Picked up a 2008 Mazda5 Touring MANUAL today.

jeebusm3

:
yes
Yes, I said Touring manual. I really don't know how this particular car exists since Mazda says all Tourings are Auto for 2008. I ran into this car a few weeks back at the dealer, and we decided it was everything we wanted. Today we decided to go ahead and bite.

I will post some pics soon. It's dark out now. So far we love it. We are replacing our Honda Fit with it because our family is growing. As much as we love the Honda Fit, it's just not gonna cut it as our primary family hauler for 2 kids and a dog. The Mazda5 doesn't feel slow at all with the manual trans...feels a bit peppier than the Fit.

Got the price down to invoice without much haggling too. (whip)

I'm in San Diego, CA. So far we really love the car. Hopefully we keep it a long time (we don't have a good track record there...car swap junkies LOL). But this just seems like the perfect combination of everything for us.

We had a Mazda3 in '04, and we liked it a lot. But it kept getting a dang CEL for emissions-related equipment and after 10 times at the dealer we just got rid of it. I think it was a combination of; first-production run, a bad dealer service dept, and crappy luck. I hope most of the bugs in the 3 platform are sorted by now. I know the 5 has a few little kinks of its own (or so I hear) but I think it will be fine.

I will take pics but it's been raining all day here so far.

It's been raining all day and my tree keeps dropping white flakes all over, but here are some pics anyway. When the sun comes out I'll clean it up and take more exterior pics.

P2223082.jpg

P2223083.jpg

P2223084.jpg

P2223072.jpg

P2223073.jpg

P2223075.jpg

P2223076.jpg

P2223077.jpg

P2223078.jpg

P2223079.jpg

P2223080.jpg

^^ Nice pics! I wouldn't mind the Touring fogs and the moonroof. As per the the folding 2nd row table, it is a good thing, but since I have toddler seats in both my cars the empty seat tray and the open aisle fit my needs better.

Good find!

very nice!

they do sell the touring with a manual. ive seen one at my local mazda dealer when my best friend was gonan buy it. but it wasnt the right color he wanted, and they were not able to source the color, with a MTX so he ended up buying a 06 MPV instead. (mainly to make his wife happy) :(

Looks great. I envy you the manual. Auto is nice sometimes too, but if I'd had a choice of 2 tourings, same color, one with auto and the other manual...i'd have gotten the manual...

Great pics, and thanks for the heads-up. I try to keep my pricing database accurate at TrueDelta, and have the Touring listed as auto-only. Do you know the base MSRP before destination for yours?

The Mazda5 would be perfect for me, except I need a three-across in the second row. I really wish they'd offer this option. Totally agree that it feels peppier with the manual; that's how I'd want one.

Great pics, and thanks for the heads-up. I try to keep my pricing database accurate at TrueDelta, and have the Touring listed as auto-only. Do you know the base MSRP before destination for yours?

The Mazda5 would be perfect for me, except I need a three-across in the second row. I really wish they'd offer this option. Totally agree that it feels peppier with the manual; that's how I'd want one.

The MSRP was around $19,600 before destination. I got it for $18,500 before destination. I came in with a check from CapitalOne auto-finance. They tried to hard to beat my interest rate, and offered me 60mos @4.95% but I already had 4.9% so...too bad for them!

By the way, I highly recommend CapitalOne auto-finance. I have bought at least 3 cars this way. We apply online, get approved instantly, and have a check fedexed the next morning. Walking into the dealer with a check makes things so much easier. That way they can't keep trying to scam you with financing BS.

Nice pics!

I think the "white flakes" from are petals. You must have almond tree(s) nearby; they are usually the first ones to flower amongst the stonefruit family.

But as this is not a gardening thread...

I found a manual trans Touring model in Atlanta also and that made me curious...

I went inside the showroom and asked if they could get a Touring trim in a manual and they said it wasn't an option. Then I showed them the car on the lot.... They didn't know what to say.

Both the dealer, and MazdaUSA via phone, are claiming that they are NOT available in this trim combination and the ones out there must be "mistakes".

Did the window sticker clearly identify it as "Touring" or did it show "Sport" with all the options that add it up to a Touring model?

I'm a little pissed as I would have snagged a Touring trim with a manual had I known I could get one.

Last edited:
Did the window sticker clearly identify it as "Touring" or did it show "Sport" with all the options that add it up to a Touring model?

Too much of a hassle to do that IMO, it should be a Mazda USA mistake. My thoughts are: the production line in Japan makes the cars for Mexico, US and Canada (give or take some things). Canada has the MT option in the GT (Touring or up-to Grand Touring for the US), so I think is not that difficult to just park the finished one in the US lot ready to be shipped.

I would have gone for any 2008 MZ5 out there that had MT, The Touring stuff would have been welcomed, but also the $$$ money I did not spend was very welcomed. The popular package (which was also indicated as not available with MT cars) is enough for me :D

But if it is simply a Canadian GT badged as a Touring model here in the US then these models should have bluetooth and heated mirrors. I would sorta expect the display to be primarily in metric also.

To the OP... Does your model have bluetooth and heated mirrors?

But if it is simply a Canadian GT badged as a Touring model here in the US then these models should have bluetooth and heated mirrors. I would sorta expect the display to be primarily in metric also.

To the OP... Does your model have bluetooth and heated mirrors?

(encourage (doh), true, so it is not parking on the other side only, also those DRLs come into play :D.

But still, the production line does not need radical options such as 2.0L engine, a 6MT Diesel engine or completely different front grilles, front and back bumpers plus other colors like in Europe and Asia.

My wild/ignorant guess, don't take my word to the cent (dunno)

The GT Model adds to the GS Model:
- 17" Alloy wheels
- All-season 205/50 R17 tires
- Power Moonroof
- Fog lights
- 6 Speakers (vs. 4 speakers)
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- LED taillights
- Anti-theft alarm system
- Easy close sliding door system
- Cruise control
- Center row, fold-out table/cargo bin
- Heated body coloured power door mirrors
- Leather-wrapped shift knob
- Rear roof spoiler
- Sporty side sills
- A/C with auto climate control and outside temperature display
- Bluetooth Hands-Free Phone System

Options for GT:
- Leather seats
- Heated driver and front passenger seats
- Voice activated Navigation System with touchscreen (MP3 compatible) and 6-disc in-dash CD changer
- 5-speed Sport mode Automatic transmission

My understanding was that the Grand Touring was only in an autotragic, and that the touring always was available with stick. It's what I'll get, if we get a 5!

Edit: The mazda website, under "build a Mazda" doesn't give the option of building a manual Touring, though. Hmm??

Edit again: if you go to "compare trim levels" the manual is available in Sport and Touring. Someone at Mazda I.T. is confused!

Last edited:
Back