Can I program a Smart Key myself?

Great post...OMF's Key programming pdf worked on my 2011 CX-7 on the first try. It saved me $70 in dealership charges.

Last edited:
Great reading thru this thread. I have a slightly different twist that I'm hoping someone can help clarify. I have a 2008 CX-9 GT with 2 Smart Cards. One of the remote cards has stopped working completely, the other works but sporadically. Still have both aux keys and they work just fine. From all that I've read, including the instructions on programming additional Smart Cards, two 'cards' must be working in order to program additional cards...is this true or is the fact that both 'keys' are still available and working sufficient? I'm trying to differentiate between the 'card' and 'key' components of the Smart Card to determine what must be functional in order to go thru purchase and programming of new/additional Smart Cards.

As a follow on, any idea what might be causing the one remote card to not work? Both cards have become increasingly tempramental over time until the one just stopped working altogether. Tried numerous new batteries. The one good still requires an ocassional shake/tap to get it to work. Is it possible the dead unit just lost its programming and a dealer may be able to reprogram? Depending upon the answer to the above regarding operation of key versus card, if i can somehow get this second card working then i could purchase new Smart Cards on ebay, program myself and save a ton of dough.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.

It could be numerous things. You could have transponder sensors out, which are placed in various locations in the vehicle that communicate with the smartcards, or you smartcard battery contacts might not be fully touching the batteries. Try taking them apart to find the problem. Try to get both to work just temporarily at least so you can buy more cards and program them yourself. To program a card yourself, you do have to have 2 working cards. If you can only get one to work, dealer will have to program a second, and then you can program a third. Dealer will charge about an hour of labor to program a second.

If you cannot get either card to work, and using aux keys alone is not satisfactory for your needs, then you have to but a new computer + 2 cardkeys and this will run you in the 800 dollar range.

I'm sure if you are dilligent, you can get both cards to communicate just for a minute or 2 while you program a third yourself. If you can get both of them to work, buy 2 more and program them yourself.

helbigtw, appreciate the advice...spent some more time with fiddling with the remote card and turns out the lower battery contact was actually going above the battery rather than below. So now have a second working card. Ordered two more and will program upon reciept. Thanks again.

Hi,
Do you have directions for keyless FOB programming for 2011 CX9? From the owners manual I understand that you can customize settings i.e. such as when you leave your car the doors will automatically lock, but you have to bring your FOB into the dealer to have them do this. Is this a dealership only thing?
Thanks

Yes it is a dealer only deal, they can do this for you if you want. Your owners manual also tells you how to program a new fob.

Yes, you can register up to the maximum of 8 smart keys for your CX-9. You must have two "valid" keys - that can start the engine.

UPDATE: see another PDF file attached for advanced keyless system card key registration.

Thanks!!

I just bought a backup remote (advanced key) from Ebay ($58) and was able to program it using those attached instructions. Since I bought my car a month ago I went from 1 remote to 3! I was glad I was able to get it programmed, because with the "used" remotes, you just never know.

Now I need to find an uncut key that will fit into the fob. The key that's in there is already cut. Is there any reason to keep that key around?

Gotta tell you folks, so far, I reaaaally like this car!

you can either buy an uncut aux key from the stealer for about 35, or buy a knockoff on eBay. I will caution you, the knockoff aux keys are not made as well.

One of the aux keys I got on ebay fell apart within days of purchase. The RFID chip literally fell out of the aux key when I pulled it out of the smartcard, and I discovered it had only a tiny dab of glue holding it in.

The aux key from Mazda is completely sealed, so I would recommend buying one from Mazda. You can either have the dealer grind the new key, but I would recommend taking the new aux key to a good locksmith for grinding. The dealer only has a crappy grinder, and the hourly employee won't give 2 craps about taking care to grind it well.

A locksmith will grind it much more carefully. The aux keys are lasercut at the factory, but dealers don't have those. I found a local pop-a-lock retail store that has a laser machine, but they charge like 200 or 250 to use a laser to cut a key. So I just opted the traditional grinding.

Used remote keys, transponder keys and the smart keys

We can supply used remote keys, transponder keys and smart keys for any of the Japanese Vehicles directly from Japan.

If you are aware of the steps to reprogram and utilize the used keys, then we can provide keys at a decent price.

Our weekly supply capacity differs from lower 20s to upper 40s.

Please PM us here for more details.

So I've got a question about this. I have 2 smart keys, but my wife lost the aux key on one of them due to the little "lock clip" being broken. If I order a new smart key, will I still be able to program it without card #2's aux key?

your post in confusing. did she lose the smart card or the aux key? If you have 2 working smart cards, ordering an aux key is no problem. In fact they usually can match an aux key to your ecu's programming number (should be in your new car paperwork) .

your post in confusing. did she lose the smart card or the aux key? If you have 2 working smart cards, ordering an aux key is no problem. In fact they usually can match an aux key to your ecu's programming number (should be in your new car paperwork) .

Sorry, I thought it was clear. The key (blade) itself was lost, because the retainer clip in the fob broke. So another aux key isn't really an option since it will just fall out unless I tape it in or something. I'd like to just get another new unit altogether, since that one was flaky to begin with.

Ok I get it now. Yeah if you are wanting to get a new smart card, and the existing one still works, and you have 2 working smart cards, you can buy a smart card on ebay and program it yourself. I reccomend keeping your broken smart card somewhere safe for those "just in case" situations like if you loose one of your other cards.

I bought a 3rd used Smart Card (a good deal), but it does not have a Aux/proximity transponder key. Those I see on Ebay have blank aux keys but they are chipless and useless as far as I am concerned. I found a couple of dealers online who have transponder keys available but they do not ship to Canada. Does anyone here know of a dealer who is either in Canada or willing to ship here from the States? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Both of the smartcards I bought on eBay were new Mazda cards, but the aux keys were knockoffs. However, both the knockoff aux keys had rfid chips inside them. Unfortunately one was only held in place by one drop of glue and it fell out. Are you sure none of the blank aux keys on ebay have rfid chips? I'm sure not only have I seen solo knockoff aux keys with rfid chips inside them, but I'm sure I've seen folks selling oem aux keys on ebay.

Both of the smartcards I bought on eBay were new Mazda cards, but the aux keys were knockoffs. However, both the knockoff aux keys had rfid chips inside them. Unfortunately one was only held in place by one drop of glue and it fell out. Are you sure none of the blank aux keys on ebay have rfid chips? I'm sure not only have I seen solo knockoff aux keys with rfid chips inside them, but I'm sure I've seen folks selling oem aux keys on ebay.

Wow quick response thanks. I only found a couple of guys on Ebay who are selling aux keys and neither of them have transponders in them since I did in fact message them to know for sure.

https://www.ikeyless.com
Seem to have great prices 20$ but don't ship to Canada.

Last edited:
Is the procedure for the 2011 CX-9 the same as the 08-09s for programming the fob (not the key blade)? My wife's keys ended up in the microwave and came out a black smoking/melted mess...long story. Needless to say the key blade still registers with our 2011 CX-9 but the fob was burnt toast (literally). I acquired another fob but noticed the new fob is a mitsubishi electric remote and the acquired older fob is a siemens production.
I tried the programming from the earlier post but do not get the confirmation from the vehicle (lock/unlock) that it is in programming mode.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Back