California regulators shooting for 40 mpg by 2020

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
The recently passed federal regulations adjust the average vehicle fuel economy standards to 35 mpg by 2020. Long before the Federal Government passed the new standards, the State of California had their mind set on enforcing their own rules. In order to individualize the regulations, California and the 15 other states following on its heels, needed a waiver from the EPA. The Golden State had never been previously denied a request, but the EPA lagged in issuing an approval. After all that waiting the waiver never came. Shortly after President Bush signed the new federal standards into law, EPA Administrator Stephen Johnson shot down the request.

Now as politicians battle over the right to gain state control on vehicle carbon dioxide emissions, California legislators arelooking to expand upon their intended greenhouse gas controls. The original plan outlined adjustments from 2009 through 2016, but the revised outlook will shift focus up to the year 2020, which lines with the target date of the federal regulations. The major difference is that the California Air Resources Board believes cars and trucks should average close to 44 mpg by 2020. That breaks down to a 50.8 mpg car and small truck average and a 33.5 mpg average for vehicles tipping the scales. Considering variations across the country it's estimated to be an average of about 40 mpg for the whole of the United States. It also makes for an enormous 62-percent improvement upon today's vehicles.

california_green-250-op.jpg

If we were to use diesel technology more widely, I don't think the number is unreachable. Otherwise, there are very few cars on the road that could make 40 gasoline mpg. That includes all of the turbo vehicles on this board...

Diesel is going to have to be the way they get there. The new Jetta TDI will get over 40 mpg, and it's actually something I wouldn't mind driving.

I wonder how they would do the math with an EV in the lineup.

Hell, the old Jetta TDI would pump out 50-60MPG highway!!! damn greenpeace bastards killing excellent technology :(

How about reducing CO2 emissions by limiting how much people can breathe? Also, instead of limiting new cars, why not force people to get rid of their old cars that pollute more than the new cars? (cars from the 50s 60s & 70s) I agree with nealric. Get rid of SUVs. California should make it where you need a permit to own a SUV. A soccer mom of 2 does not need a vehicle that weights so much it doesn't fall under EPA regulations (Ford Expedition L). Instead of forcing manufacturers to change their ways, they need to put some effort in making people take some personal responsibility.

Back