Spare Key & Fob Programming for Mazda5

Well they are also made by mitsubishi but being the european model I would guess they are incompatible.
My originals match the ebay ones.

Just picked up a 3rd key for my 5 and thanks to the OP I was able to program it in less than 2 minutes! The dealer wanted $100 to program it for me. Big shout out to the OP for posting this!(rockon)(yippy)

Mazda5 key and remote

Thanks for the tips on getting a spare remote key, I emailed Jason at mazdaparts.com and got a quote of $165 for the key and remote with free shipping. Is it a fair price?

You can get them on ebay for less than 30 and program them yourself.

Jason is with Montgomery Mazda though I guess it's possible that there is also a Jason at Med Center Mazda (www.mazdaparts.org). Anyway, in the grand scheme of things, is $165 a fair price for a key and a fob? Heck no, it’s outrageous, but the days of getting a spare key made for 97 cents at Wal-Mart are long-gone, and the $165 is a lot less than your local dealer would charge. And keep in mind that you will need to program the key and fob yourself, though through Montgomery Mazda (and I assume Med Center Mazda) the keys come pre-cut based off of your VIN only. As far as ebay goes – post a link to a $30 key with fob, I’d like to see what one of these auctions look like, and keep in mind that you still have to have the key cut.

Finally, pick up an extra key, part number F1Y1762GX, $22.58 at Montgomery Mazda (MSRP = $28.22) as a spare. And you do have two working keys and two working fobs right now, correct? If no you’ll need to go to the dealer to have your current key / fob reprogrammed as well as the new key. If you have two working keys and two working fobs right now, you can program a third by yourself.

The one I bought on ebay was quite legit, and only cost $3 to have cut at a locksmith. The programming is super easy as long as you already have two working keys.

Mazda5 key

I followed the advises of others on the forum and bought a uncut fob key with remote from ebay for $43 shipped, then paid $5.29 for a local locksmith to cut the key, spent 5 min programming the key and remote and everything worked like a charm.

Total $$ spent is $48.29 (yes I might have overspent a bit on the key cutting part because I didn't want to pay $1 at Lowes and end up screwing myself after hearing the horror story of another poster.)

That's a huge saving over the cheapest dealer online. This forum rocks!

Just a quick question ??

Question?

Don't you guys have the 'NO KEYS AT ALL' system?

p1.jpg

I just have a credit card size 'card' that I put in my wallet and then all i have to do is push the button on the door handle (to unlock the car) then get in and turn the knob.

Just wondering, I've not seen a 'big key' like that before for the Premacy here in Japan.

Peace!(rei)

Last edited:
Help- options to replace lost "switchblade" key fob

Lost a "switchblade" key fob for 2007 Mazda 5.

Dealer quoted me:
$57.04 for a key
PLUS $166 for a fob
PLUS service $$ to have it programmed!! (we want to "lock out" the lost remote.

The dealer's parts rep says there isn't another key option listed in his catalog-just the switchblade.

What are my options??? I just have one switchblade key fob- no other keys.

Thank you!!

In that case you would want to go to the dealer, theres no other way. Even if you still have the 2 keys and made 1 extra keys and then lost 1 key, you still need to see the dealer to lock out the lost key. You dont want anybody to take away your MZ5 do you?

... What are my options??? I just have one switchblade key fob- no other keys.
Pick up a new switchblade style key either from the online places listed in this thread (about $180 or so total), or off of ebay as mentioned above. You'll still have to go to the dealer to have the key / new fob programmed since you have only one.

There is a non-switchblade style key, part number F1Y1762GX, MSRP is about $28. This is what I carry around on my keyring, the fob is too bulky for my taste.

Since you only have one key you have to have the dealer program the second key. Same for the fob. If you had two keys or two fobs you could program a third by yourself, but you can't with only one. Because of this, I highly recommend that you pick up a third key as a spare. Won't be cheap, but think of it as insurance.

I also lost one of my switchblade keys, i have mazda 5 2005.

what i want to ask is how are the keys bought from ebay? are they original oem mazda keys or some cheap ass china copy?

anyone who could recommend one good seller on ebay while your at it. thinking of buying 2 keys with fob
+

In all the auctions that are on Ebay most sellers ask to compare the following numbers with the ones you have on your keys:

FCC ID: KPU41788
IC : 4238A-41525
Visteon No. 41525

What I have on my key is completely different.

MR 1382 ANRT 2005
CE C 5616
Mitsubishi Electric SKE126-01

Also none of the sellers offers a key that has the same buttons like mine. Instead of a panic button, I have a button to disable the car alarm.
Maybe I should add that I live in Germany and have a "European" Mazda 5.

Do the numbers of the keys you purchased on Ebay match what's inside the original keys?

I have exact same part numbers as your and the key looks the same without the third button, i only have 2 buttons and no third one as your disable alarm.

have you found any match?

I have 4 keys for the 07 MZ5. 2 switchblade remotes; a black plastic-head transponder key (42 bucks can. at the dealer); and a 3 dollar metal key that only opens the drivers door (always hidden inside the MZ5). I am thinking of getting a blank switchblade from Ebay to have a backup. I hate paying dealer prices for anything. :0

I have exact same part numbers as your and the key looks the same without the third button, i only have 2 buttons and no third one as your disable alarm.

have you found any match?

Sorry, for not answering back, but somehow the information mail about replies to my posts doesn't get through to my email account.

My original key now finally gave up :-( It's falling apart if I don't put it together with a rubber band. I'll go and order two of the keys off Ebay and try to program them. If I don't succeed I just take the new housing and put the electronics from my old key in there.
I'll let you guys know if it works out.

Ordered Key from Ebay

I just ordered a spare key from Ebay
First of all: I was not able to program it for my car :-(

As I needed it as replacement for a broken key (which still worked), I just used the housing and put my electronics into it.

All keys together:

left the new uncut key, in the middle my original spare key and my broken key to the right.

I suppose it's due to the different circuits in the keys. As you can see one has the number JX331BA3802C, the other ends with 5802C

Basically they look identically, despite the battery contact and the IC:

One Chip is labelled MH860-DM98519K the other one MH860-DM98663K.

For completeness I took a picture of the numbers printed onto the key:

I'll go and ask the Ebay dealer if he has a key having a circuitry with the number my key has.
At least it was a cheap solution to get a "new" key. Cheaper then getting one from Mazda.

Last edited:
I just ordered a spare key from Ebay
First of all: I was not able to program it for my car :-(

As I needed it as replacement for a broken key (which still worked), I just used the housing and put my electronics into it.

All keys together:

left the new uncut key, in the middle my original spare key and my broken key to the right.

I suppose it's due to the different circuits in the keys. As you can see one has the number JX331BA3802C, the other ends with 5802C

Basically they look identically, despite the battery contact and the IC:

One Chip is labelled MH860-DM98519K the other one MH860-DM98663K.

For completeness I took a picture of the numbers printed onto the key:

I'll go and ask the Ebay dealer if he has a key having a circuitry with the number my key has.
At least it was a cheap solution to get a "new" key. Cheaper then getting one from Mazda.

Great info and AGREE cheaper than Mazda dealer (shady)

Peace!(rei)

I'm looking to get a 3rd key but mainly to lock/unlock doors in winter time (ghetto style remote car starter). I was thinking to a cheap key but I found that on Ebay. Do you think that can work on my 08 MZ5?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/2006-2007-06-07-MAZDA-5-RX8-MX5-TRANSPONDER-CHIP-KEY_W0QQitemZ230383682692QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item35a3f00484&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

eab4_12.JPG

They mention only 06-07 models. I don't believe there is much of a diffence between 06-07 and 08 models. What do you think?

Lots of references to Mazda-spec, non-fob transponder keys in these forums. Canadian dealers retail them for between $40 to $60 Can. American $20 to $30. These keys all carry the same part number (which escapes me).

Don't know who makes the key listed on ebay, though.

Back