Spare Key & Fob Programming for Mazda5

Just adding on that I got my key for $12.50 shipped from this site.

Got the key cut at a locksmith and it did not fit completely in the door and ignition locks. Turned out to be the same issue as mentioned in earlier posts, see #68 on page 5.

Last edited:
The local dealer I called wanted $350 for a new key, fob and programming. WTF?

You can get a blank key & fob from ebay for much less $$. I got just the plain jane key w/ the transponder/chip. I don't like to carry a big lump in my pocket from the switchblade key or key and door fob, so I just carry a key and use the key lock on the handle. If you only have ONE key, then the 2nd key must be programmed by the dealer, if you have TWO keys and just getting a 3rd key, you can program the 3rd.

European Mazda Premacy 2004 22.0 L diesel remote key fob

Hi all. I'm a newbie and have read with interest all the advice on reprogramming key fobs.
My Premacy came with only 1 remote and 2 keys. The remote ceased to work about a month ago so I replaced the battery and it still didn't work so after hunting the internet I found your very helpful instructions and I now have a working remote again.
My wife has now begun to agitate for a remote of her own. My question is if I buy a second remote can it be programmed by itself or must both remotes be in the car during the operation.

You'll need both remotes if you re-program.
When you perform the programming you're basically telling the car that "These are the keys that I want you to acknowledge. Ignore anything you knew before."

yes you can, but you need to get a compatible fob, look on the back of your current fob and there is a series of numbers/codes/frequencies on the case, you need to match these up so it will be compatible with your car

^^^^
Actually the numbers and codes are inside the FOB, the key end has to be un-clipped from the remote button end.

See the bottom picture in post #57 in this thread. The numbers are VERY SMALL.

Then match them to FOB that are for sale on eBay, some with used keys, some with new blank keys.

I got a used key one, and then 2 blank 'bayonet' keys, got the blank keys cut, put one in the used FOB I got, and followed the instructions in post #1 in this thread to program the FOB and then the ignition key..it's two separate steps, and now have a 3rd FOB with ignition key.

Premacy fob reprogramme

Thanks for your replies. So let me ask, do the keys as well as the fobs need to be in the car during reprogramme sequence. (the key is separate from the fob)??

Last edited:
you will need to have all the keys &/or fobs you are programming with you when you do it as you have to do all the keys at the same time and all of the fobs at th same time. You don't have re-program the keys if you just add another fob, and vice versa.

you will need to have all the keys &/or fobs you are programming with you when you do it as you have to do all the keys at the same time and all of the fobs at th same time. You don't have re-program the keys if you just add another fob, and vice versa.

Now I'm thoroughly confused. I have a key and fob which work a treat, I also have another key which opens the doors and starts the car. All I need to do is programme the new fob ------ can someone please tell me exactly what I need to have with me when I programme the new fob?

Now I'm thoroughly confused. I have a key and fob which work a treat, I also have another key which opens the doors and starts the car. All I need to do is programme the new fob ------ can someone please tell me exactly what I need to have with me when I programme the new fob?

There are 2 different things, one is for programing just the transponder to start the car and the other is to program a new switch blade key fob to lock and unlock the car doors(keyless entry system). I've never done it myself but here is the procedure (from Wikimedia.org) for programing a new switch blade key fob for the keyless entry system.

Mazda_Guide-Protege_5-Programming_Key_Fobs-Instructions.jpg

To just program a key with the build in transponder (need 2 working keys) to start the car follow the steps listed in the thread. Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

hi all,

i just bought a 2010 mazda5 sport MT and i wanted to share how i went about adding a third remote and transponder key for under $20:

first, i picked up a slightly used remote on ebay for $16, shipped. it was the complete remote with transponder chip and blade pre-cut to someone else's car:

4903440940_08a529f540.jpg

next, i bought a non-transponder generic key blank at my local ACE hardware (ilco key # X249). it cost me $2.50, and i had them cut it using my factory key as a template. i verified that the ilco key copy worked the door tumbler and could turn the ignition switch:

4902852527_6b94030638.jpg

next, i used removed the pre-cut key blade from the used remote by punching out the small pin that holds the key blade in the remote assembly. i clamped the key blade to the new ilco key with a pair of visegrips, lining up the blades as closely and possible, and used a dremel rotary tool with cut-off wheel to trim the head of the ilco key to match the factory key blade:

4902860877_6b4113a69c.jpg

4902863523_e2b849a014.jpg

4903451882_7bcbb59746.jpg

lastly, i assembled the generic key blade into the remote assembly and followed the key transponder and keyless remote programming instructions in the first post of this thread using the original two keys that the car came with... voila! for $18.50 i have a 3rd key and remote. it's not perfect: the blade is ever so slightly crooked when open (see pic below), but this does not affect its function in any way.

4902869447_fbf807bea7.jpg

Last edited:
Bayonet key blanks available on eBay for 2 for about $15.00, no cutting required.

But your method is quite ingenious, glad it worked.

That 3rd key/FOB is basically 'insurance' against excessive charges from a dealer to make you a 2nd key if you loose one. Pretty cheap backup, and can be used to repeat the process with another FOB & key if necessary.

Thanks for that Ilco key number for the flat key. I got one made early on to just open the door (but it had some other number on it) so I don't have to carry the FOB while I'm cycling. I might get one more made now just in case.

That 3rd key/FOB is basically 'insurance' against excessive charges from a dealer to make you a 2nd key if you loose one. Pretty cheap backup, and can be used to repeat the process with another FOB & key if necessary.

exactly! that's the only reason i did this. i may even consider buying a few extra transponder keys (without remote) since the vehicle can accept up to eight keys.

Cant program the third key

I ordered Mazda5 key from the ausnar site and received the spare key for $12.50 delivered but so far no success in programming it. Followed the same procedure as others here but not sure where I am going wrong.

1. Insert 1st key and turn to '"ON" position (without actually starting the car)
2. Remove key as soon as red key sign disappears and insert 2nd key and turn to ON position.
3. Wait for 2 seconds and now put the third key (Blank) & turn to ON position.
4. The Red car key flashes continuously and wont go away. Even waited for more than 30 seconds on last key.

I Have two flip transponder keys & they work fine. One of the keys was replaced by Mazda under warranty due to a button fell off so not sure if the reason for not programming is due to that copied key?

Any help is appreciated?Thanks
Resan.

Last edited:
I ordered Mazda5 key from the ausnar site and received the spare key for $12.50 delivered but so far no success in programming it. Followed the same procedure as others here but not sure where I am going wrong.

1. Insert 1st key and turn to '"ON" position (without actually starting the car)
2. Remove key as soon as red key sign disappears and insert 2nd key and turn to ON position.
4. The Red car key flashes continuously and wont go away. Even waited for more than 30 seconds on last key.

I Have two flip transponder keys & they work fine. One of the keys was replaced by Mazda under warranty due to a button fell off so not sure if the reason for not programming is due to that copied key?

Resan.

are you sure you are correctly following the procedure? your step 3: wait for 2 seconds and now put the third key... sounds like a deviation from the procedure.

the way i did it was this:

insert key 1 -> ON until light out.
within 4 seconds insert key 2 -> ON until light out.
within 4 seconds insert key 3 -> ON until light out.

if you are following this and key 3 (copy) still does not work, then it sounds like you received a key with an incompatible transponder... maybe for a different model mazda?

resan, another suggestion in addition to southpaw's. When you have key #3 in, are either of the other two working keys very close by (ie in the same hand?) This might cause interference (noted from the owner's manual).

I got my key from ausnar and I have a 2009 M5 model.

Resan.

I think that when the #1 key was replaced by Mazda under warranty, they cheated and just added it as a 3rd key, (instead of connecting computer) and now when you are trying to program a new key, you are using keys #2 and #3 as opposed to the required #1 and #2.(nuts)

If this is the case, the solution would be to have the Mazda dealer reflash the computer with 2 of your keys, so that the replaced key code gets bumped from the computer memory.

Last edited:
I think that when the #1 key was replaced by Mazda under warranty, they cheated and just added it as a 3rd key, (instead of connecting computer) and now when you are trying to program a new key, you are using keys #2 and #3 as opposed to the required #1 and #2.(nuts)

If this is the case, the solution would be to have the Mazda dealer reflash the computer with 2 of your keys, so that the replaced key code gets bumped from the computer memory.

I think you are spot on, with the judgement of 3rd key. Dealers perhaps programmed it as a 3rd key and took my master key away from me.

Also a correction on my steps i wrote earlier, I did wait long enough for the key light to go off with both my masters and then inserted the new key.
Both keys I have moved to passenger seat which i think is far enough and dont create any interferance with the new one.

I have 2006 Mazda 5 and people have sucessfully used the same transponder and programmed it.

So far all fingers point to issues due to using the 2nd and 3rd (copied) key being used in programming. Any ideas how to get around. My master key was replaced under warranty and right now will they re-flash it for me outside of the warranty?

Thanks all for helpful tips so far but is any other programming technique that can help me achieve this?

Edit: One more question if I reset the computer will it learn the new keys as the masters so then i can program it? I think the easiest is remove the negative battery terminal for few minutes to reset the computer. How much can I expect the dealer cost if I ask them to reflash it?

Last edited:
Back