02 Protege5 Polished Rims question...?

domingo79

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I just bought an 02 MP5 and I noticed there is some corrosion around the center cap of the rims. They are the polished rims and I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and also if there are any products that will get rid of it or if I am doomed to spend the money to replace them or re-dip them? I will post pics of what I am talking about very soon, thank you.

From a chemist stand point, you could make a paste of water and baking soda should neutralize the corrosion and then hit the corrosion with a tooth brush.

Not much you can do except keep it from spreading. I have the same problem on mine as well.

I've been thinking about sanding down the first layer and reclearing it but I'm not sure if there's a clear of if it's dipped.

I actually like the alloy look better so when they are finally doomed I'm going to sand them all down and spray paint them.

Pics...

Ok, I am attaching some pics of what I am talking about to better show the problem at hand!! Someone please tell me I can get rid of it, if not then how do I stop it from getting worse. I will try the water and baking soda method, are there any more suggestions!

DSCF1995.jpg

DSCF1994.jpg

That's exactly what mine look like - only not as bad. Can anyone here confirm if they are dipped or cleared? If they are cleared I'm sure you could just do what I mentioned and reclear them after sanding them down a little.

Back