Chirping Sound Near Drive Belts

carter1551

:
03 Mp5
Hey guys, so my p5 has been making this strange chirping sound. Its only when the car is cold and in gear. If im in park and the car is cold it wont make any noise. It seems to do it under low rpm throttle and at idle in gear. Once the car warms up I dont hear it again. The chirping goes something like this, chirp chirp chirp. its not a continuous screeching like I know a slipping belt would cause. Ive checked the belts and they all seem plenty tight. I even tightened up the belts a whole lot more to the point where i couldnt bend them much at all and it still chirps. It sounds like its coming from somewhere near the belts but I cant pinpoint the exact location. Can anyone help me out? Id really appreciate it.

By your description, it sounds like a possible worn timing belt idler or tensioner bearing. How many miles are on the car?

I second the Timing belt idea but your belt must be really mess up for you to hear the sound over the engine's noise though. I had a similar problem but it turn out to be my Intake. It had a leak so it was more of a whistling sound. Do you have an after market intake or stock? In addition, the hard thing about engine noise is that it really never comes from where you think it comes from so goodluck.

bout 50k. I guess i should check out the timing belt. I sprayed some belt conditioner on the belts to see if that helped. Problem is i wont know until i go into work tomorrow since the car hasnt gotten a chance to cool down.

Thanks for responding, didnt think id get a response

I second the Timing belt idea but your belt must be really mess up for you to hear the sound over the engine's noise though. I had a similar problem but it turn out to be my Intake. It had a leak so it was more of a whistling sound. Do you have an after market intake or stock? In addition, the hard thing about engine noise is that it really never comes from where you think it comes from so goodluck.

i do have an aftermarket intake but im 100% its not the intake. I do have a UDP, shoulda mentioned that in the first post, hope that thing isnt biting me in the ass right now

Carefully listen at each component for the bad bearing. Most likely is the waterpump. Use a sthescope or a long socket extension. Again, be careful around all the moving bits, eh?

Back