Spare Key & Fob Programming for Mazda5

Thanks for all the information posted.

My fob (mazda5 07) is often unresponsive, and I believe this is down to a low battery.
Will replacing the battery myself cause any issues with the programming?

I've found the batteries on eBay for $7: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Seems a lot simpler (and cheaper) than purchasing another key. Anyone know about this?

Thanks in advance

I just ordered a spare key from Ebay
First of all: I was not able to program it for my car :-(

As I needed it as replacement for a broken key (which still worked), I just used the housing and put my electronics into it.

All keys together:

left the new uncut key, in the middle my original spare key and my broken key to the right.

I suppose it's due to the different circuits in the keys. As you can see one has the number JX331BA3802C, the other ends with 5802C

Basically they look identically, despite the battery contact and the IC:

One Chip is labelled MH860-DM98519K the other one MH860-DM98663K.

For completeness I took a picture of the numbers printed onto the key:

I'll go and ask the Ebay dealer if he has a key having a circuitry with the number my key has.
At least it was a cheap solution to get a "new" key. Cheaper then getting one from Mazda.

Maybe if you take it to the dealer they can force program it?

I had the same idea buy some key from ebay and let the dealer program it if its possible even if it isnt the same part nr.

Mazda5 fob won't unlock doors (works otherwise)

I made a 3rd key for my 2007 mazda 5...

I bought a transmitter fob off ebay (~$30). I programmed it using instructions in the PDF file. You can program up to 3 fobs for your car.
-Note that although the PDF specifies it is only for 2006 vehicles below a certain VIN, it worked fine on my 2007.

I bought the RFID key blank from the dealer (~$10?) and had it cut at the local locksmith ($5). You or locksmith will need to tap in the small roll pin to attach key to the fob if it's not already attached. I then programmed the key using instructions in the GIF file. You can program up to 8 blanks this way.

Good luck!

Hey, I'm new to MazdaForums, but I managed to find my way here. I have a 2006 Mazda5 I bought a few months back. it had only one fob. I bought a fob off ebay ($40) and I think I'll have a local locksmith do the cutting and programming ($65). The orginal fob works (mostly), but will not unlock the doors. Any idea's what might be wrong? How to fix it? Thanks!

Hey, I'm new to MazdaForums, but I managed to find my way here. I have a 2006 Mazda5 I bought a few months back. it had only one fob. I bought a fob off ebay ($40) and I think I'll have a local locksmith do the cutting and programming ($65). The orginal fob works (mostly), but will not unlock the doors. Any idea's what might be wrong? How to fix it? Thanks!

Is that for all the doors or just the sliding doors? It is a know problem with the sliding doors not unlocking, there is a service bulletin on this from Mazda.

I think I'll have a local locksmith do the cutting and programming ($65)

Can your locksmith do the programming? You need 2 keys in order to program a 3rd one (safety reasons).

And yes, let us know about the doors (nothing, partial?), Does the red light come up when pressing any button?

Last edited:
I bough this key with build in transponder for under $10US including shipping from here:

sku_16640_2_small.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16640

The only problem with it was the key needed a little filling to work properly and shipping from Hong Kong took just a little over 2 weeks. My M5 came with an after market start with its own remote so it was a bulky having the switch blade key and the after market remote in my pocket. I already have 2 working switch blade keys and I was able to program the key first shoot with the following procedure:

1. Insert first working transponder key into ignition and turn it to the on position, wait 3 seconds and remove key from ignition.

2. Within 5 seconds insert second working transponder key into ignition and turn it to the on position, wait 3 seconds and remove key from ignition.

3. Within 5 seconds insert new key into ignition and turn it to the on position. If car icon in between the speedometer and tachometer stops flashing and than turn off your new key has been programed, if not repeats all 3 steps.

Though I pass this along and happy new year to everyone.

Davebert

I bough this key with build in transponder for under $10US including shipping from here:

sku_16640_2_small.jpg

The only problem with it was the key needed a little filling to work properly and shipping from Hong Kong took just a little over 2 weeks.
Hi Dave,

I bought the same key you did based on your post. Although it appears to have the same profile as the original keys it won't fit in the door or the ignition, either before or after being cut. Can you please tell me where you had to file it to get it to work?

TIA,

Spalding

Hi Dave,

I bought the same key you did based on your post. Although it appears to have the same profile as the original keys it won't fit in the door or the ignition, either before or after being cut. Can you please tell me where you had to file it to get it to work?

TIA,

Spalding

Hi Spalding, I should have made it more clear. The area that I filed was the straight edge that runs the length of the key. If you look carefully or have a caliper to measure the distance between that straight edge and the ridges you will notice that distance is larger on the original key. I took a small file and file that straight edge down on both side of the key. Just file a little at a time on both sides making sure to keep the file flat don't take off too much and test fit the key often.

It took me around 5 minutes and 3 or 4 test fits to get the new key to work. Since a picture is worth 1,000 words here is a picture that I hope you will find it useful.

14y3ity.jpg

Good luck and please update your progress.

Just what I needed! Thanks. I'll post with the results.

Update:

It worked like a charm. I used a very fine triangular jeweler's file and removed a tiny bit of material from both sides of the key as indicated by Davebert above. It didn't take much - only about sixty strokes per side. This photo shows another angle of the key. The surface to be filed is highlighted in red.

KeyShaving.jpg

(Be sure to file both sides of the key.)

Once the key fit into the ignition, the programming sequence described above worked the first time. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

sku_16640_2_small.jpg

The only problem with it was the key needed a little filling to work properly and shipping from Hong Kong took just a little over 2 weeks. My M5 came with an after market start with its own remote so it was a bulky having the switch blade key and the after market remote in my pocket. I already have 2 working switch blade keys and I was able to program the key first shoot with the following procedure:

1. Insert first working transponder key into ignition and turn it to the on position, wait 3 seconds and remove key from ignition.

2. Within 5 seconds insert second working transponder key into ignition and turn it to the on position, wait 3 seconds and remove key from ignition.

3. Within 5 seconds insert new key into ignition and turn it to the on position. If car icon in between the speedometer and tachometer stops flashing and than turn off your new key has been programed, if not repeats all 3 steps.

Though I pass this along and happy new year to everyone.

Davebert

(drinks)

I just programmed two transponder keys for my 2005 Mazda6 this way. (Bought two keys on evilbay and local hardware store cut them both for free)

First time post

My wife and I bought a 5 because we liked it best for getting around town with a new baby. I bought a third transmitter to use in case we lost of our two originals. I followed the service bulletin posted earlier in this thread.

I was able to program the third transmitter --- but it will not start the car.

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong? Is there a programming step I could have missed it? The key cut wrong?

Matt

My wife and I bought a 5 because we liked it best for getting around town with a new baby. I bought a third transmitter to use in case we lost of our two originals. I followed the service bulletin posted earlier in this thread.

I was able to program the third transmitter --- but it will not start the car.

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong? Is there a programming step I could have missed it? The key cut wrong?

Matt

Is this the method u are using?

I just finished doing this with a new fob on my Mazda5. Keep in mind that there are two parts to the programming. One part (the GIF image in the first post) programs the key for the immobilizer. The other part in the PDF is for programming remote portion of the fob. You can program a fob to just open the doors without being able to start the car.

...I was able to program the third transmitter --- but it will not start the car...
You have to program the transmitter, then the chip. Two different processes. Follow the instructions just below your post, and of course welcome to the forum!

I used the instructions in the 1st post with a 2008 mazda5 no problems. I also added a regular mazda transponder key($20 delivered) with an ID of ID4D-63 with no problems. The key looked like Davebert's key but didn't need any additional filing just needed cutting. Thanks for posting the instructions. Now we got 3 keys with remotes and 1 regular key for my key ring. HooRay

I used the instructions in the 1st post with a 2008 mazda5 no problems. I also added a regular mazda transponder key($20 delivered) with an ID of ID4D-63 with no problems. The key looked like Davebert's key but didn't need any additional filing just needed cutting. Thanks for posting the instructions. Now we got 3 keys with remotes and 1 regular key for my key ring. HooRay

can you be specific on which one you got ?
the only one on DX around $20 is http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16639

can you confirm ? thanks ,

It is on the last page and shows this key is "Sold Out". The one on your links looks the same but I do not know if the transponder is compatible.

thanks Dave for the prompt answer, sorry which last page, do you have direct link to the specific item , or product# on DX so I can search ?

Edit , never mind I got it , it's the same as you got :)

Last edited:
The normal (no transponder) part number is F1Y1762GX from Mazda. I paid $22.58 for it, already cut, from Montgomery Mazda. Or you can get it for $28.22 (MSRP) cut from your local dealer. These prices were as of last summer.

I just programmed a third key for my 09 Mz5 today, part number is F1Y1762GX , following the instructions in the OP, worked the 1st time. As usual, the guy at the parts desk stated the service dept would have to program the new/3rd key, I said ok.

Latest posts

Back