Sway Bar Link

speedblue88

:
2003 Laser Blue P5
Ok, so I've got a broken sway bar link. How tough is this to fix myself? I know almost nothing about suspension or steering fixes FYI. Thanks.

Ok, so I've got a broken sway bar link. How tough is this to fix myself? I know almost nothing about suspension or steering fixes FYI. Thanks.

I'm guessing your refering to the "endlinks"; if so you might want to replace both sides (i.e. LR & RR or FR & FL etc), its really not that hard.

I put all 4 new on mine in about 2 hours or less. The only reason it took so long was because I had to cut mine out. (Rust)

I had to cut mine out too due to rust, here's a good tip if you have a die grinder or something to cut the nut off, CUT AT AN ANGLE!, and don't cut the whole nut, it relieves the nut of some "pressure" and you can easily take it off with an impact or air rachet.

Hmmm.....thanks for the feedback. This seems a bit out of my relam apparently. I don't have an air ratchet or any special tools for that matter.

no need, but it does help. get a metal pipe, and slide it over the ratchet. itll give you some extra torque. ive done two spring installs without air tools. it can be done. soak the nut in pb blaster and give it a few minutes. makes things so much easier.

Dang that sucks man! You can do this yourself! If it's not rusted it just the two nuts no big deal, but if you look at it and it's full of rust, it just takes some patience and lots of PB blaster, like the other guys said, you should def. up grade both endlinks at once and hell, replace the sway bar too!(lol2)
Use the search and you'll learn about the problems people have come up against, the key is you'll be proud that you learned something and did it your self!!
100_0717.jpg
100_0712.jpg

100th post!!!--puts on hat and blows whistle--!!!

I had to cut mine out too due to rust, here's a good tip if you have a die grinder or something to cut the nut off, CUT AT AN ANGLE!, and don't cut the whole nut, it relieves the nut of some "pressure" and you can easily take it off with an impact or air rachet.

An air chisel is ideal for this job. Two second of chiseling and those nuts are dust.

Then the question is.......What broke it & are you just gonna break the new ones? I'm running stockers for 75k now with progress 22mm rr sway & tokico illuminas with no problems. Stock sway up front with illuminas. Oh yeah, lowered 1.3 frnt/bck too.

I'm guessing your refering to the "endlinks"; if so you might want to replace both sides (i.e. LR & RR or FR & FL etc), its really not that hard.

I put all 4 new on mine in about 2 hours or less. The only reason it took so long was because I had to cut mine out. (Rust)

How did you cut the front endlinks off? I got all but the bottom bolt with ball joint removed. Since the bolt faces inward I could not get any tools in there. I think I might just cut the ball joint off and drill them out after that. So if you have any tips for me that would be great. Thanks, Dan

I used a small grinder type tip on my air tool and cut the nut off, the rest just came right out...

But your option at this point might work to... just a bit more work pending on your tool's

How did you cut the front endlinks off? I got all but the bottom bolt with ball joint removed. Since the bolt faces inward I could not get any tools in there. I think I might just cut the ball joint off and drill them out after that. So if you have any tips for me that would be great. Thanks, Dan

I got mine off with a wiz wheel, a dremel could do the trick too but will take a little bit longer. If you can jack the car up high enough you can get some better angles on it. A lift makes it soooo much easier.

Back