Spare Key & Fob Programming for Mazda5

This worked great for my 2010 Mazda5 GT. I bought a 3rd flip remote with blank key from Ebay (keygirl200902) for $40 + $8 shipping, had it cut locally for $5 and had it progranmmed within a minute using the instructions in the first post. Worked perfectly.

Thank-you OP!

That's who I bought our 2 from also. Super fast shipping and perfectly new.

thanks for the info. I accidentally threw out our brand new Mazda 5 key fob (switchblade) in the garbage. We've bought a new one off of ebay, but now need to go to the dealer to get it reprogrammed and cut (as we only have one copy of the original set of keys). Does anyone know how much the dealer charges to reprogram the switchblade type of remote key fob/key, as well as cutting the blank key on the switchblade?

You can get it cut at any locksmith/key cutting place, just push the roll-pins out and take the blank and cut parts in so they can clamp them properly.

Ask how much to program, and if it's too high, like $200, tell them that's not good enough because it's seriously about 10 minutes of work if that.

... Does anyone know how much the dealer charges to reprogram the switchblade type of remote key fob/key, as well as cutting the blank key on the switchblade?
Maybe a half hour of labor to program it? It's one of those things that can vary from dealer to dealer, call around and get quotes from at least three.

As far as the key fob itself, you can buy it off of eBay and have it cut by a locksmith, or you can buy a keyfob that comes precut (based off of your VIN) for about $176 shipped, then take that to the dealer to be programmed. That is, you don't have to buy the key at the dealer to have them program it, those are two different transactions.

With regard to prices, take a look at post #26 from this thread:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-for-Mazda-5&p=4607306&viewfull=1#post4607306

Also, consider picking up a “normal” key, no fob, as a spare. Part number F1Y1762GX, cost will be about $23 at an online dealer, $30 at your local dealer (costs include the cutting).

Also remember that the key and remote portions of the flip key are separate parts and can be purchased separately. The key section with the transponder is the same across all Mazdas with the flip key (p/n G2YA762GXA) and can be had for ~$37 cut and shipped to your door from onlinemazdaparts. Alternately you can go aftermarket for $18 HERE. You can either get the remote section at the same time or you can shop around and find one cheaper somewhere else.

The only thing the dealer must program for you if you have only one key is the new "2nd" key. You can program the new remote portion yourself and you only need one working key to do that (you'd also need to reprogram in any working remotes at the same time for them to continue working). Assuming the process is the same as it is on the 3 then for the dealer to plug into the computer, clear the existing key codes and reprogram it with the new ones takes about 45 minutes. In any case most dealers are going to want to charge a full hour's labor for 30-45 minutes of work. I've seen members get quoted $150 for programming. I've seen people have it done for free by congenial SM's. Most people pay around $50-75 for programming.

To make sure it doesn't happen again I suggest what Heat just mentioned. Get a standard transponder key either OEM or aftermarket in addition to whatever key you buy to replace your lost one. Have the dealer program the second key for you and then program the third yourself for free. That way should you ever lose a key again you can just replace it yourself for the cost of a key without having to pay the dealer for any programming. You can get an aftermarket standard transponder key for about $9 HERE.

If you don't need the second remote and don't want to spend the money now you can always just get a new standard key (or two if you take my suggestion) for the moment. If you want a new flip key later you can get one and add it... you can have up to eight keys and three remotes.

Now completely separately I've heard from some Mz3 owners that you can get some locksmiths to "clone" a RFID key for you. Basically overwrite the RFID of a new key to match an existing key. So you'd end up with two physical keys which worked, but you wouldn't be able to use them to program additional new keys since the car would see them as the same key. Apparently people have had this done really inexpensively so it might be something to look into.

Also remember that the key and remote portions of the flip key are separate parts and can be purchased separately. The key section with the transponder is the same across all Mazdas with the flip key (p/n G2YA762GXA) and can be had for ~$37 cut and shipped to your door from onlinemazdaparts. Alternately you can go aftermarket for $18 HERE. You can either get the remote section at the same time or you can shop around and find one cheaper somewhere else.

The only thing the dealer must program for you if you have only one key is the new "2nd" key. You can program the new remote portion yourself and you only need one working key to do that (you'd also need to reprogram in any working remotes at the same time for them to continue working). Assuming the process is the same as it is on the 3 then for the dealer to plug into the computer, clear the existing key codes and reprogram it with the new ones takes about 45 minutes. In any case most dealers are going to want to charge a full hour's labor for 30-45 minutes of work. I've seen members get quoted $150 for programming. I've seen people have it done for free by congenial SM's. Most people pay around $50-75 for programming.

To make sure it doesn't happen again I suggest what Heat just mentioned. Get a standard transponder key either OEM or aftermarket in addition to whatever key you buy to replace your lost one. Have the dealer program the second key for you and then program the third yourself for free. That way should you ever lose a key again you can just replace it yourself for the cost of a key without having to pay the dealer for any programming. You can get an aftermarket standard transponder key for about $9 HERE.

If you don't need the second remote and don't want to spend the money now you can always just get a new standard key (or two if you take my suggestion) for the moment. If you want a new flip key later you can get one and add it... you can have up to eight keys and three remotes.

Now completely separately I've heard from some Mz3 owners that you can get some locksmiths to "clone" a RFID key for you. Basically overwrite the RFID of a new key to match an existing key. So you'd end up with two physical keys which worked, but you wouldn't be able to use them to program additional new keys since the car would see them as the same key. Apparently people have had this done really inexpensively so it might be something to look into.

On the same website as above, there is a link to a transponder key (http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mazda-m3-m6-4d-transponder-smart-key-16640). It says it is for Mazda3 or Mazda6. Does anyone know whether it also works for Mazda5? Thanks.

Yes.

Both of the links above are pointing to the same item, but one of the discussion comments lists that it is "Also for Mazda 5".

Will a non-switchblade remote fob from a Mazda3 work on a Mazda5? I already have the non-switchblade transponder key as a back-up and I wanted a regular key fob to go with it.

I am not having any luck programing a new key for my '12.

Bought this key from extreme deals - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mazda-m3-m6-4d-transponder-smart-key-16640

I had local locksmith cut the blank key. The newly cut key turned the door lock but since it was not programmed it would not unlock the door.

I came home and printed out the instructions in the 1st post for registering an additional key using two valid keys.

1. Insert Key 1, turn the ignition switch to ON, verify security light illuminates for aprox. 3 seconds then goes out.
2. Insert Key 2 - same.
3. Insert Key 3 (new key) - turn ignition switch to ON - security lights flashes and keeps on flashing.

New key does not unlock door nor start car. New key will lock door and turn ignition switch to ON. I will try again tomorrow, I hope I did not blow $11.00 on a Key that won't work. Next step will be to order a key cut using the VIN from Montgomery Mazda.

Gil

Unless Mazda changed something and added RFID readers into the doors then a properly cut key should unlock the doors...... I mean it's just a mechanical tumbler.

Will a non-switchblade remote fob from a Mazda3 work on a Mazda5? I already have the non-switchblade transponder key as a back-up and I wanted a regular key fob to go with it.

You'd need to play around and see if any of the regular remote fobs work on the same coding as the Mz5 flip key. Not all of them are the same.

O.K. , so what iscpots said makes sense, I went back to the locksmith who shaved off a fraction recutting the key. The key will now lock and unlock the door. However, it still will not program to start the car.

1. Key one, ignition on, security light on for 3 secs. then off.
2. Key two, same.
3. Key three, ignition on but security light just flashes and does not go off. Car will not start.

Maybe I got a bad RFID key.

O.K. , so what iscpots said makes sense, I went back to the locksmith who shaved off a fraction recutting the key. The key will now lock and unlock the door. However, it still will not program to start the car.

1. Key one, ignition on, security light on for 3 secs. then off.
2. Key two, same.
3. Key three, ignition on but security light just flashes and does not go off. Car will not start.

Maybe I got a bad RFID key.

Hi Gil, are you sure you got a key with the transponder? The transponder chip is located in a cavity behind the Mazda emblem. You can check and see if you have the chip by prying the emblem off. The chip is plastic, rectangular shaped, and is glued inside this cavity. Or, you just might have gotten a defective key.

Checked key - popped emblem and it does have a transponder chip as described above but it is not glued inside the cavity as I can remove it. Tried to program again tonight but still did not work. Think I will give deal extreme customer service a shot. Then plan B - Montgomery Mazda and my dealer to check prices on a third key. I really want to have a third key programmed for a backup.

Update. I bought a third key from my local dealer for $28. Part No. F141762GX. I programmed it myself in about 30 seconds using the above process. Interesting part is they punched it out rather than cut it. Used my Key number to setup a machine that looked like a one-hole paper puncher that they hit with their hand to punch cut my key. They were impressed with the price of my Internet Key - $9.50 shipped free from Hong Kong, however, I was not impressed with the qualtity. You sometimes get what you pay for, in this case, I got a cheap key with a dead Transformer chip.

Gil

Update. I bought a third key from my local dealer for $28. Part No. F141762GX. I programmed it myself in about 30 seconds using the above process...
Everybody should buy one of these as a backup, or for times when you think that your keys might get wet. This is the only key I use (smaller than the switchblade style key, so easier to keep on my keychain in my pocket).

Ourmazdas, I also saw this advertised at Ace Hardware. They claim they can copy my single M5 key for $90. Is it true then that all they are doing is cloning the key and really the CAR needs to be programmed to accept a new unique key in order to be able to use those two to program a third? So it really does mean that you have to take your car in to the dealer, absolutely no other options? No hacks out there through the ODB II port to simulate the WDS (what the hell is that anyway) system?

*EDIT*
So after reading through this thread for 2 hours, yes, one key people like me have no choice but to visit the dealer, unless they want a clone key (from Ace or locksmith) which will not allow them to make a 3rd key. I am going the eBay route for a key/fob combo, seems like people have had success with that.

On a side note, I challenge anyone to tell us what "fob" stands for, or where the term came from.
Also, what is the DWS or WDS system that Mazda dealers use to make keys?

Anyone?

Jive

Last edited:
(Sigh, my web browser just ate this long post... :( Gonna try again!)

First post, please be gentle. :) I have a 2010 Mazda5 Sport AT. I somehow lost just the upper half of my switchblade fob, the part that houses the key and transponder*, and am looking to replace it. As I understand it, I only need to buy G2YA762GXB (the "key half") since I still have the "remote half" (CC43675RYC) and it still works.

I can find G2YA762GXB on OnlineMazdaParts.com and also here, but since I'll also have to pay the dealer to program the keys, I was hoping for the part to be more affordable, maybe aftermarket or even used/cut, and I could just buy a blank blade and have it cut and inserted into the key half of the fob.

So I turn to eBay for cheaper alternatives, but searching G2YA762GXB only returns full fobs, not just the key half, and they're all cut. I did find two listings, one https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned), one https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned), for uncut key halves, but the part number used was not something I've come across here or on other Mazda-related forums: NEY5762GXA.

I searched for NEY5762GXA on OnlineMazdaParts.com and the description under OEM Catalog was "KEY,BLANK-PRIMARY" but unfortunately no picture or list of compatible cars was available. For reference, the OEM Catalog description of G2YA762GXB was "KEY,RETRACTABLE KEY" with various descriptions under the Collision Catalog. They could be the same part, but I wonder why NEY5762GXA is more expensive than G2YA762GXB there.

$15 used and $20 new for what's listed on eBay as OEM parts for the key half of the fob is a great price. The listings say they're compatible with my car, but I want to know if they'll fit with the remote half of my fob. If anyone is familiar with part NEY5762GXA, please shed some light. Thanks!

*I read post #26 on this thread, but I'm still confused on terminology. As I understand it, the half that I lost is part G2YA762GXB, with the key and transponder (RFID chip under Mazda logo). The other half, with the buttons, is part CC43675RYC. The "key half" is around $50 retail (OEM) and the "remote half" is around $150 retail (OEM). However, on this thread and in other forum posts on this and other Mazda-related sites, the term "transponder" sometimes seems to refer to the remote half as well.

For example, in post #26 itself, Heat describes CC43675RYC as the "transponder part of switchblade style key" [emphasis mine] and G2YA762GXB as the "key part of switchblade style key" (which I interpret as not having a transponder). Later in that post he describes F1Y1762GX as a "normal" key "without the transponder / fob" [emphasis mine], but as I understand it, that type of key does have a transponder in it and can be used to start the car if programmed. Is there a transponder in both halves of the remote?

Last edited:
thiscloud, you brought up some great points about the terminology that we use here and I'm actually surprised no one's responded yet. I bought a used Mz5 2 years ago, got 1 fob, and never followed through on getting a 2nd. Well, I spent about an hour perusing the 137 posts in this thread and came away thinking that the transponder is the chip required to start the car and is located in the remote part of the fob. Then your post clarified where the chip is really located. For the last 2 days, I decided to detach the remote from my fob and used only the key portion to start and drive my car and it works fine (the remote was in the back seat, not sure if I needed to completely remove it from the car). The chip is in the key portion of the fob. The word transponder is a little misleading because I think most people associate that word with what actually will allow your engine to start.

The whole reason I'm investigating this is because I'm wondering if there's a way to bypass the immobilizer feature by affixing the chip inside the steering column somehow and use cheapo $3 keys to start and drive the car. I think it sucks to have to spend $150+ for a 2nd fob and programming that you may not ever need. And I'm not particularly worried about theft. The Mz5 is not really a chop-shop car and what thief would wanna take a van (let's face it, most people think of it as a van but we know better) on a joyride?

So I bought an fob off ebay and the dealer said he couldn't cut it right so it wouldn''t turn. He sold me a new key and I haggled a lower price since it was their issue.

Anyway since I had an extra key-end I got a key shell from dealextreme and dismantled the key-end from ebay. I stuck the transponder into the shell, but it won't program.

Any ideas why this wouldn't work.

Thanks,
jcrog

Back