$100 to program a key, ugh

dparm1984

:
2007 MazdaSpeed 3 GT
Is $100 for a new key right? Dealer I got the car from couldn't find the other key/remote, so I'm having a new key cut and programmed from the local dealer.

They also claim they can't reprogram the existing one?

If you have two keys, programming a third is cake. If you have only one, they have to hook up the computer to add a key. If the $100 includes the key, cutting, and programming, that is a bit high but about standard for a dealer. The key itself is about $50 from the dealer and the rest is labor. You can get the key cheaper, but gotta suck up for the programming.

The reason they make it hard to add a second key is so a valet cannot dupe your key.

Well I'm kinda annoyed that they can't disable the other key that's floating around out there...worries me that someone out there could find the car and steal it.

I assume that the immobilizer chip in the key is controlled by the ECU, meaning the ECU would need to be replaced in order to effectively disable the lost key.

How hard is it to program another remote? And I take it those sweet all-in-one keys on the other Mazdas don't work?

Well I'm kinda annoyed that they can't disable the other key that's floating around out there...worries me that someone out there could find the car and steal it.

I assume that the immobilizer chip in the key is controlled by the ECU, meaning the ECU would need to be replaced in order to effectively disable the lost key.

How hard is it to program another remote? And I take it those sweet all-in-one keys on the other Mazdas don't work?

when the dealer does the program they can wipe all current working keys out of the system and only the keys they have right then will start it. Unless you re-key the car the lost key will still unlock the doors but should not start it.

A new transponder key will cost you ~$18 cut to your car and shipped to your door from Jason at www.onlinemazdaparts.com. Other online guys will probably give you the same price as well.

-Standard transponder key ('04-'08): Part number F1Y1762GX. MSRP-$23.65, Website-$18.92

Incidentally here's the info. for a new remote
-Standard remote fob ('07-'08): Part number BAN6675RY. MSRP-$141.05, Website-$117.84

Like others said to program more keys yourself you need two working keys, otherwise they have to plug in to the computer and do it manually. It still shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so, so if they refuse to budge on the price try checking around with other dealers. I recommend you go ahead and get a third key as well, that way if you lose one in the future then you can still buy a new one and reprogram it yourself without having to go through the dealer again. You can have up to 8 keys and 3 remotes.

Whenever you program keys you have to program all the keys every time, not just the new ones. So when they program in the new keys any previously programmed keys that aren't reprogrammed at the same time will no longer start the car. They will still open the door, but will not start the car. Programming a remote is super easy and will take you less than a minute to do yourself, absolutely don't let them do it unless you can't do it yourself.

If you bought the car new from them then they should be replacing the key and remote that are missing and not charging you a dime for them since they lost them. If it was used then you're a tad SOL in that respect.

And I take it those sweet all-in-one keys on the other Mazdas don't work?

Unfortunately the flip keys for other models only work up to the 2006 Mz3.... we've not found one that actually works with '07+ Mz3's yet. To clarify that they key itself will work just fine (after programming), it's the remote portion that can't be programmed. However my flip key works quite well on my '05. 8)

Thanks. I called back the dealer and explained, "I'd like the existing key and new key to be the only ones that work." He checked with the tech and said they can indeed do that.

What's the procedure to program the remote?

Thanks. I called back the dealer and explained, "I'd like the existing key and new key to be the only ones that work." He checked with the tech and said they can indeed do that.

What's the procedure to program the remote?

Have all the remotes that you are going to be using, maximum of 3, with you when you do this programming as all of them have to be reprogrammed into memory.

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off) position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

I also bought a car with only one key and had to go to mazda and pay $100.00. I when with the switch blad style key and love it.

What counts as 2 keys?

I also bought a car with only one key and had to go to mazda and pay $100.00. I when with the switch blad style key and love it.

So, I have 2 remotes, but one of the remotes is missing the slip out manual/valet key. The dealer wants $140 to program the new valet key.

Do the two remotes alllow me to program the new valet part myself?

Have all the remotes that you are going to be using, maximum of 3, with you when you do this programming as all of them have to be reprogrammed into memory.

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off) position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

really?? can anyone else confirm this?? if so, then this becomes a sticky!

So, I have 2 remotes, but one of the remotes is missing the slip out manual/valet key. The dealer wants $140 to program the new valet key.

Do the two remotes alllow me to program the new valet part myself?

lol major thread bumpage!!!

(dance)

really?? can anyone else confirm this?? if so, then this becomes a sticky!

Confirmed. First I've done it several times (it usually takes one or two tries to get the timing right), and that's copied/pasted from M3F.

freshcx9 said:

Do the two remotes allow me to program the new valet part myself?

Can't really say about the CX9. If it's set up the same way as the 3 then you need to have two working keys to program in another, so that's probably why the price is so high.

Oh also I need to make a retraction on my post above from last year. I talked with bagman1 and the dealer key programming where they plug into the computer actually takes 45 minutes, so that explains the programming cost as they're charging you for pretty much an hour of labor.

He doesn't have a MS3 according to his profile.
AFAIK there is no switchblade key available on the US MS3.

Just to point out the difference is between year models, not between Mz3 vs. MS3. The remote system is the same between speed and standard models of the same year.

In the US there are flip remotes which can programmed for '04-06 Mz3's. In 2007 the KEU was changed and no flip remotes work with it. Since all MS3's are 2007+ there are no flip remotes that work with US MS3's. To clarify the key portion of the flip key can be programmed to any '04-"09 Mz3/MS3 as the immobilizer is the same across all models.

If you're in Canada then there are flip keys available for newer models.

Hi,

Had anybody tried the local auto locksmiths for making a ignitable transponder key (with only one functional key)? and how much they charged for this kind of service? I have checked several local auto locksmiths' websites, in their service description stated that they are capable for this kind of tasks. I just wonder is it true? and will they charge much cheaper than dealer?

Back