Can I program a Smart Key myself?

ebertm

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
Does anyone have the procedure to program a Smart Key? I have done keyfobs for Acura's before and I know they aren't that hard to do. I am not sure what is needed for the Keyless Smart Key's. I have 2, but one is cracked so was going to pick up a spare. Please let me know if you have any information.

Does anyone have the procedure to program a Smart Key? I have done keyfobs for Acura's before and I know they aren't that hard to do. I am not sure what is needed for the Keyless Smart Key's. I have 2, but one is cracked so was going to pick up a spare. Please let me know if you have any information.

Yes, you can register up to the maximum of 8 smart keys for your CX-9. You must have two "valid" keys - that can start the engine. Otherwise you need a special tool (M-MDS).

UPDATE: see another PDF file attached for advanced keyless system card key registration.

Attachments

• Smart Key Programming.pdf
    199.2 KB · Views: 17,503
  • Card Key ID Code Registration - Advanced Keyless System.pdf
    219.6 KB · Views: 19,797
Last edited:
Programming CX-9 Keys

Yes, you can register up to the maximum of 8 smart keys for your CX-9. You must have two "valid" keys - that can start the engine. Otherwise you need a special tool (M-MDS).

UPDATE: see another PDF file attached for advanced keyless system card key registration.

Just purchased two keys on Ebay but they would not go all the way in the ignition switch. To make the keys work the stop step on each side of the key has to be milled down, to the same width as the rest of the key, all the way to the rubber head. Also the rubber head is too thick to go between the plastic protrusions on the ignition switch. I solved this by grinding some rubber off each side of the key. Another good thing to do is have a good locksmith cut the keys for you. He will make less mistakes than some of the other cheaper places. The procedure listed with this article works well so go for it.

Had the same problem with my keys, had to mill them down. Definately have to visit the locksmith but programming was a breeze

I tried the procedure and it doesn't work

Remmington,
A common mistake people make is to have both Key1, Key2 and Key3 nearby while going through the procedure. That confuses the ECU. At any time during the process, only ONE key is present (detectable by ECU) near the CX9.

You should try it again. This procedure has been tried many times. Dealers do the same but charge you 1 hour labour at least.

Last edited:
Remmington,
A common mistake people make is to have both Key1, Key2 and Key3 nearby while going through the procedure. That confuses the ECU. At any time during the process, only ONE key is present (detectable by ECU) near the CX9.

You should try it again. This procedure has been tried many times. Dealers do the same but change you 1 hour labour at least.

I am referring to the advanced key procedure, which says two have key 1 & 2 plus the new key inside the vehicle

Last edited:
Remmington,
I checked my 2008 Workshop Manual and found some discrepancy against the PDF above.
Here is what is on the Workshop manual of 2008. This differences may be significant, may be not. It does not hurt for you to try it, especially if you have a 2008. The one OMF posted is likely to be for 2007 model.
Again, when "using key x" (in the following procedures), remove the other 2 keys from vicinity so that the ECU is not confused.

Key 1 and Key 2 are valid keys. Key 3 is the one to be programmed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Prepare key 3 for programming
2. Start the engine using key 1.
3. Verify that the security light illuminates for approx. 3 s, and then goes out
4. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
5. Using key 1, turn the ignition back to the ON position
6. Verify that the security light illuminates for approx. 3 s, and then goes out
7. Using key 1, turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position within approx. 4 s after the security light goes out.
8. Remove key 1
9. Repeat Step 5-8 using key 2 instead of key 1
10. Repeat Step 5-8 using key 3 instead of key 1
11. If an additional key is to be programmed, repeat Steps 2-10 with the additional key as key 4
12. Verify that all keys can start the engine for 5 s or more after the procedure

Has anyone actually done this successfully on an 2008 with the advanced keyless system?

Ceric's answers all seem to be about the smart keys including his alternative steps from the 2008 manual. As far as I can tell the 2008 manual matches the linked PDF for the advanced keyless system.

I can't get the procedure to work. When instructed to "press the door switch twice" (step 8) nothing happens. I assume it means the external door lock switch (little black button) although the directions are not very explicit. The interior lock switch doesn't make sense as it is a toggle.

I'd really rather avoid paying the dealer (mostly out of stubborness). Can anyone veryify that this works (or that they can even get the right result out of step 8 even if they aren't programming a third key)?

-Jeff

I can't get the procedure to work. When instructed to "press the door switch twice" (step 8) nothing happens. I assume it means the external door lock switch (little black button) although the directions are not very explicit. The interior lock switch doesn't make sense as it is a toggle.

I'd really rather avoid paying the dealer (mostly out of stubborness). Can anyone veryify that this works (or that they can even get the right result out of step 8 even if they aren't programming a third key)?

I finally figured this out. The "door switch" they refer to is the switch that activates the courtesy light when the door is open. It's on the door frame to the left of the driver's left shoulder when the door is open. Press it twice, then shut the door and press unlock twice on the new key card.

How to If only have one key.

Unfortunately, I lost one of the 2 switchblade keys that came with the new vehicle. Is going to the stealership my only option?

Anyone have instructions for a 2011 CX9 with the advanced key system. It is a fob design - not a card. I have two fobs and would like to program a third as a backup.
Thanks.

A number of folks have talked about programming a 3rd key and one or more transponders themselves using the procedures set forth above. I just bought a 2008 CX-0 and was given only one flip key for keyless entry. So, I am getting another key cut and programmed by the dealer. I figured that would be the least expensive way to go. But I'd like to get another transmitter/transponder elsewhere and program it myself. Also thinking about getting another key while I have two working keys. So, a couple of questions.

1. Am I correct that it is possible to program a transmitter myself while having only one that currently works?

2. There are a number of sellers on E-Bay who sell blank keys for the CX-9 and sometimes the transponder as well (I have a 2008). But, many, if not all of them, make a point of saying that the the sell blank key has to be programmed by the dealer. This seems contrary to what I have read in a number of threads on this forum. My understanding is that once I have two working keys I am able to program a third key myself.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Lisa

Alisa:

First, your understanding is correct. If you got ONE working key, the second one has to be programmed by professionals.
If you got two working ones, you can DIY. The procedures can be found on this board. I got a 2008. So, the procedures I listed
work for yours.

Second. If you are buying a key to be programmed by the dealer, it is probably better to buy it thru the said dealer.
The worst senario that I have heard was that someone bought a "blank key" and ask the dealer to program it.
The dealer came back and said that it did not match/could not be programmed. What do you do, then? You have to
deal with the eBay seller again. Quite a hassle to deal with back and forth. However, it is your call if you are willing to
take the risk of troubles and save some $$$.

In any case, before you lose your only key, get the second working one. When you have none, the price will go up by 3X!
That is what happens with these modern key. Always make sure you have two.

Ceric,
Thanks for your response. I do plan on getting a key from the dealer and having them program it. But I'm thinking of getting a third key and programming it on my own before I lose a key. Are you of the opinion that those eBay sellers who say that a key bought from them has to be programmed by the dealer are simply incorrect if in fact you have 2 working keys?

Lisa

If you buy a smartcard on ebay, whether it is new or used, programmed for another vehicle or unprogrammed, you can still program it yourself for your vehicle (assuming you already have 2 working cards). If you go through eBay like I did, I would highly advise on going with a new card and not a used one. I bought a brand new one, and all it took was one 4 foot drop (by the Mazda service manager) for it to stop working properly, so if you buy a used one, you don't know if it's been dropped or disassembled or what. Also, just for fyi, if a smartcard on eBay does not come with an aux key, or comes with a used aux key that is already cut for another vehicle, you can buy an uncut aux key on eBay, or other website, or through Mazda, I think they're like 30 bucks through the dealer. Just beware: "They" are selling alot of knock off aux keys on the internet which look like the real actual key, and does fit in the smartcard, but does not fit as nicely as the genuine Mazda aux key, and additionally, and most importantly, some of these guys glue the transponder chip inside the square key housing with one tiny dab of glue (likely comes from China). If that transponder chip falls out of the key, and for whatever reason your smartcard goes dead and you need the aux key as a backup, your aux key will not let you start the car if the chip has fallen out somewhere along the way. My advise: IF THE AUX KEY YOU OBTAIN WHETHER IT BE WITH THE SMARTCARD OR SEPARATELY DOES NOT COME DIRECTLY FROM MAZDA, BE SURE TO CONTACT THE SELLER AND ASK IF IT IS AN OEM MAZDA KEYBLANK, KEYBLANK HOUSING, AND KEYBLANK TRANSPONDER CHIP, because these guys are selling new oem Mazda smartcards, with knockoff aux keys that are cheaply made.

Last edited:
This might be a stupid question. For the Card Key programming, the instructions at step 3 ask to "insert the supplementary key". Which key is the supplementary key?
I know which the auxiliary key is. I have a 2008 CX9 GT with the advanced keyless entry and start option and I am trying to program a 3rd card key, as I have 2 working ones. Thanks in advance.

Back