Yet Another VSS thread (with pics too)

lovswr

:
Mazda 3 I
Ok, I accidently put this in the CX-7 forum. Anywhooo here are some pics of exactly where you can get the VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal) for your Pioneer AVIC-D3 (or if you just have a vss fetish:)) in the Mazda 3

The pin for the vss is in the 24 pin connector behind the instrument cluster. If you get the factory nav, this is the spot where the vss comes from. In the pic it is the one on the left. As you sit behind the steering wheel, it is on your right.

DSCF0272.jpg

The bottom of the dash, under the steering wheel, just comes out. Be gentle. Then take the rubber boot/skirt off of the top of the wheel. There are 3 screws that hold the instrument cluster in. The one at the top is easy to see in the pic above...

This is the left screw on the bottom
DSCF0276.jpg

... and here is the right side.
DSCF0277.jpg

Now the whole instrument cluster will just come out enough away from the windscreen so that you can easily get that clip off. I tried to be lazy at first & take the clip off without removing the cluster for 30 minutes. Of course it only took 45 seconds to get the cluster out. :D

Here is the clip. You want the 5th hole from the left. So the one between the white /w green wire & the red /w yellow stripe.
DSCF0273.jpg

I just used some speaker wire I had laying around, but the long pink wire that comes in the box will work just fine. Just strip back enough so that it is just a little longer than the connector. You want to make sure that the pins make good contact when you put the connector back on.
DSCF0274.jpg

I'm driving about 4 miles an hour trying to take this picture. VSS registered as 1 at that speed. As you can see, I did the parking brake mod as well.
DSCF0279.jpg

Custom backgrounds. You have to log in there to see the pics.

DSCF0280.jpg

DSCF0281.jpg

Back