Heat Shields and the MS3...

Hey guys, I've been looking at these and was wondering if anyone has tried them or have any comments on the use of these.

-Thermo Tec cold air intake lace up heat shield:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo Tec/893/14500/10002/-1

-Thermo Tec turbo wrap kit:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo+Tec/893/15001/10002/-1/750863|10261

I know in some instances the heat Shields/wraps cause pipes to oxidize and such.

Living in Florida, I'm not looking forward to +90* air temps and a smoldering hot turbo spool; just trying to mitigate heat...

Let me know what you guys think... (2thumbs)

never liked those wrap kits. they eventually get brittle and chip or break or crack off. it might be ok on stock parts, since they are cast, but they've been known to trap moisture on mild and stainless steel and cause corrosion.

if i had enough downtime, i'd have the stock cast manifold and turbine housing (provided you weren't going to get a tubular manifold later on) extrude honed and have them swain white lightning coated. that stuff is thick and about the best coating there is out there. it's an actual layer, not just a sprayed on stuff like jet hot and other stuff.

if anything, you could get some of the reflective gold layered film and put some on the rear side of the intercooler to help reflect some of the radiant heat from the turbo area. did this on alot of the 240s we worked on, kept the brake booster and firewall area nicely protected from heat. and you can have it up to 0.25" near the heat source and it won't burn.

Yeah the heatwrap is going to be worthless especially on our small turbos. Unless you're upping the boost to over 18psi (which isn't recommended in the first place since all you're doing is blowing hot air) then I wouldn't even touch it. Those wraps only work on bigger turbos like the GT28+ ect.

You guys are bursting my mod bubble... :(

I hear ya though... I was hoping to find a solution to the Florida heat coming soon...

You guys are bursting my mod bubble... :(

I hear ya though... I was hoping to find a solution to the Florida heat coming soon...

I've asked this before, but I don't remember seeing an answer.
I've never taken my IC off, so I don't know if there is any sort of heat shield between it and the top of the engine.
How good is the venting of our engine bay? Has anybody looked at what can be done to let some of that heat out? There is ducting to blow fresh outside air over the IC, but how about some sort of channeling to direct it out of the engine compartment afterward? Maybe hood vents, or something subtle behind the front wheels, or inside the wheelwell?

I've asked this before, but I don't remember seeing an answer.
I've never taken my IC off, so I don't know if there is any sort of heat shield between it and the top of the engine.
How good is the venting of our engine bay? Has anybody looked at what can be done to let some of that heat out? There is ducting to blow fresh outside air over the IC, but how about some sort of channeling to direct it out of the engine compartment afterward? Maybe hood vents, or something subtle behind the front wheels, or inside the wheelwell?

No there isn't any type of heatshield when you take the IC off. The main source of air is going to be coming from the grill where the radiator stands. Obviously, a cold air intake would help too because it would trap cold air from under the wheel well.

The ram air system that forcefeeds the intercooler only will supply heated air to the engine bay. After removing oem and installing ETS 3.5, I was looking at where the "exit" side air from the TopMount IC would go. More comments on this please. Didn't someone duct their hood recently? Also, for now, no shroud plate mounted.

The ram air system that forcefeeds the intercooler only will supply heated air to the engine bay. After removing oem and installing ETS 3.5, I was looking at where the "exit" side air from the TopMount IC would go. More comments on this please. Didn't someone duct their hood recently? Also, for now, no shroud plate mounted.

The exhaust? I don't really understand this question. There's two ducts, one for the intercooler and one for the battery tray. Any remaining air that isn't used in the engine would go through the exhaust or be used recirculating through the intake. The setup on the OEM hoods is perfect engineering. It makes sense, and it actually works very well. The only issue is fuel cut because there's a lack of piping and you're getting too much air into the engine/turbo (especially in cold weather).

Last edited:
The exhaust? I don't really understand this question. There's two ducts, one for the intercooler and one for the battery tray. Any remaining air that isn't used in the engine would go through the exhaust or be used recirculating through the intake. The setup on the OEM hoods is perfect engineering. It makes sense, and it actually works very well. The only issue is fuel cut because there's a lack of piping and you're getting too much air into the engine/turbo (especially in cold weather).

Okay, at the risk of insulting your intelligence, let's get very basic here.
Hot air from the turbo goes through the inside of the IC to the intake of the engine.
Cold air from the front of the car is channelled across the intercooler, extracting the heat from the air inside the intercooler. The air blowing across the intercooler is now hot. We are wondering if improvement could be made to what happens to this hot air, like providing a nice clear path for it and all the other hot air under the hood to escape to the outside, thereby minimizing the dreaded heatsoak problem. By heatsoak we refer to all the components and metal tubing under the hood through which the intake air passes, not just the IC. A cooler engine compartment in general should (theoretically) mean a cooler intake charge, which is denser and less likely to lead to knock, both of which mean more power.

Back