I am trying to program the key following the instructions on the first post for Advanced Keyless System, however have not been successful. I am bringing the two working fobs into the car with the new one. The instructions say to insert the key from the unprogrammed key into the ignition and turn it to on. However, the key itself isn't programmed and so won't turn. I am able to turn the switch without the key in it a little, then insert the key which allows me to turn it to on and ACC no problem. However, following the programming instructions does not work.

Here are my questions. Does it matter that the FOB is already programmed for another car? Is there anything I should do with the new key that is cut for another car? Should I use one of the other keys during the programming process, or does it have to be the new key? What else could I be missing? Any help is appreciated!

Yes you can (FORscan)

I just made 2 new keys for my 2010 Mazda CX 9. I followed more or less the instructions here: https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-do...ew-key-when-you-only-have-one-forscan-262637/ and here: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=839 Actually using the latest version of FORscan (free) and their 3 month extended license (also free). 2 blank switch blade keys I got from Amazon, and a ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII Adapter I got in Amazon for like 9 dollars (Autozone, or Walmart seem to carry them as well). The local dealer had quoted me $325 for one key. Instead following the procedure I got 2 keys for $50. When buying the blanks, make sure they have the same electronic description as your current key (mine matched exactly). And to be sure, do NOT erase keys before you know for certain your blanks can take the programing (so program them as spares). Once you know they program correctly, you can erase all keys (in my case to remove the lost key in memory).

Actually, my main issue was cutting the key. Nobody in this tiny town wanted to cut the Amazon blanks. What I ended up doing is that LOWES cut the keys in their own (dumb) blanks. They I dissasembled the switchblade blanks from Amazon (the shank of a 5/32 drill bit can be used to tap the spring pin out, and the 5/32 drill bit you can also use to make the right hole in the LOWES blank) and taped that and the blank from LOWES (after removing the plastic). Then I cut and filed the LOWES blank to exactly match the Amazon blanks. Then swapped them. It worked.

It is a little different for smart cards vs switchblade type keys. Whole different system with sensors and rfids both in the emergency keys and the cards.

2008 CX-9 with 2 4-Button Smart Keys but 1 lost Transponder Key Blade Insert

Hello all,
I have read the whole thread and have a question. I have 2 working Smart Keys (flat shape like a credit card). On one of them I lost the Key Blade Insert. I just need to buy another Insert & key-cut it? Does the Insert need programming? Thx much in advance your your help.

Buy a blank one. You can find them with or without an rfid chip. Buy one that confirms it has the rfid chip. Send me a pm. I have instructions in a file drawer that I used back in the day.

Back