Grand Touring or Sport?

Hey everyone. I'm new to the board. First post, been lurkin for a few days. I'm in the market for a new car and test drove a MS3 Sport the other day and fell in love with the way it drove.
I currently have a bmw x5 and the lease is up and I'm over the high payments anyway. I really like having navigation, leather, heated seats, and xenon headlights in my x5. As I understand it, are these things what separate the sport from the gt?

You really cant beat the prices on these cars for what you get.

What do most of you guys have, GT or sport? Would love to hear some input.

Also, the dealer i went to had a 2008.5 in Metro Gray, but as a sport. I didn't know at the time that they were new , I just thought it was an option to have the piano black. After doing research, I realized what I was looking at haha..

I just got an 08 white MS3 Sport. The only major differences I see on the GT are the leather seats, HIDs, LED tails, automatic headlights, and an option for Navi. I really want HIDs, so that is an inexpensive aftermarket buy. The leather seats, ehh, didn't really matter to me....spending like $1700 more for the GT did! lol I absolutely love the sport! But either way you choose, you're getting a GREAT car!

GT is not much more expensive and has many more nice options. I would go for a GT...otherwise you may be having buyer's remorse later wishing you had the HIDs, the better stereo, LED tails, etc.

Adding all that later is going to be expensive and difficult.

GT is not much more expensive and has many more nice options. I would go for a GT...otherwise you may be having buyer's remorse later wishing you had the HIDs, the better stereo, LED tails, etc.

Adding all that later is going to be expensive and difficult.

+1

i got the gt since i figured the extra 2g over a 5 yr loan wasn't much.
i got it mainly for the headlights and radio (since i don't plan to put a system in)

i actually didn't even want the leather.
the auto wiper thing while i didn't think i would like it, is actually pretty cool, it's amazing how much lazier you can get when given the option.

But then again, if you don't care for leather seats and plan to build a whole new stereo system and want to put your own HIDs in or something....it might make more sense to get the sport. just depends on you and what you want from the car downt he road.

I got the GT becasue they had three of them on the lot, and they were all GTs... and the automatic wipers seemed like a good option.

i got the sport, didnt want leather seats and this sport had CAI and MS cbe already on it... i prefered power over hids.... lol, about to put hid aftermarket in though..

The CAI can be added later for $300ish. The MS CBE can be added for $600ish.

I wouldn't base my decision on that alone, since you can easily add those (or something better/different) later on.

Coming from an X5, I would have thought this would be a non-issue. Get the gt in cosmic blue. Lights, bose, seats, wipers and resale. Creature comforts are not something to be overlooked or underestimated on a $24K fun car. Think of yourself first, but also look at who the next guy in line for your car too. Would you pay top dollar for cloth seats knowing full well that leather, hid's, climate control and auto wipers are out there for less than $1500? I'd say, get the Cosmic Blue one.

GS or GT ?

Throw the cat another goldfish - go with the GT ! (dunno)

go with the GT. i have a sport but the only thing i wish i did hav were those HID's...its totally up to you if you wanna spend the money on the extra stuff.

I don't even like the half ass leather in the GT. I had the dealer install aftermarket leather for less than a 3rd the price of upgrading to the GT. I also installed my own HIDs for ~ $60.

Auto sensing wipers are NOT going to add to resale value to justify the higher cost. We are not reselling a Mercedes here. Also, many of us will upgrade to after market stereos.

I got my sport, used the extra money saved to buy some more go fast goodies and had a larger down payment.

Last edited:
I don't even like the half ass leather in the GT. I had the dealer install aftermarket leather for less than a 3rd the price of upgrading to the GT. I also installed my own HIDs for ~ $60.

Auto sensing wipers are NOT going to add to resale value to justify the higher cost. We are not reselling a Mercedes here. Also, many of us will upgrade to after market stereos.

I got my sport, used the extra money saved buy some more go fast goodies and had a larger down payment.

x2. you have to remember 1700-2000 financed....is a whole lot more money.

You get an ass load of nice stuff on the GT for not too much money. It's a no-brainer to me. Leather, rain-sensing wipers, bose audio - 6 disc cd changer with amp and 7 speakers, anti-theft security system, HID headlights-adjustable, Led tail lights for like $1,700. How the hell can someone say that's a rip off???

It is all bout what you want man. Personally, I think the new 08.5 GT models are somewhat tacky with all the new stuff. It just isn't my cup of tea.

The reasons I went with the Sport model vary. Leather can look really bad if not treated well; imagine the expenses of repairing those GT headlights or taillights or any other feature; although insignificant, the sport model probably weighs a little less; I will probably upgrade my speakers anyways; etc, etc.

That being said, you do get a lot of extras for not too much more cash. Mainly, because this was my first vehicle purchase, the rate I got from the bank was set for the Sport model and even with my dad co-signing the loan (he has great credit as do I) I am still paying 356.93 a month. Getting the GT would have probably rounded it off to an even 400 but I figure the extra money I am saving will probably go to gas or modifications.

Back