Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Can I program a Smart Key myself?

Registered Member

cx9

Quote Originally Posted by helbigtw View Post
    Locksmith may be wrong. Need a matching rfid chip to program a new rfid chip. GT has 20" wheels and xenon headlamps. Touring has halogen headlamps and smaller than 20 in. wheels. Sport has cloth seats. GT uses smart entry. I believe touring and sport do not for 09 model.
    Oh , it has 20" wheels and Xenon headlamps so must be GT. smart entry would mean smart card type key?
    is there a way to identify the key FCC ID based on VIN number.

CX-3, CX-5 & CX-9 Moderator

08 CX-9 GT Fwd, Bose/Nav, BSM,Compass/Homelink, Pwr Lift,Tow

So you have a 2009 CX-9 GT. It needs smart cards. Cannot use the newer smart fob. Cannot get an fcc number from the vin. You dont need a smartcard to start the car. You can use the emergency key which is inside every smartcard, but if only using the emergency key, it MUST have a matched rfid chip inside the emergency key. If you don't even have any working emergency key, the only way I know if is to buy a kit consisting of 2 new smart cards and emergency keys, and a matching computer. 800 dollar kit I believe. But consult your local dealer. Things may have changed lately.

Registered Member

cx9

Update, took the car to the dealer, got two smart cards and 2 aux keys for 410$. Aux Key cutting was not done as they wanted 2days to do it. Dealer gave me a 35% discount on parts, still made a lot of money for his effort. No new ecu was required.

Thanks guys for the help.

Smart card (3 buttons) price 200$ each, aux key 40$ each, cr2025cells 4$ each ( -35% discount on all) rest was labour.

New problem cutting the aux keys. the key i have which works properly in all locks(apart from the glove box where I have to wiggle it to work) is bit different in size than the blank aux keys I got. Will check with an expert keysmith not a big difference.

CX-3, CX-5 & CX-9 Moderator

08 CX-9 GT Fwd, Bose/Nav, BSM,Compass/Homelink, Pwr Lift,Tow

Congrats! Glad no ecu was needed. Probly a gimmic they got away with in the past.

Registered Member

cx9

Key cutting also done , no issues simple job.

Now need power window gears for 3 windows and fix the airbag code12 pretensioner issue. Will search on forums.

Registered Member

CX-9 2013 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by nascar77 View Post
    Gone through the posts, my problem is still unique!, I bought a Mazda cx9, 2009 in a police auction , does not have any keys.
    Found a locksmith who prepared a key to open the doors. next he tried to prepare a key with chip but he was unable to program the chip so i m unable to start the car.
    The key i have now only opens doors and turns the ignition but it will not start. The blinking key light in the dash stays red and does not turn green.
    Any ideas. i just want to exhaust all options before i go to the dealer.
    Quote Originally Posted by nascar77 View Post

Now need power window gears for 3 windows and fix the airbag code12 pretensioner issue. Will search on forums.
    jeez, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you paid for this CX-9 at police auction ? seems like a whole bunch of things to fix, but it sounds like you're pretty handy but things add up pretty quick,

is it an AWD ? if so, I would definitely check the PTU to make sure the oil is not sludge.
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...mp-Replacement

Other common CX-9 problems are clogged AC drain, brake booster failure, and bad wheel bearings.
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ghlight=unclog

Also, 3 spark plugs by the firewall are a b*itch to replace
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ighlight=spark

and water pump replacement requires a whole engine pull out.
    Last edited by astriuminc; 09-12-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9, Grand Touring

Reading through all these posts I have come to the conclusion I have to buy the key from the dealer and have them program it. However what is confusing me is the cost of the key. I just called two dealers in my area and they both quoted about $300 for just the key and key fob. Then 185 for the programming of the key so total around $500 for a new programmed key. However I have read on a couple of posts that people have purchased the key from the dealer around $150 significantly cheaper. So I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with an ebay source or possibly another dealer? I have a feeling these dealers are just marking up the price or are the quotes I received correct?

Unfortunately for me I only have one key so I am looking for any options or help.

Thanks,

Registered Member

cx9

i paid 6000$ for it, spent another $3000 on fixing stuff, new battery, cleaning and oil changes. it has 85K km on it so generally in very good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by astriuminc View Post
    jeez, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you paid for this CX-9 at police auction ? seems like a whole bunch of things to fix, but it sounds like you're pretty handy but things add up pretty quick,

is it an AWD ? if so, I would definitely check the PTU to make sure the oil is not sludge.

Other common CX-9 problems are clogged AC drain, brake booster failure, and bad wheel bearings.
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ghlight=unclog

Also, 3 spark plugs by the firewall are a b*itch to replace
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ighlight=spark

and water pump replacement requires a whole engine pull out.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 6 S GT, tech package

Quote Originally Posted by ebertm View Post
    Does anyone have the procedure to program a Smart Key? I have done keyfobs for Acura's before and I know they aren't that hard to do. I am not sure what is needed for the Keyless Smart Key's. I have 2, but one is cracked so was going to pick up a spare. Please let me know if you have any information.
    Quote Originally Posted by OMF View Post
    Yes, you can register up to the maximum of 8 smart keys for your CX-9. You must have two "valid" keys - that can start the engine. Otherwise you need a special tool (M-MDS).

UPDATE: see another PDF file attached for advanced keyless system card key registration.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 6 S GT, tech package

Quote Originally Posted by ebertm View Post
    Does anyone have the procedure to program a Smart Key? I have done keyfobs for Acura's before and I know they aren't that hard to do. I am not sure what is needed for the Keyless Smart Key's. I have 2, but one is cracked so was going to pick up a spare. Please let me know if you have any information.
    Quote Originally Posted by OMF View Post
    Yes, you can register up to the maximum of 8 smart keys for your CX-9. You must have two "valid" keys - that can start the engine. Otherwise you need a special tool (M-MDS).

UPDATE: see another PDF file attached for advanced keyless system card key registration.
    Where is that PDF file, can't find it, sorry floor my stupid question.

Registered Member

Are there procedures specifically for the 2007 CX9 available somewhere? The instructions for the 2008 model posted above aren't working for the smart card (key programmed fine).

Thanks,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robtemp View Post
    Are there procedures specifically for the 2007 CX9 available somewhere? The instructions for the 2008 model posted above aren't working for the smart card (key programmed fine).

Thanks,
    Rob
    You have no choice but to go to the dealer if you have only 1 working key. Search for the cx-9 repair manual and download it if you have more than one . The process for programing the smart key is in the manual.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-9 GT

All of these procedures linked say something about inserting a programmed key into an ignition cylinder and turning from ACC to ON several times.

I have no cylinder. I have nothing to turn.

I have two programmed keys. I need a procedure that works on the 2nd gen (2018)

Does anyone have that procedure?

Registered Member

Anyone had good experience with ikeyless.com?
    I just ordered 2 key sets(Card Key+AUX key) for my 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring.
    I called the dealer and they said they would wipe out the computer and re-program these two new ones and cut the keys for $65
    Last edited by 2008GT; 10-02-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2008GT View Post
    Anyone had good experience with ikeyless.com?
    I just ordered 2 key sets(Card Key+AUX key) for my 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring.
    I called the dealer and they said they would wipe out the computer and re-program these two new ones and cut the keys for $65
    That's not a bad price at all. I spent...well the dealer where I got my car spent 120 for the key and 150 for the programming via an independent locksmith. Then I got another replacement key (because it only came with one key) and followed the procedure in the manual. Now I have 3...It works.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567