Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I program a Smart Key myself?

Registered Member

2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring

Can I program a Smart Key myself?

Does anyone have the procedure to program a Smart Key? I have done keyfobs for Acura's before and I know they aren't that hard to do. I am not sure what is needed for the Keyless Smart Key's. I have 2, but one is cracked so was going to pick up a spare. Please let me know if you have any information.

2007 CX-9 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ebertm View Post
    Does anyone have the procedure to program a Smart Key? I have done keyfobs for Acura's before and I know they aren't that hard to do. I am not sure what is needed for the Keyless Smart Key's. I have 2, but one is cracked so was going to pick up a spare. Please let me know if you have any information.
    Yes, you can register up to the maximum of 8 smart keys for your CX-9. You must have two "valid" keys - that can start the engine. Otherwise you need a special tool (M-MDS).

UPDATE: see another PDF file attached for advanced keyless system card key registration.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by OMF; 03-08-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Registered Member

Programming CX-9 Keys

Quote Originally Posted by OMF View Post
    Yes, you can register up to the maximum of 8 smart keys for your CX-9. You must have two "valid" keys - that can start the engine. Otherwise you need a special tool (M-MDS).

UPDATE: see another PDF file attached for advanced keyless system card key registration.
    Just purchased two keys on Ebay but they would not go all the way in the ignition switch. To make the keys work the stop step on each side of the key has to be milled down, to the same width as the rest of the key, all the way to the rubber head. Also the rubber head is too thick to go between the plastic protrusions on the ignition switch. I solved this by grinding some rubber off each side of the key. Another good thing to do is have a good locksmith cut the keys for you. He will make less mistakes than some of the other cheaper places. The procedure listed with this article works well so go for it.

Registered Member

Had the same problem with my keys, had to mill them down. Definately have to visit the locksmith but programming was a breeze

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by OMF View Post

I tried the procedure and it doesn't work

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

Remmington,
    A common mistake people make is to have both Key1, Key2 and Key3 nearby while going through the procedure. That confuses the ECU. At any time during the process, only ONE key is present (detectable by ECU) near the CX9.

You should try it again. This procedure has been tried many times. Dealers do the same but charge you 1 hour labour at least.
    Last edited by ceric; 10-19-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ceric View Post
    Remmington,
    A common mistake people make is to have both Key1, Key2 and Key3 nearby while going through the procedure. That confuses the ECU. At any time during the process, only ONE key is present (detectable by ECU) near the CX9.

You should try it again. This procedure has been tried many times. Dealers do the same but change you 1 hour labour at least.
    I am referring to the advanced key procedure, which says two have key 1 & 2 plus the new key inside the vehicle
    Last edited by Remmington; 10-19-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Remmington,
    I checked my 2008 Workshop Manual and found some discrepancy against the PDF above.
    Here is what is on the Workshop manual of 2008. This differences may be significant, may be not. It does not hurt for you to try it, especially if you have a 2008. The one OMF posted is likely to be for 2007 model.
    Again, when "using key x" (in the following procedures), remove the other 2 keys from vicinity so that the ECU is not confused.

Key 1 and Key 2 are valid keys. Key 3 is the one to be programmed.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Prepare key 3 for programming
    2. Start the engine using key 1.
    3. Verify that the security light illuminates for approx. 3 s, and then goes out
    4. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
    5. Using key 1, turn the ignition back to the ON position
    6. Verify that the security light illuminates for approx. 3 s, and then goes out
    7. Using key 1, turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position within approx. 4 s after the security light goes out.
    8. Remove key 1
    9. Repeat Step 5-8 using key 2 instead of key 1
    10. Repeat Step 5-8 using key 3 instead of key 1
    11. If an additional key is to be programmed, repeat Steps 2-10 with the additional key as key 4
    12. Verify that all keys can start the engine for 5 s or more after the procedure
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Has anyone actually done this successfully on an 2008 with the advanced keyless system?

Ceric's answers all seem to be about the smart keys including his alternative steps from the 2008 manual. As far as I can tell the 2008 manual matches the linked PDF for the advanced keyless system.

I can't get the procedure to work. When instructed to "press the door switch twice" (step 8) nothing happens. I assume it means the external door lock switch (little black button) although the directions are not very explicit. The interior lock switch doesn't make sense as it is a toggle.

I'd really rather avoid paying the dealer (mostly out of stubborness). Can anyone veryify that this works (or that they can even get the right result out of step 8 even if they aren't programming a third key)?

-Jeff

Registered Member

I can't get the procedure to work. When instructed to "press the door switch twice" (step 8) nothing happens. I assume it means the external door lock switch (little black button) although the directions are not very explicit. The interior lock switch doesn't make sense as it is a toggle.

I'd really rather avoid paying the dealer (mostly out of stubborness). Can anyone veryify that this works (or that they can even get the right result out of step 8 even if they aren't programming a third key)?
    I finally figured this out. The "door switch" they refer to is the switch that activates the courtesy light when the door is open. It's on the door frame to the left of the driver's left shoulder when the door is open. Press it twice, then shut the door and press unlock twice on the new key card.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 2007 Standard

How to If only have one key.

Unfortunately, I lost one of the 2 switchblade keys that came with the new vehicle. Is going to the stealership my only option?

CX-3, CX-5 & CX-9 Moderator

08 CX-9 GT Fwd, Bose/Nav, BSM,Compass/Homelink, Pwr Lift,Tow

yep, unless you can find a service shop out there with a mazda modular diagnostic machine (mmds) which costs thousands.

08' CX-9 GT FWD
    Gray Mica with Black Interior
    Nav/Bose/Sunroof/Bluetooth /Rack&Crossbars/BSM/Pwr Lift/Homelink Mirror/Tow Pkg/All Weather Rear Mats
    K&N drop-in filter/Centric E-Coated rotors & Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics /2 Yakima ForkLift Bike Trays/ Weathertech front mats
    Tires: Nitto NT421Q
    Oil: Mobile One Full Synth & Mobile One Extended Performance filter
    Problems to date: Blower motor relays replaced once, intake manifold rear brace was missing from factory build, headlamp motors weak, windshield wiper plastic cap, rear strut leak.
    Mileage: 100k
    Job: Material Damage Adjuster

Registered Member

Anyone have instructions for a 2011 CX9 with the advanced key system. It is a fob design - not a card. I have two fobs and would like to program a third as a backup.
    Thanks.

Registered Member

2008 CX-9 Sport

A number of folks have talked about programming a 3rd key and one or more transponders themselves using the procedures set forth above. I just bought a 2008 CX-0 and was given only one flip key for keyless entry. So, I am getting another key cut and programmed by the dealer. I figured that would be the least expensive way to go. But I'd like to get another transmitter/transponder elsewhere and program it myself. Also thinking about getting another key while I have two working keys. So, a couple of questions.

1. Am I correct that it is possible to program a transmitter myself while having only one that currently works?

2. There are a number of sellers on E-Bay who sell blank keys for the CX-9 and sometimes the transponder as well (I have a 2008). But, many, if not all of them, make a point of saying that the the sell blank key has to be programmed by the dealer. This seems contrary to what I have read in a number of threads on this forum. My understanding is that once I have two working keys I am able to program a third key myself.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Lisa

Alisa:

First, your understanding is correct. If you got ONE working key, the second one has to be programmed by professionals.
    If you got two working ones, you can DIY. The procedures can be found on this board. I got a 2008. So, the procedures I listed
    work for yours.

Second. If you are buying a key to be programmed by the dealer, it is probably better to buy it thru the said dealer.
    The worst senario that I have heard was that someone bought a "blank key" and ask the dealer to program it.
    The dealer came back and said that it did not match/could not be programmed. What do you do, then? You have to
    deal with the eBay seller again. Quite a hassle to deal with back and forth. However, it is your call if you are willing to
    take the risk of troubles and save some $$$.

In any case, before you lose your only key, get the second working one. When you have none, the price will go up by 3X!
    That is what happens with these modern key. Always make sure you have two.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast