Can I program a Smart Key myself?

Flymhi...wow microwaved! When programming a new fob, you have to have 2 other working fobs present. If the fob that got zapped was the 2nd fob, you will have to go to the dealer to have them program the replacement fob, they will charge you an hour of labor.

Hi, do you have to reprogram the key fob after your change a battery or does it stay paired?

No. As for "programming", the ID in the keycard is made to be "remembered" by the car's ECU.
The ID is unchangeable in the kaycard. Changing battery should not alter it.

I love all the information here!
After thinking I lost a key (but thankfully found it) I just got a USED smart key on eBay (but the AUX key will need replacing)I have two working keys. ALSO my drivers door switch was broken at the car wash and there is no button.
Q1 - Can I reprogram the USED key without the driver door switch working or do I need to replace that first?
Q2 - Do I need to get a new AUX key cut for the USED key I just got before I can reprogram? If so please provide best source for blank key and where I can get it cut (without going to Dealer)
MANY THANKS!

I love all the info here too!
Q1 - I don't remember needing to press the rubber button. But fyi on this.... you can buy a new rubber button. Someone just posted a diagram of the exploded handle view. If a dealer tells you that you have to buy the whole handle, they are FULL OF IT. They DO sell the button/switch seperately, but it does require removing the interior trim panel as well as removing the handle after that. Info on how to do that is also on here.
Q2 - You don't need the aux key to program the keycard. You can buy one on eBay but make sure it has an rfid chip inside it. Otherwise http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/ is a good source for oem parts. It's just a plain jane steel key, not lasercut or anything. Get it cut where ever you want, Ace hardware, etc. I had my local Mazda dealer grind my new just for the fact that if they messed it up, they would have to buy me another aux key.

Welcome!

I can confirm that the programming procedures work on the 2010 CX-9. I purchased a replacement smart key and emergency key, and was able to program both using the instructions listed here since I already had 2 working keys. I am so glad to have this information on the forum, because the dealer, locksmith, and most of the online sellers for these keys say that you have to have them programmed by the dealer. Now I don't have to worry about losing another key (lost one previously resulting in extra fees for having the dealer program the new second key), since I have a spare.

Thanks for all those who provided the information!

After doing a little research, it appears that the 2008 CX-9 has two different key systems. There is the flip-key system (which I have) and the Smart Key keyless credit card system. Are the instructions that have been discussed here applicable to both systems? Also, at the beginning of this thread, OMF posted two different sets of instructions. Which of these procedures should I follow? Or do they both have to be followed for different reasons? I apologize if these sound like basic questions and appreciate any insight you can provide.

HoloHolo, the most recent key that I programmed myself was from www.originalkeyless.com. I ordered the smart key plus the uncut emergency key from them, then had a local locksmith cut the emergency key for $2.50. Warning: I ordered the smart key and emergency key from them on July 19, 2012. On July 28 I had not received anything other than an order confirmation, so I e-mailed them to check on the status. Their response was that the order had been authorized and sent downstairs to be packaged and shipped. That was the last I heard from them until January 11, 2013 when I received a shipping confirmation. I had already found a used smart key on e-bay to replace the lost one, but decided to keep the one I just received to have a spare. The smart key I ordered off of e-bay had to be programmed by the dealer because I had lost my original second smart key. Also, I purchased a replacement emergency key from the dealer at the same time that I had them program the smart key I bought from e-bay. The main thing to verify before purchasing an additional smart key is that the FCC ID on the key matches the keys you already have. From what I understand, different year models have different FCC IDs even though the keys look the same.

Guammer: I used the instructions in Post #2 attached as PDFs. One set of instructions is for programming the smart key (the key that just has to be in proximity of the car to open the doors, and has to be inside the car for the car to start). The other set of instructions are for the emergency key with the RFID, which I assume would be the same instructions for a vehicle with the flip key that does not have the smart key system.

This procedure doesn't appear to be working on our new 2012 CX-9. I tried it a couple of times yesterday, and never got the car into 'programming mode' apparently, at least the driver's door switch never operated the power locks in the vehicle. Has anyone else performed this programming procedure successfully with the newer smart key style key fobs?

I'm waiting also to hear of success in self-programming a switchblade style key and it's remote for a 2012 CX-9. Anyone?

This procedure doesn't appear to be working on our new 2012 CX-9. I tried it a couple of times yesterday, and never got the car into 'programming mode' apparently, at least the driver's door switch never operated the power locks in the vehicle. Has anyone else performed this programming procedure successfully with the newer smart key style key fobs?

I have a 2011 CX 9 and it does not work for me either....I can't get car in the program mode either...

any help?

I have an '09 CX-9 GT and can not program the remote. The directions for the card key programming say (the Note under Step 8) that the door lock and unlock actuator on the car will activate after Step 3 (insert the supplementary key into the ignition key cylinder). After Step 9 a Note indicates the same thing will happen after Step 8 is completed.

When I've tried this, the first door lock/unlock (after Step 3) does NOT occur, but the second, after Step 8 does. After completing the directions, the new card key does NOT get programmed. Tried this several times, but see next.

I've tried it multiple times and sometimes I get the second lock/unlock, but have never gotten the first lock/unlock sequence.

Any thoughts?

FYI: The new/unprogrammed key has an identical codes as the OEM key cards that came with the car and the battery is fresh.

The first time I tried programming a replacement, I over read the instructions I.e. psycho analyzed it. Don't make the instructions harder than they are. Also the instructions are pretty year specific. I.e. 2010 or fob instructions are not interchangeable with 09 cardkey instructions.

The last sentence is the key.
The instructions are year-model specific.
Those for '08 might not work for '09.

If you look in the how to thread, there is a copy of the 08-09 factory service manual. It is in there. Also, there are a couple threads from years past. Ceric posted a thread with links to programming a cardkey years ago.

Back