Can I program a Smart Key myself?

2008 Mazda CX-9 Smart Key or Advanced Keyless System Programming

Thanks for the help here. I finally figured out the procedure for my 2008. Thought I would retype it here to capture the entire procedure in one place for the 2008. Note it is different than the 2007.

Notes:

Keys 1 and 2 are keys that already work with the car. If you have only one key, it won't work. The supplemental or auxiliary key is the traditional metal key that slides out and goes into the steering column. Key 3 is the new smart key to be programmed. This procedure is only for the "card" portion, not a new auxiliary key, which is programmed with a different procedure. Don't do any sequence of actions too quickly. Leave a second or two in between each action.

1. Bring all three keys into the car and place them in/on the center console. Close all doors, insert a supplementary (auxiliary) metal key (from Key 1 or 2) into the ignition key cylinder.

Complete Steps 2 through 8 within 30 seconds of starting the procedure!

2. Turn ignition switch to the ON position
3. Press UNLOCK on KEY 1
4. Press UNLOCK on KEY 2
5. Now turn the IGNITION SWITCH (currently in the ON position) back and forth as follows: - ACC -ON - ACC -ON - ACC - ON (it's three times)
6. Open the driver's side door and PRESS the DOOR LIGHT SWITCH TWICE (this is the switch that turns the interior lights on and off when the door is opened/closed). It is located in the door jamb, between the driver and rear passenger door towards the bottom. It's a plunger with a black rubber cover.
7. Close the door.

If the procedure (steps 2-7) was successfully completed, the car will automatically lock and then unlock the car once- signalling you that the new key is ready to be added.

8. PRESS UNLOCK on KEY 3 two times.

If successful, the new key will now work with the vehicle.

Repeat steps 2 through 8 for each additional key.

Last edited:
Never tried, but seems to be the process for 2011

I have a 2011 CX 9 and it does not work for me either....I can't get car in the program mode either...

any help?

I do have a 2011 also, I have not used this procedure at all, but I found it on what seems to be the service manual. May be you would like to give it a try:
2011 - CX-9 - Body and Accessories

TRANSMITTER ID CODE REGISTRATION [KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEM]

NOTE:

When registering the ID code into a keyless control module, verify that other transmitters are not being operated in the vicinity.

After ID code registering, remove the key from the steering lock and verify that all doors lock/unlock normally using the transmitter.

MazdaCX9_2011-Keyless.gif

Procedure for remote

Does anyone have the procedure to program a Smart Key? I have done keyfobs for Acura's before and I know they aren't that hard to do. I am not sure what is needed for the Keyless Smart Key's. I have 2, but one is cracked so was going to pick up a spare. Please let me know if you have any information.

I am personally very confused about the procedure for key itself and for the keyless remote control. I have 2 keys and 2 remotes (flat remote for cx9 2009) but one quit working (it is not the battery). I am trying to get a new one and re-program the remote. The key is fine. Let me know if you have any clue and sorry I cannot help on you key issue. Thanks,

Worked perfectly for my 2012 thx :)

Thanks for the help here. I finally figured out the procedure for my 2008. Thought I would retype it here to capture the entire procedure in one place for the 2008. Note it is different than the 2007.

Notes:

Keys 1 and 2 are keys that already work with the car. If you have only one key, it won't work. The supplemental or auxiliary key is the traditional metal key that slides out and goes into the steering column. Key 3 is the new smart key to be programmed. This procedure is only for the "card" portion, not a new auxiliary key, which is programmed with a different procedure. Don't do any sequence of actions too quickly. Leave a second or two in between each action.

1. Bring all three keys into the car and place them in/on the center console. Close all doors, insert a supplementary (auxiliary) metal key (from Key 1 or 2) into the ignition key cylinder.

3. Press UNLOCK on KEY 1
4. Press UNLOCK on KEY 2
5. Now turn the IGNITION SWITCH (currently in the ON position) back and forth as follows: - ACC -ON - ACC -ON - ACC - ON (it's three times)
6. Open the driver's side door and PRESS the DOOR LIGHT SWITCH TWICE (this is the switch that turns the interior lights on and off when the door is opened/closed). It is located in the door jamb, between the driver and rear passenger door towards the bottom. It's a plunger with a black rubber cover.
7. Close the door.

If the procedure (steps 2-7) was successfully completed, the car will automatically lock and then unlock the car once- signalling you that the new key is ready to be added.

Got a used smart key (w/uncut aux key) on ebay $99 be sure the FCC ID & IC code matches the current set.

Follow the instruction and thanks Pootie Tang for the tip on step 6.

Next to find a place to cut my Aux key..

Notes:

3. Press UNLOCK on KEY 1
4. Press UNLOCK on KEY 2
7. Close the door.

I have a 2007 CX-9 with the card style advanced keys. One of my keys stopped working last week (replaced battery, and double checked that the battery was good as it worked in the functioning key). The red light comes on when a button is pressed, but the vehicle does not respond. Is there any harm in attempting the reprogram sequence? Am I correct that I would skip step 4, and only press unlock on the currently functioning key?

The last line in the first paragraph says that this procedure is different from the 2007. So I think you're going to need to track that procedure down.

Last edited:
I don't think your'e going to be able to do it anyway. The vast majority of cars require 2 programmed & working remotes in order to program another. Logic being, if you give your key to a valet, mechanic, or neighbor, ect, he wouldn't be able to program another smart key to your car. If you have two smart keys, then you are likely the rightful owner of the car and therefore are allowed to program another (3rd, 4th, ect.). There are exceptions to this logic among car makers, but most are designed this way.

I don't think your'e going to be able to do it anyway. The vast majority of cars require 2 programmed & working remotes in order to program another. Logic being, if you give your key to a valet, mechanic, or neighbor, ect, he wouldn't be able to program another smart key to your car. If you have two smart keys, then you are likely the rightful owner of the car and therefore are allowed to program another (3rd, 4th, ect.). There are exceptions to this logic among car makers, but most are designed this way.

It started working again, buuut the case got cracked in the process of getting it functional. My mechanic ordered me a new one from the dealer since it actually stopped working while the vehicle was in for repairs, and then he was the one who cracked it. The new one came in, but I didn't have the cracked one (or a 3rd battery) with me so we couldn't program it. This has been a total gong show!

current smart key count: one whole and functioning, one cracked yet functioning, one whole but unprogrammed remote.

Any advice on where to go from here? I called the dealer who sold it, and they gave me a song and dance about having to be in a Mazda shop.

Anyone has any idea about how to add more then one keyless remote to my car.

There are lots of threads on here about the Advanced Key, but I'll just answer your question: If you only have one key right now, your outta luck doing it yourself, the dealer has to. If you have two keys right now, you can follow the instructions in post #69 above.

There are lots of threads on here about the Advanced Key, but I'll just answer your question: If you only have one key right now, your outta luck doing it yourself, the dealer has to. If you have two keys right now, you can follow the instructions in post #69 above.

hi Voldsom,

do you know if this will work with the newer smart keys ?

I thought #69 instructions were for 2007-2008 smartcard type keys ?

I'm looking to get another extra key since I still have two working keys, thanks in advance

That is the problem. I only have one key. that why I need suggestions.

hi Voldsom,

do you know if this will work with the newer smart keys ?

I thought #69 instructions were for 2007-2008 smartcard type keys ?

I'm looking to get another extra key since I still have two working keys, thanks in advance

Hmm, ya know, I'm not sure. There it's somewhat confusing as to when people are referring to the "smart key", "smartcard key", or the "advanced key". Post #65 and #69 mention the "advanced key", and differentiate between the 2007 and 2008. AFAIK, not much has changed with the vehicle since 2008. I guess you could try it and report back, if you plan on getting the third key anyway?

I just read through this entire thread and as someone just recently said -- it's very confusing regarding the terms used by various posters over the course of 7 years.

My question is -- I have 2 working FOBs and the silver part that connects the key to the keyring broke off of one of them. I purchased a new blank from eBay (that said it did NOT come with the chip) but I thought that was fine since I figured the chip must just be inside the FOB, not the key that slides out. Is that wrong? Is there a chip inside the black part that the keyblade attaches to as well? I'm beginning to think it is... and that my best option would be to buy a new key blank from the dealership and have them cut it for me. Or can I just have someone cut the key blank and all will be well? I do have 2 working fobs, and both original key blanks, but the one is kinda worthless if you want to attach a keyring to it.

Here is a picture of what I have -- the fob and key sliding out of it (without the grey cap to attach the key ring to it) and the new blank I ordered from eBay.

http://i.imgur.com/n6USO1D.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Back